Stop flashing until usb problem is fixed...

Search This thread

The Professor

Jan 23, 2008
Cross-posted from MoDaCo.

Of note for this run:

I used nohup in the recovery script, but I used it successfully before as well.
When I got into recovery, it dropped back to the red triangle; had to re-run the bat file. Again, this has happened before as well.
When I went to create a nandroid backup (nand only), it failed with the "run nandroid-mobile.sh from adb" message.
I haven't bootlooped in a long time.
I hadn't flashed yet; I was backing up in preparation. This fairly clearly points to the recovery method.

Powered off the phone and restarted it into recovery and got the dreaded Qualcomm CDMA device driver pings.
--------------------------------

I flashed many a time before this with no issues. Win 7 x64 desktop using the stock cable on front-facing USB ports. I hadn't flashed a ROM, but I'm running a modified version of eViL's build. Doesn't matter, it seems pretty clear it's a problem with recovery, not the ROM you're using or flashing in that instance.

sruon

May 17, 2010
I have a question... what's bricked user's USB chipset on their computer?

God knows some of them do suck.

The Professor

Jan 23, 2008
ICH10R southbridge, X58 board. DFI X58-T3eH6, Core i7 920, 12GB RAM. Again, I flashed countless times without any issue, using exactly the same methods, cable, port, card reader, everything. That was the only thing that made me give it another shot; if it hadn't happened thus far and was truly a system-related thing, it wasn't going to happen now. It did. Consistency does not apply, unfortunately.

i6bazar

May 23, 2010
Ss soon as people have bricked their phone using the SD card method, I really think it is not a usb-related problem...

All points to a bug in the recovery mode of the phone

DarkMio

Jan 20, 2010
Yeah but he is working on another rooting method which he says will be safer.

Oh, thank you. I thought he ment the 'nohup' option. ;)
Maybe, lets see. I don't flash more until it is 'safe' or I need to send it back.
For so long I live with the 2.1 MoDaCo with working A2SD+.
Enough, atm...

And so long I don't try to modify the design! :D

scotch whisky

Mar 25, 2006
Kent U.K.
I am afraid the message is very clear. In case it is not.............

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have flashed mine 30+ times but have decided to stop living dangerously!

tori007

Apr 17, 2009
Nottingham
hi guys not been online for sometime
this usb brick issue i first experienced it when i flashed an r3 rom i created from the modaco online kitchen
usb wont load i could not load sd card
what i then did was go back to the recovery and flashed pay desire rom and i have been using that since
usb works fine
one thing i remember though is my drivers on my pc is for hero i never updated with desire drivers

hope this helps

@ngel

Apr 29, 2004
Rome
afsoftware.s5.com
I am afraid the message is very clear. In case it is not.............

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have flashed mine 30+ times but have decided to stop living dangerously!
Very good advice, mate. :)

But, despite the fact that I was the guy that first praised for a global flash stop on MoDaCo (I'm 'afiorillo' over there), I just flashed the newest radio and Richard's kernel some minutes ago into my baby. I couldn't resist, it's stronger than me. :D

I never had any of the symptoms that I believe led to "bricking" the Desire (console instability, flickering, etc), NEVER. The database I'm collecting on MoDaCo seems to accomodate this assumption, let's see how the thing will evolve over time.

janvandusschoten

Feb 18, 2010
Hmmm, the last time I flashed, I also saw the red triangle come back a few times, before I came into the custom recovery. I think I was close to bricking my phone...:eek: :eek:

cosmicharade

Apr 12, 2010
Canberra
cosmicharade.com
This is all too much of a concern. The only reason the majority of us want to root is for app2sd which apparently is not guaranteed to work. So I will wait for Android 2.2 to be released on the HTC Desire. If the rumours hold any truth, we should not be waiting past July. Please please please HTC let this be true!

janvandusschoten

Feb 18, 2010
I'm reading Twitters from ahmgsk_mod, and he just made a new recovery with Amon_RA for the Desire. Hope this wil fix/prevent more problems!

Parastic

May 27, 2010
does the usb brick only affect root and custom roms flashing?
I want to unbrand my t-online desire with a WWE stock ROM, is it safe?

TIA,
Para