[BOOTLOADER] 2nd-bootloader for Custom ROMs on KFireHD 7" [06/24 CM12.1/TWRP 2.8.7.0]

Search This thread

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
Well i was trying this on my brothers new laptop and my hd7 boots into fastboot no problem but the adb command hung at waiting for device. After a little googling i found out fastboot and usb 3.0 hate eachother :( luckily my computer has 2.0 ports :D will try it again when i get home and post the results.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

i think your problem was, you can't issue adb commands while in fastboot. just like you can't issue fastboot commands while booted into the OS. adb requires a working OS, fastboot requires fastboot. the fact you got "waiting for device" shows it took the adb command, but can't execute while in fastboot mode.

Hollaback12786

Aug 31, 2011
Re: [BOOTLOADER] Install 2nd-bootloader for Custom ROMs on KFireHD 7"

i think your problem was, you can't issue adb commands while in fastboot. just like you can't issue fastboot commands while booted into the OS. adb requires a working OS, fastboot requires fastboot. the fact you got "waiting for device" shows it took the adb command, but can't execute while in fastboot mode.

I entered the command into the prompt and said waiting for device, plugged the skorpn cable in and it booted right into fastboot but stuck at waiting for device

Hinzman420

Oct 28, 2010

I entered the command into the prompt and said waiting for device, plugged the skorpn cable in and it booted right into fastboot but stuck at waiting for device

Try this worked for me. Once in fastboot remove fastboot cable then plug in cable that came with kindle. Then run command you need to run.

Sent From My Rooted Kindle Hd 7"

Edit: If that dont work remove all sdk and files you have put in the sdk platform-tools folder and java you have installed and follow this. Sorry if the sounds like its for a noob but it works.

First things first lets get your sdk and drivers setup correctly.
1. Download the sdk package from here http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#download
2. Open the file you downloaded and take the sdk folder and the sdk manager file and copy it to you hard drive. C:/sdk C Being the hard drive letter.
3. Now you need to open up sdk manager and go to tools menu and select manager addon sites. Now select user defined sites tab and select new and enter this site http://kindle-sdk.s3.amazonaws.com/addon.xml and click ok.
4. You need to click the following boxes to install the packages you need. TOOLS, ANDROID 4.0.3 (api 15), and EXTRAS. Then click install packages to install them.
5. Now you need to install JDK from here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html
6. Now you need to install your basic java from here http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
7. Now you need to install kindle fire hd adb drivers from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1890413
8. Now shut down your kindle and connect your kindle to your pc and let it boot all the way and unlock the lock screen.

You should now be able to use your fastboot cable by shutting down and plugging it in.

Last edited:

Hollaback12786

Aug 31, 2011

Try this worked for me. Once in fastboot remove fastboot cable then plug in cable that came with kindle. Then run command you need to run.

Edit: If that dont work remove all sdk and files you have put in the sdk platform-tools folder and java you have installed and follow this. Sorry if the sounds like its for a noob but it works.

First things first lets get your sdk and drivers setup correctly.
1. Download the sdk package from here http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#download
2. Open the file you downloaded and take the sdk folder and the sdk manager file and copy it to you hard drive. C:/sdk C Being the hard drive letter.
3. Now you need to open up sdk manager and go to tools menu and select manager addon sites. Now select user defined sites tab and select new and enter this site http://kindle-sdk.s3.amazonaws.com/addon.xml and click ok.
4. You need to click the following boxes to install the packages you need. TOOLS, ANDROID 4.0.3 (api 15), and EXTRAS. Then click install packages to install them.
5. Now you need to install JDK from here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html
6. Now you need to install your basic java from here http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
7. Now you need to install kindle fire hd adb drivers from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1890413
8. Now shut down your kindle and connect your kindle to your pc and let it boot all the way and unlock the lock screen.

You should now be able to use your fastboot cable by shutting down and plugging it in.

Thanks man but i actually just installed the bootloader/recovery. Booted up my pc, only have adb drivers and no sdk and everything worked great. Booted into recovery and hit reboot to system and it works :) everywhere i go says fastboot and usb3.0 dont like eachother so im gonna say that was my problem

persano

Nov 25, 2012
Buenos Aires
Thanks man but i actually just installed the bootloader/recovery. Booted up my pc, only have adb drivers and no sdk and everything worked great. Booted into recovery and hit reboot to system and it works :) everywhere i go says fastboot and usb3.0 dont like eachother so im gonna say that was my problem

or monitor usb XD

Hinzman420

Oct 28, 2010

Hey no problem. Just know getting adb and sdk helps alot. Glad you fixed your problem.

Reactions: Hollaback12786

Hollaback12786

Aug 31, 2011

Hey no problem. Just know getting adb and sdk helps alot. Glad you fixed your problem.

Whenever I get around to installing ubuntu or linux on my 2nd hard drive I plan on downloading the sdk, gonna start to try and learn a thing or 2 in the world of android development :D

Edit: hey hashcode, i just noticed twrp recovery was updated to 2.4, can i just flash it thru fastboot? Or does it need to be modified for the HD7?

Last edited:

persano

Nov 25, 2012
Buenos Aires
can you make a custom recovery only, i dont like to install a lot of things, i m very simple, only want to flash acid audio engine and make a new stock img, very modified without any amazon thing,

the cwm recovery works fine? or not?

Last edited:

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
can you make a custom recovery only, i dont like to install a lot of things, i m very simple, only want to flash acid audio engine and make a new stock img, very modified without any amazon thing,

the cwm recovery works fine? or not?

how do you plan on getting into recovery without the bootloader?

if all you want is recovery, it's in the OP. but without the bootloader the recovery may be of no use.

jailuis

Oct 3, 2012
jlrcdevteam.blogspot.com

I did itt without one. I downloader a rebooter which had an option for bootloader. Once I was in fastboot, I tested that it worked fine and once I was done, I just needed to enter in it for step #4. It was fairly easy, though is not recommended.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011

persano: the 2nd bootloader is an absolute requirement for getting custom recovery on the device. There isnt an option of "recovery only" -- All of the files MUST be installed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Hollaback12786

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011

Whenever I get around to installing ubuntu or linux on my 2nd hard drive I plan on downloading the sdk, gonna start to try and learn a thing or 2 in the world of android development :D

Edit: hey hashcode, i just noticed twrp recovery was updated to 2.4, can i just flash it thru fastboot? Or does it need to be modified for the HD7?

The custom recovery and kernels we use on the new Kindle Fires require special modifications or they will break on Amazons signature check.

I can build a new recovery with the 2.4 update over the next few days. It will probably come in 2 forms:
- an updated image file for use during the 2nd bootloader installation
- a flash .zip update for those who are already running custom recovery.

jailuis

Oct 3, 2012
jlrcdevteam.blogspot.com

The Zip please xD For those of us who dont have a Factory CBle yet were lucky enough to not brick their device :D
XD Just kidding, whats easier for you is best ^^ Thanks for all your hard work.

jailuis

Oct 3, 2012
jlrcdevteam.blogspot.com

Soo... How's everything going for us KFHD 7" users? Are we getting closer to a Rom or still waiting for a couple of months?

craby1925

Nov 17, 2010

Soo... How's everything going for us KFHD 7" users? Are we getting closer to a Rom or still waiting for a couple of months?

Don't ask for progress updates, what's being done or ETA's unless you want to royally annoy a dev.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Jester6

xiro49

Jan 8, 2013

Aww i want so bad but i dont have a pc love your work hashcode

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

techdeisel

Oct 31, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Max 3
LG Velvet

Hey oh hash My man just one quick question where do the downloaded img files for flashing go
Sent from my MB886 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [BOOTLOADER] 2nd-bootloader for Custom ROMs on KFireHD 7" [06/24 CM12.1/TWRP 2.8.7.0]

Introducing: Kindle Fire 2nd-bootloader + TWRP 2.8.x.x for the Kindle Fire HD 7

*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHILE I TRY MY BEST TO PROVIDE WORKING KERNELS/ROMS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANYTHING I'VE WORKED ON SUDDENLY FRIES YOUR DEVICE. ***

** THESE FILES WILL ONLY WORK ON A KINDLE FIRE HD 7 **

** WHEN MODDING THE KFIRE HD YOU SHOULD HAVE WORKING FASTBOOT DRIVERS/ACCESS ON YOUR PC. **

LOOKS LIKE NOT ALL FASTBOOT CABLES WILL AUTOMATICALLY PLACE YOU IN FASTBOOT MODE ON THE KINDLE FIRE HD 7. DOWNLOAD THE ANDROID SDK AND GO FROM THERE.
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Here's 1 website you can purchase a FASTBOOT adapter from (works with your normal USB cable)
    http://shop.teamblackhat.info/Factory-Adapters-motadapt.htm
    ** I don't make any commission or fee from the sales of these devices, I just know they have them on stock most of the time and ship in a reasonable time frame unlike the Chinese variants found on ebay.

Q: How do I know if my fastboot works?
    A: With the Kindle powered down, type the following command into a cmd/terminal window on your PC (should return with: < waiting for device> ):
    fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product

Then connect your fastboot cable to the Kindle and reboot. It *SHOULD* show a Fastboot screen and your terminal window should show something like:
    product: Tate-XXX-XX (something here)

Type this to reboot out of fastboot mode:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

** IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, RE-READ THROUGH THE THREAD FOR ANSWERS. WHEN YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY SURE NO ONE HAS ASKED YOUR QUESTION, GO AHEAD AND RE-READ THE THREAD AGAIN AND USE THE SEARCH FEATURE. THEN POST YOUR QUESTION IF YOU STILL CAN'T FIND THE ANSWER **

INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLING A 2ND-BOOTLOADER TO LOAD CUSTOM KERNELS / ROMS / RECOVERY:
    *** BE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD CHARGE ON THE DEVICE ***

STEP 1. Backup your stock partitions to your own HD for later if you need disaster recovery:
    Code:
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0boot0 of=/sdcard/boot0block.img"
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/stock-boot.img"
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery of=/sdcard/stock-recovery.img"
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system of=/sdcard/stock-system.img" # This will take a few minutes
    adb pull /sdcard/boot0block.img
    adb pull /sdcard/stock-boot.img
    adb pull /sdcard/stock-recovery.img
    adb pull /sdcard/stock-system.img # This will take a few minutes
    Take those files and put them somewhere safe.

**** MAC USERS MAY NEED TO SPARSE THE FILES FOR RE-FLASHING TO THE DEVICE. I NEED A MAC USER TO PROBABLY WORK THROUGH THAT PROCESS AND POST BACKUP COPIES OF THE STOCK PARTITIONS FOR DISASTER RECOVERY ****

STEP 2: Download the files you will need to install 2nd-bootloader, TWRP and CM:

ON THE FOLLOWING DEV-HOST LINKS
    USE THE BLUE "DOWNLOAD NOW" BUTTON
    -- DO NOT INSTALL AN EXECUTABLE DOWNLOADER TO YOUR SYSTEM! --
    I'LL LOOK FOR A BETTER HOST WHEN I GET MORE TIME.

1. Stack override file:
      Mirror 1: Download "stack" from Dev-Host
    2. [12/09] kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.4.6.img (USED ONLY THE FIRST TIME -- .zip files will have their own boot.img's from now on):
      Mirror 1: Download "kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.4.6.img" from Dev-Host
      md5sum: 1628fc4750d0d49cbce41ab616a9d732
    3. [06/24] TWRP 2.8.7.0 recovery flash Image:
      Mirror 1: Download TWRP from Dev-Host
    4. CM-12.1 for the Kindle Fire HD 7 (choose the latest version from):
      Mirror 1: Downloads CM
    5. Google Apps from Android File Host:
      https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=25361 (Use 5.1 version!)
    6. Download the older 7.2.3 bootloader file and flash to your device via fastboot:
      Mirror 1: Download bootloader from Dev-Host
      md5sum bb029673d8f186db4dff6d38f4aa28cf
      (You SHOULD check the md5sum before using fastboot -- downloads CAN be corrupted)
    Place the CM-12.1 ROM and the gapps .zip on your device in the /sdcard area

STEP 3. Install the stack override in /system:
    ADB commands entered while booted up into STOCK *rooted* Amazon Kindle OS -- May need to enable ADB debugging in Settings:
    [2013-08-21] edited the location where stack is placed on device due to permissions changes
    Code:
    adb push stack /sdcard/
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/sdcard/stack of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system bs=6519488 seek=1"

STEP 4. Stop the auto recovery update script (this file may or may not be present):
    Code:
    adb shell su -c "mount -o remount,rw ext4 /system"
    adb shell su -c "mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak"
    adb shell su -c "mount -o remount,ro ext4 /system"

STEP 5:
    [ With the device powered off: connect your FASTBOOT USB cable to the Kindle which should cause it to power on and enter "FASTBOOT" mode. Issue the following commands into your command/terminal window on your PC 1 at a time. ]

Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader kfhd7-u-boot-prod-7.2.3.bin
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.4.6.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery kfhd7-twrp-2.8.7.0-recovery.img

*DONT RE-FLASH FREEDOM-BOOT.IMG LATER AFTER FLASHING CUSTOM ROMS -- IT'S FOR STOCK AMAZON OS ONLY / FIRST INSTALL ONLY*

** If everything was done correctly your Kindle will reboot and you will at first see the normal Kindle Fire ORANGE logo and then it will fade and come back as a BLUE logo. **

TO ENTER RECOVERY:
    Press the left volume button (volume up) while the logo is still YELLOW and keep pressing until the logo turns BLUE. Wait a moment and you should enter recovery.

STEP 6:
    CM-12.1 AND GAPPS INSTALLATION:
    • (OPTIONAL) Make a backup by selecting "Backup" and then slide your finger to the right on the "Swipe to Back Up"
    • Once complete use the pentagon "Home" icon in the lower left corner of the screen
    • Now, select "Wipe"
    • Swipe the "Swipe to Factory Reset"
    • Use the "Home" icon
    • Select "Install"
    • Browse to the location on your device where you saved the CM-12.1 / GAPPS .ZIP files
    • Select the CM12.1 ZIP file in the list by touching it, then confirm it says the name of the CM-12.1 .ZIP file on the next screen under "File to flash:"
    • Select "Add More Zips"
    • Select the GAPPS ZIP file in the list by touching it -- make sure it says the name of the .ZIP again under "File to flash:"
    • Swipe the "Swipe to Confirm Flash", and wait for it to finish.
    • If the screen is blank at any time you can hit the power button to "wake up" the device
    • Once the flash is done, you'll see a "Home" and "Reboot" buttons at the bottom of the screen
    • Select "Reboot"

CONGRATULATIONS YOU NOW HAVE THE ABILITY TO INSTALL CUSTOM KERNELS / RECOVERY AND ROMS.

FLASHING BACK TO STOCK:
    ** FIND THE FILES WE BACKED UP IN STEP #1: ** OR Follow this thread's instructions:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1951254

**** MAC USERS MAY NEED TO SPARSE THE FILES FOR RE-FLASHING TO THE DEVICE. I NEED A MAC USER TO PROBABLY WORK THROUGH THAT PROCESS AND POST BACKUP COPIES OF THE STOCK PARTITIONS FOR DISASTER RECOVERY ****

Plug in your fastboot cable and reboot so that you see the fastboot screen. On your computer go into a prompt and change to the directory where your stock backups are and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot [B]stock-boot.img[/B]
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery [B]stock-recovery.img[/B]
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash system [B]stock-system.img[/B] # This one will take a few minutes

THANKS TO:
    • fattire for finding the original bootloader exploit
    • verygreen for doing some initial work on the 2nd-bootloader and fixing bugs (and letting me copy some of his bootloader installation instructions)
    Changelog: updated 2013-07-08

freedom boot.img (for use w/ stock Amazon OS + 2nd-bootloader):
    • [07/08] Updated w/ kernel from 7.4.3 release

Amazon OS .zip:
    • [07/08] Rebuilt on version 7.4.3 from Amazon

TeamWin Recovery (TWRP) 2.6.0.0

• [*][07/08] USB Vendor ID / Product ID in recovery now matches stock Amazon OS
    • [07/08] Fixed long pause before recovery entry
    • [07/08] Based on 7.4.3 stock kernel
    • [07/08] Fixed recovery bootloop issue
    • [07/08] Screen timeout feature currently disabled due to screen blanking bug
    • [07/08] TWRP 2.6.0.0 update
    • [07/08] Added "EFS" partition backup option. Normally, don't need to make too many backups of this, but having a backup will enable you to recover HDMI keys, and some other data.
    I added a STEP 6 which is optional but recommended:

Because we had to drop a 4K file right in the middle of the operating system, there is a chance that we've killed a binary that is used by the OS. As a final "cleanup" step to installing the bootloader, I recommend everyone re-flash the OS to /system. The stack space is pre-allocated during this process so that the files going back onto the /system partition will NOT land on it anymore.

Download a flashable Amazon OS ROM (7.2.3): Amazon OS 7.2.3: http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/tate/kfhd7-amazon-os-7.2.3.zip Place this in the /sdcard

This is the stock Amazon OS which is rooted, has Superuser.apk and busybox. (Users can use this as an easy means of going back to stock the easy way via recovery. It also includes the modified boot.img including the 2nd-bootloader).

INSTALL THE .ZIP IN TWRP:
    • Select "Install"
    • Use the file manager to browse and click on the "kfhd7-amazon-os-7.2.3.zip" file.
    • Swipe to start.
    • Once that's done, reboot.

NOTE: Once we start using Jellybean ROMS, the location of "sdcard" can move and to find this file you may need to go "Up a level" to find "data" and then "media" and look for it in there.

Can I use install this and still use stock os?

Sent from my KFTT using XDA Premium HD app

Yes, that's how the initial install is setup.

The custom recovery and kernels we use on the new Kindle Fires require special modifications or they will break on Amazons signature check.

I can build a new recovery with the 2.4 update over the next few days. It will probably come in 2 forms:
    - an updated image file for use during the 2nd bootloader installation
    - a flash .zip update for those who are already running custom recovery.