[DEV] Rooting Blackberry Playbook

Search This thread

skoperst

Aug 11, 2010
I've been diggin into the Playbook for a few days now, trying to figure out who against who here. the goal of course is gaining root.

The things we know so far, is that the device is dual-core 1Ghz cortex-A9, armv7 architecture using OMAP4 platform. On top of it runs a QNX linux that uses Adobe air sdk for application.

Its possible to set the device into Development Mode in the security settings, and use the 'blackberry-connect' utility that comes with the Blackberry TabletOS SDK .
First thing you need to be connected with the pc and playbook on the same wifi.
You will need a private key, and a public key created with the ssh-gen utility or you can use the keys I attach in keys.zip.

Use the utility to connect the device on port 4455:
Code:
blackberrysdk\blackberry-connect -targetHost <ip> -devicePassword <pass> -sshPublicKey <yourkey4096.pub>

Then the device will start the ssh server on the ssh port.
In order to connect it, I used 2 utilities: Peagent, and Putty.

By starting Peagent, load the private key (or .pkk in the zip). and use putty to connect the device.
The username is : devuser

There is also a way to execute native code on the device as first discovered by @b3ll.

The idea is to compile the code in the QNX ide for armv7, making them runnable by : chmod +x nativeapp
and zipping them.
Then connect the device using the Blackberry desktop, copy the zip to "Downloads" directory and use the ssh to unzip the files and run them(in /tmp directory).
The Download directory will be located somewhere under the /accounts directory. I added the native app that @b3ll originally published.

Also, the device has 3 connections in the bottom, the most right is the magnetic charger- which cannot transfer data.
The middle one is micro-USB, and the left one is mini-hdmi.
Leaving the micro-USB the only connection that can transfer data.

Key combinations

POWER - turning on the device

Turning on using POWER + Volume-UP - gives unknown special mode for few seconds.

Thats all i figured out so far

Attachments

• keys.zip
    3 KB · Views: 708
  • nativeapp.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:

skoperst

Aug 11, 2010
Will look into it now, I also found a twit from @cmwdotme that posted this.
The updates download process is not secured, getting it in though its all different story

Reactions: -]Megacharge[-

mercado79

Oct 4, 2008
Boston, MA
with the recent drop in price to $199 for the 16gb model... any action going on in this regard? I'd be all over this if there was even a glimmer of hope. Devs! Where you at?!

C

challa3223

PlayBook. It’s based on an exploit discovered by @xpvqs, Wade calls the root method “dingleberry,” and he plans to release tools soon that will let anyone root the tablet. rooted maybe get a android port now

chaose

Nov 11, 2010
New York
not sure about the android port, seeing as we're missing drivers. Supposedly the Kindle Fire has almost identical innards so perhaps we can take the Amazon drivers and use them on the playbook.
there's always the chance that rim will patch the blackberry and close the exploit, which is software based from what I understand. and RIM, being the security conscious company that it is, will probably try....although given the state of the Playbook deep discounts right now I'm not sure they care too much.

spoonefl1

Nov 29, 2011
Tampa
This might drive some development in the very near future. I kind of hope so, as I missed out on the Touchpad. Maybe I can snag one of these.

hxxp://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3629356

(New User here - can't post links, but wanted to show my source for the following info)

Blackberry Playbook FIRESALE like HP touchpad likely coming soon. hold off on buying playbooks
just a heads up,

blackberry has already started selling us employees the playbook for $99 for the 16gb. There are whispers and rumors that they might have a firesale a la touchpad. I will update this as I get more info.

There was a limit of 2 playbooks per employee. I bought 2 of each the 16gb for $99 and 2 32 gb for $149 each.

Update 1: I honestly would not pay much attention to the gizmodo and other articles. Their "sources" are probably people like myself and the rest is just pure speculation. The best buy cancellation orders may or may not correlate with the demand but trust me the playbooks are not doing very well. We are in pretty rough shape here...

-]Megacharge[-

Nov 16, 2010
Montreal
This might drive some development in the very near future. I kind of hope so, as I missed out on the Touchpad. Maybe I can snag one of these.

hxxp://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3629356

(New User here - can't post links, but wanted to show my source for the following info)

That's false information, it's not a fire sale, and that sale is only for RIM employees, and it will be ending shortly. Don't worry guys RIM isn't selling off the Playbook. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 04:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

Here is the video showing root on the Playbook!

Awesome news!

http://youtu.be/JX4VjwZ6Bsw

bsdnix

Mar 17, 2011
excellent stuff, now you might have a hope that someone will start working on android port for BB as well. watching dual boot android and QNX sounds like fun. plus there would be a big challenge for all of you developers, right?

Unarmed

Sep 18, 2010
so now that the qnx side of the playbook is rooted, we have root access to the android player, but not when its running. Can anyone point me in the direction of information on what i'd have to modify to get root in the android player?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been diggin into the Playbook for a few days now, trying to figure out who against who here. the goal of course is gaining root.

The things we know so far, is that the device is dual-core 1Ghz cortex-A9, armv7 architecture using OMAP4 platform. On top of it runs a QNX linux that uses Adobe air sdk for application.

Its possible to set the device into Development Mode in the security settings, and use the 'blackberry-connect' utility that comes with the Blackberry TabletOS SDK .
    First thing you need to be connected with the pc and playbook on the same wifi.
    You will need a private key, and a public key created with the ssh-gen utility or you can use the keys I attach in keys.zip.

Use the utility to connect the device on port 4455:
    Code:
    blackberrysdk\blackberry-connect -targetHost <ip> -devicePassword <pass> -sshPublicKey <yourkey4096.pub>

Then the device will start the ssh server on the ssh port.
    In order to connect it, I used 2 utilities: Peagent, and Putty.

By starting Peagent, load the private key (or .pkk in the zip). and use putty to connect the device.
    The username is : devuser

There is also a way to execute native code on the device as first discovered by @b3ll.

The idea is to compile the code in the QNX ide for armv7, making them runnable by : chmod +x nativeapp
    and zipping them.
    Then connect the device using the Blackberry desktop, copy the zip to "Downloads" directory and use the ssh to unzip the files and run them(in /tmp directory).
    The Download directory will be located somewhere under the /accounts directory. I added the native app that @b3ll originally published.

Also, the device has 3 connections in the bottom, the most right is the magnetic charger- which cannot transfer data.
    The middle one is micro-USB, and the left one is mini-hdmi.
    Leaving the micro-USB the only connection that can transfer data.

Key combinations

POWER - turning on the device

Turning on using POWER + Volume-UP - gives unknown special mode for few seconds.

Thats all i figured out so far
    Okay guys..thread cleaned.

Please play nice.. there is no reason to go after each other ;)

Consider it a final warning!

Whiskey
    Forum Moderator
    No bias, just poor demand.

Vote here for playbook forum,
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1416406