[Q] Carrier Video Calling App or a Mod

Search This thread

Prabash

Jan 29, 2012
Colombo
Hi, Can someone please tell me whether there is any app or a mod that can be used to make video calls to a phone number? Not like using Skype or GoogleTalk with wifi or data connection, but to a phone number on my contact list using the carrier? (As available for instance in Galaxy SII etc.)

Prabash

Jan 29, 2012
Colombo
Thank you for your replies..I checked them out already but all those apps require data connection to be enabled and the other person to have the similar app in order to make video calls..Not the option I have been looking for..:)

yahhboy

Jan 24, 2012
Thank you for your replies..I checked them out already but all those apps require data connection to be enabled and the other person to have the similar app in order to make video calls..Not the option I have been looking for..:)

I don't think any exist that video call over the carriers voice connection itself, is that what you mean? are you trying to make a video to video chat over a carrier's voice service?

Sent from my sensational sensation 4g

Prabash

Jan 29, 2012
Colombo
I don't think any exist that video call over the carriers voice connection itself, is that what you mean? are you trying to make a video to video chat over a carrier's voice service?

Yep..As for instance available in Nokia Symbian devices and even in Samsung Android Devices with front facing cameras..As far as I am aware Samsung is the only brand that integrates that option to their Android devices..Others just don't :confused:..
And yes you are correct..I don't think there's any such app either, that's why I thought there might be a Mod available, which will enable such a function..

Prabash

Jan 29, 2012
Colombo
I thnk evn wit the samsung devices still use data ion think there is any way to do video over a voice connection

Sent from my Sensation 4G using XDA

Nope..They don't use data connection to make video calls over the carrier. The only requirement is to have 3G signals and you can make video calls to any other phone just like taking a voice call..

Prabash

Jan 29, 2012
Colombo
Thn in u do need a data connection cause other wise with out 3g u couldn't mke the call?

I am talking about the 3g signals my good sir, not the data connection. Please be astute enough to learn the difference prior to commenting. Data connection refers to when you're connected to the internet, hence you can have a data connection with 2g signals, as well as 3g or 4g signals. But I was denoting to carrier video calling, sir, which only requires 3G SIGNALS, but the data connection. When using data connection you expend DATA as in MBs or KBs. Quite the contrary, when video calling through 3G SIGNALS, sir, you spend CREDITS of your phone, resembling when you're making a voice call.

Last edited:

yahhboy

Jan 24, 2012
I am talking about the 3g signals my good sir, not the data connection. Please be astute enough to learn the difference prior to commenting. Data connection refers to when you're connected to the internet, hence you can have a data connection with 2g signals, as well as 3g or 4g signals. But I was denoting to carrier video calling, sir, which only requires 3G SIGNALS, but the data connection. When using data connection you expend DATA as in MBs or KBs. Quite the contrary, when video calling through 3G SIGNALS, sir, you spend CREDITS of your phone, resembling when you're making a voice call.

How do you know you are not using data during the call?

Sent from my sensational sensation 4g

melo563

Apr 12, 2011
davenport
I don't see how it is possible to me a 3g connection or signals and not be using data if you do not have a data connection you would not get 3g symbol so how do you figure you're not using a data connection symbol of the bars refers to your connection weather it is dada or your phone signal strength for calls so what do you mean your exclamation did not explain anything how can somebody help you with and explanation that didn't explain anything

Prabash

Jan 29, 2012
Colombo
I don't see how it is possible to me a 3g connection or signals and not be using data if you do not have a data connection you would not get 3g symbol so how do you figure you're not using a data connection symbol of the bars refers to your connection weather it is dada or your phone signal strength for calls so what do you mean your exclamation did not explain anything how can somebody help you with and explanation that didn't explain anything

Well, I guess this video would explain things :):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiVWtOd-vDw

It shows the type of video calling I was referring to. Notice on the video that there's no any data connection (as in an internet connection through you APN or WiFi). He just had 3g signals and he made the video call using the phone dialler just like making a voice call, not via any 3rd party application.
And I didn't say it doesn't use any data, it certainly should. But, you cannot compare it with when you are using Skype or other apps for video calling. For instance, if you are having a 1GB data plan on your mobile, when you use skype to make video calls, you would spend from that 1GB. But when you are video calling from your carrier, you won't spend data from that 1GB, but your phone credits (Like when you are making a voice call).
The advantage of this is that you can make video calls to most other 3g devices that doesn't support 3rd party applications like Skype. This feature is there in most 3g phones, like on the video it was a N82. I don't think N82 supports Skype or any other 3rd party video calling app, so there's no way that you can make a video call to a N82 using your Sensation, right? But if this feature is there, you will be able to do that. Hope you will get what I am trying to say.

Last edited: