[Q] sgs2 damaged by rain/water

Search This thread

3l3ctr0

Aug 17, 2011
Here is my short story:
I lost my phone in the garden, after 3 days of searching and as the snow melted, i saw it lying on the ground, unfortunately turned off. Dont think this happend because of low battery rather than because of the water.
After i found it, i immediately dissassembled it without turning on and now its drying..i will wait for some days, until i can get some isopropanol(97% alcohol or so).
The water-indicator is lilac, not shure, but this means damaged by water, right?

So now here are my questions..is there even a chance that the isopropanol might help?..because the phone was turned on as i lost it, and i think it stopped working due to the water, not because of low battery..so is it already to late? Does this method only help if the phone is still working?
And which parts should be bathed in isopropanol ? E.g. is it bad for the camera, the microphones, the screen and the speakers, as i have read somewhere?

And if for example the screen would be damaged, would it be bad for the logicboard, too, if i reassemble it again and test it then?
And is there any possibility i can find out which part is defect, if it won´t work at all?

Are there any other options left for me?

hope this doesnt happen to anyone else;)
greets, electro

Phistachio

Oct 22, 2011
Belgium, BE
Weird... I've gotten lots of rain onto my phone, and no damage at all... But of course that's not the same as dropping it in the snow...

johnebs

Feb 19, 2012
Sadly there is no 100% solution for water damage. My dad once in a while will give a bath to his phones and the best solution I have found is to put the phone in a plastic bag full of rice and leave it there for as long as you can.

Of 3 phones 2 of them were saved using this method (one of them was saved multiple times).

Good luck.

3l3ctr0

Aug 17, 2011
Sadly there is no 100% solution for water damage. My dad once in a while will give a bath to his phones and the best solution I have found is to put the phone in a plastic bag full of rice and leave it there for as long as you can.

Of 3 phones 2 of them were saved using this method (one of them was saved multiple times).

Good luck.

Where these phones still turned on as they got wet and you took them out of the water? Or had they turned off theirselves already?

Which parts of the phone should be bathed?

Thanks guys for your hope;)

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
Put it in a bowl of rice for a few days to let it dry out and see what happens.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rayvenlee

infuse4g

Jun 9, 2011
Just the board. If you drop the phone in it, it will damage other components. Then get a tooth brush and gently clean the board while alcohol is on it. Then check the battery for corrosion on the contacts to see if its fried. If so get a new one soon

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

mariosraptor

Nov 21, 2006
Corfu
Just the board. If you drop the phone in it, it will damage other components. Then get a tooth brush and gently clean the board while alcohol is on it. Then check the battery for corrosion on the contacts to see if its fried. If so get a new one soon

keep it away from mics. clean gently as above mentioned with a medium toothbrush. clean all the board but also clean the connectors such as the connector of lcd both on logic board and lcd itself. clean also all gold contacts such as antenna contacts, buzzer contacts ands earpiece contacts.
isopropanol should be sold on every pharmacy. and if you can find glass fiber sticks to clean gold plated contacts as i mentioned above only if they are corroded.

Last edited:

3l3ctr0

Aug 17, 2011
I have dissassembled my device to the logicboard+camera, there are no mics on it anymore, only problem might be the camera connected to it.
The rest of the phone(display,which is glued to the fronthousing i think, usb-connector, and speakers)is still in the front housing.
I´m on step 6 in ifixit.com teardown, only with camera still connected, if you want to see pics.(sry cant post links)
Everything is covered in rice for 24h now

Would it be okay for the camera to be bathed in alcohol? Because the camera is still connected to the logicboard, and i am not shure whether i should dare disconnecting it..its a very thin connector..??

Did anybody revive his device, which was already turned off because of the water damage? Is this even possible in theory, if the device already shut down itself?
I dont get my hopes up to high:(

But thanks all for your help mates;)

johnebs

Feb 19, 2012
Where these phones still turned on as they got wet and you took them out of the water? Or had they turned off theirselves already?

Which parts of the phone should be bathed?

Thanks guys for your hope;)

Usually the water will only freeze the phone and will remain on until you take the battery out or the battery power is depleted.

Just take it apart and put it in the bag of rice and forget abut it for a couple of days (*you should have already done this by now*).

As for the alcohol cleaning I'v never done that. The idea of the alcohol is to prevent rust but the rice will remove all humidity out of the phone.

Last edited:

3l3ctr0

Aug 17, 2011
Ok so after 4 days of drying, it now shows a triangle and a battery symbole.
Better than nothing i suppose, at least the screen seems to be working:D
Does anybody know what that symbole means? Is just the battery faulty(my hope)?

Makrilli

Dec 12, 2011
Try other battery, if that doesn't help, get new usb board thingy from ebay

Sent from my sgs2 running cm9 using xda app

3l3ctr0

Aug 17, 2011
Great news! I had the chance to try a battery from a friend, and it worked!!
Already ordered a new one, although I am not sure, maybe the voltage from the old one is just too low and recharging would solve the problem, but dont want to risk anything;)

Thanks for your responses all;)

infuse4g

Jun 9, 2011
I probably too late but no dont put the camera in alcohol

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Put it in a bowl of rice for a few days to let it dry out and see what happens.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk