[Q] Cant reroot my nexus 5 (bootloader already unlocked)

Search This thread

Some Freakin Guy

Jun 11, 2014
Hey guys,
A few months ago I successfully rooted my Nexus 5 using the first youtube video you see after youtubing "root nexus 5" (sorry, new members cant post links).
unfortunately i had to remove root access for a short period of time. now that i try to reroot the phone using the above method (as well as a few others) It doesnt work.

when I put the phone in fastboot mode it says SECURITY BOOT: enabled and LOCK STATE: unlocked. Im assuming that means the bootloader remains unlocked. when i run the program and my nexus 5 flashes all the magic voodoo rooting screens, the phone boots back up but i still dont have root access.

what in the world can i do here?

Some Freakin Guy

Jun 11, 2014
You shouldn't be using programs. Just follow the guide we have here, linked in my signature

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

appreciate the thought but that doesnt really help where im at right now. im probably using the term "programs" incorrectly. i just installed hammerhead and ran it using this n that. Ive taken a look at several guides as well giving me the same operations (download this hammerhead thing. run the thing which then roots the phone with its usb debugging on). I would think that the majority of guides on youtube are derived directly from the guide found on xda anyway (especially the one i used, considering it was a relatively light and easy process).

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
No most guides use Toolkits. Our guide is proper. We cannot vouch for others.

Our guide involves flashing a recovery and then flashing root from recovery. Do that and let us know where you get stuck, otherwise we can't help

TheLastSidekick

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
Rootsu is correct. If you want things done properly you're best using no shortcuts like Toolkits. Different OSes and drivers and cables may change how the toolkit works.