[APP][4.1+] 8sms: Android 4.4 KitKat / CyanogenMod 10.2 stock messaging with extras

Search This thread

bengtan

Mar 20, 2013
Perth
EDIT: Download 8sms from Google Play or download from the website.

EDIT: 8sms now based on Android 4.4 KitKat / Cyanogenmod 10.2. See post #394.
EDIT: App renamed from 88sms to 8sms. See post #246.

Hi,

This is my first android app and my first app announcement on XDA so apologies in advance if I've broken any rules.

I've ported the stock messaging app and then added some enhancements and changes so it can (hopefully) work on any Jelly Bean phone. This app is downstream from the latest Android 4.3 and CyanogenMod 10.2 (not-yet-released as of writing).

(ICS compatibility is a possible future feature.)

Please have a look if interested and feel free to try it out.

The Play Store link is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thinkleft.eightyeightsms.mms

Excerpts from the app description follows ...

Notable features

• Notification pop-ups
  • Quick reply
  • Gesture based templates
  • Emoji support
  • Optional dark theme
Install this app if you want to use features from the latest Android messaging app without having to wait for a full phone software update.

Usage

Whilst 88sms is a replacement for the messaging app that came with your phone, it is actually an add-on application only.

Please do not disable or remove the messaging app that came with your phone as that is still required to receive sms and mms messages.

88sms works best if you turn off notifications for the messaging app that came with your phone. Then you won't get two sets of notifications.

Phone compatibility

This app may not work (yet) on the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. If you install this app on one of these devices, please let us know if it works.

If you install this app on your phone and it does not work, please let us know. Please be sure to specify your phone model and software version number, and the version of 88sms you have installed.

Permissions

This app requires a wide range of permissions because it is a port of a system app. System apps use a lot of permissions. Full network access is required in order to send (or download) mms using your phone's cellular data (mms) connection.

Thank you.

Last edited:

thophan

Sep 24, 2012
didn't work

@thophan: Hi, thanks for trying out the app. Do you mind if I pm you to find out more and try to fix it? (Although I might not get any free time until a week later.)

Sure, really appreciate it. after install, i open it, but one dialog box appear (it said: sorry...._ i can't remember) then escape the program. i tried several time, same thing. so i uninstall your software. :)

biggggant

Jan 23, 2007
Jacksonville
mms isn't working it just keeps trying to send and never sends. The stock messaging app works fine. I am using a Note 2 on att with a rooted stock rom

Tyler.Boston1

Aug 31, 2012
Yea group messaging doesn't work since the MMS problem. It just stays sending and won't go through.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium

JoeFCaputo113

Feb 2, 2013
New York
On Sprint GS4.... MMS doesn't send on this app :/ but when I go to my stock messaging app it sends and I receive it from both apps, just a little workaround to an otherwise amazing app. Love the look and feel like AOSP! Some custom theming options would be great!

Lyok0ne

Dec 2, 2011
Perpignan
Great app, I already love it... :)
A nice feature that I would like to see is the ability to set the number of line for tying SMS... Because 3 lines is not enough for long SMS typer like me ^^

Sent from my Evo 3D GSM using xda app-developers app

bengtan

Mar 20, 2013
Perth
I will follow up and try to fix the bugs. Unfortunately, I've gone travelling ...

Hi,

Thanks to everyone of you for trying it out and thanks for the encouragement and feedback!

I acknowledge there may be a few problems on some devices ... it is my first app, after all, and it's not like I have a lot of different phones to test it on :)

I will follow up and try to fix the bugs. Unfortunately, I've gone travelling for a week so I might not be able to do much until a week later.

But I will follow up.

Thank you all!

JoeFCaputo113

Feb 2, 2013
New York
Hi,

Thanks to everyone of you for trying it out and thanks for the encouragement and feedback!

I acknowledge there may be a few problems on some devices ... it is my first app, after all, and it's not like I have a lot of different phones to test it on :)

I will follow up and try to fix the bugs. Unfortunately, I've gone travelling for a week so I might not be able to do much until a week later.

But I will follow up.

Thank you all!

Damn!! Well once you get back this app really has a lot of potential... just letting you know! :) don't give up man, this is gonna be awesome, I have a feeling!

cplking

Apr 17, 2013
Does not work on HTC first running sense 4+ rom. Will revert back to stock rom tonight n give it a go.

Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk 2

Peacen1k

Jan 16, 2013
Houston
FC on startup on i777 running JB 4.1.2

I can get to the conversation if I click on the incoming text notification; however trying to switch to the conversations list causes immediate FC.

JoeFCaputo113

Feb 2, 2013
New York
Any updates Dev?! Would loveeeee for this to be my daily driver messaging app, t is what I've been looking for, for a long time... an AOSP 9like messaging app, but I can use it on a TouchWiz ROM! Just wish MMS worked though :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: Download 8sms from Google Play or download from the website.

EDIT: 8sms now based on Android 4.4 KitKat / Cyanogenmod 10.2. See post #394.
    EDIT: App renamed from 88sms to 8sms. See post #246.

Hi,

This is my first android app and my first app announcement on XDA so apologies in advance if I've broken any rules.

I've ported the stock messaging app and then added some enhancements and changes so it can (hopefully) work on any Jelly Bean phone. This app is downstream from the latest Android 4.3 and CyanogenMod 10.2 (not-yet-released as of writing).

(ICS compatibility is a possible future feature.)

Please have a look if interested and feel free to try it out.

The Play Store link is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thinkleft.eightyeightsms.mms

Excerpts from the app description follows ...

Notable features

• Notification pop-ups
    • Quick reply
    • Gesture based templates
    • Emoji support
    • Optional dark theme
    Install this app if you want to use features from the latest Android messaging app without having to wait for a full phone software update.

Usage

Whilst 88sms is a replacement for the messaging app that came with your phone, it is actually an add-on application only.

Please do not disable or remove the messaging app that came with your phone as that is still required to receive sms and mms messages.

88sms works best if you turn off notifications for the messaging app that came with your phone. Then you won't get two sets of notifications.

Phone compatibility

This app may not work (yet) on the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. If you install this app on one of these devices, please let us know if it works.

If you install this app on your phone and it does not work, please let us know. Please be sure to specify your phone model and software version number, and the version of 88sms you have installed.

Permissions

This app requires a wide range of permissions because it is a port of a system app. System apps use a lot of permissions. Full network access is required in order to send (or download) mms using your phone's cellular data (mms) connection.

Thank you.
    8sms: To be continued for now

Hi all,

I've posted an update to the 8sms website:

8sms: To be continued for now
    http://8s.ms/to-be-continued-for-now

Relevant excerpts:

I still think 8sms is a worthwhile project, but unfortunately, the economics are such that there would be financial loss and opportunity cost if the present path were to continue. However, I am loathe to abandon the users — especially those who have already donated — so I will try to keep 8sms going for as long as I can.
    I will be reducing the amount of time and resources spent on developing 8sms and diverting them to other projects.

HOWEVER,

8sms will continue to be maintained, but development and new features will be at a slower rate (as time and resources permits).

Specifically, 8sms will be updated for Android Lollipop and Material design*.

(*Although it will probably be incremental changes only. A total re-design to be 100% compliant with Material is likely to be too much work.)

I believe this is a suitable compromise. 8sms continues to be maintained and still leaves the door open for future possibilities. For example, if 8sms suddenly grows a lot of new users, it can still be revived into a "foreground" project.

For the foreseeable future ... 8sms continues to live.

Thank you all for your continued support.
    Your response to privacy and keeping your app closed sourced in earlier post combined with your response above doesn't make sense. I think something shady is going on. So thank you for confirming this.. I downloaded Textra as I'm typing this .. and I suggest others do as well. Why? Because when I emailed Textra about their privacy policy they gave me a straight forward answer, not this wishy-washy. I'm obviously not the only person worried by this app if privacy concerns have already been brought up by others.

The other post I'm referring to is on page 46 by user pcgaldo (I cant post links yet).

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

I don't mind giving that data as well. But the dev isn't being clear. The privacy policy on HIS website states he collects data.. but his response to me when I questioned him is that he doesn't collect data. He is to wishy-washy. I believe that if your a DEV you have to be straight forward with the people who are "trusting" you with their information, especially in today's world. Defend him all you want, but in reality non-of-us know what hes doing because this app is closed sourced. Funny because he said he sourced this app from cyanogenmod 10.2 and that it is 98% not his app, and is theirs.

Hi,

It's quite common in legal-ish statements to say "may" without actually doing something. I was just following this pattern.

I said "We may perform automated collection ..." because I was thinking of adding analytics some time in the future. Then, if I did add analytics, it would be covered by this statement and I wouldn't have to change it.

*BUT*

Since some people are concerned, I've just changed the privacy statement to:

8sms does not collect any data about you, your contacts, your messages, or how you use 8sms.

(See http://8s.ms/privacy)

This means I can't add analytics in the future either (or else I'd have to adjust the privacy policy).

To re-emphasise, 8sms has never collected any data from you (or your phone), and still does not collect any data from you (or your phone).

Are you satisfied with this answer?

If not, please let me know why not and I'd be happy to address your remaining concerns.
    An update on the status of 8sms.

Hi all,

I feel a status update is warranted since it's been a week since the "big change" to 8sms regarding monetisation.

So far, the numbers look promising, though I feel it's still a bit too early to call. I've had a big spike in donations in the first few days. This has petered off a bit. On current trends, I think it's very likely I will continue to work on, and improve, 8sms (and I admit it can be improved a lot).

So ... there is room for optimism ... we'll just see how things go in a week's, and a month's, time.

I've taken on board the feedback regarding the ad placement, and moved the ads from the messaging screen to the main screen where, hopefully, they will be much less intrusive.

(For those who are interested, I talked to a Google Admob representative, and they confirmed that placing ads in 8sms at the top of the screen would be against their policy. The reason for this is ... that 8sms uses an action bar with a drop down menu. Ads at the top of the screen (but below the action bar) would be too near the drop down menu and considered too likely to cause accidental clicks.)

I will post further updates as time progresses.

Thank you for reading, and your continued support.
    Deep freeze

@DurhamHusker and the other great users who continue to use 8sms:

I'm really sorry about 8sms going completely quiet. Really really sorry.

I still intend to continue development if I have time ... and the intention has not changed.

The problem is that I don't have time anymore.

I've got a "normal", more conventional job now and that is keeping me very busy. Furthermore, there is an equity component so I'm incentivised to keep fully focussed on it.

This is why I haven't touched 8sms in about 3-4 months. If this pattern continues, it will be several more months before I even get close to re-activating 8sms development, if I do at all.

Hence, whilst 8sms is technically still supported, in practice, it's in deep freeze. One day, maybe, I'll revive it. Maybe.

If not, I'll say my goodbyes before shutting it down (and maybe releasing as open source).

Thank you.