[Q] Unable to Flash Custom Recovery, ADB not detecting device, etc.

Search This thread

WunderWuffle

Jun 27, 2014
First problem: when I do "adb devices" in command prompt, there are no devices listed. I am pretty sure I have installed all the proper drivers.

Second problem: I don't know if my boot loader is unlocked. The reason I think this is because when I used the manudroid19 toolkit to unlock the boot loader, it restores my system, but when I try to flash a custom ROM, nothing happens. People I've talked to say that its supposed to stay in fast boot mode for about a minute before it actually boots into TWRP, but nothing actually happens.

Third problem: when I press the root button in manudroid19, nothing happens. The cmd prompt just pops up for a split second then nothing. Plain out nothing happens. Root Checker says my phone is not rooted.

How would I resolve all of this?

Last edited:

paztine

Apr 15, 2012
City of Freeway
Google Pixel 8 Pro
cm recovery

First problem: when I do "adb devices" in command prompt, there are no devices listed. I am pretty sure I have installed all the proper drivers.

Second problem: I don't know if my boot loader is unlocked. The reason I think this is because when I used the manudroid19 toolkit to unlock the boot loader, it restores my system, but when I try to flash a custom ROM, nothing happens. People I've talked to say that its supposed to stay in fast boot mode for about a minute before it actually boots into TWRP, but nothing actually happens.

Third problem: when I press the root button in manudroid19, nothing happens. The cmd prompt just pops up for a split second then nothing. Plain out nothing happens. Root Checker says my phone is not rooted.

uncheck update cm recovery under settings..developer option..

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro

My first piece of advice: stop using a toolkit, it's clearly creating more confusion than it's actually helping.

When you're issuing the 'adb devices' command are you booted into Android? What happens when you issue 'fastboot devices' when you're in fastboot mode?

Transmitted via Bacon

WunderWuffle

Jun 27, 2014
uncheck update cm recovery under settings..developer option..
Its always been unchecked.

My first piece of advice: stop using a toolkit, it's clearly creating more confusion than it's actually helping.

When you're issuing the 'adb devices' command are you booted into Android? What happens when you issue 'fastboot devices' when you're in fastboot mode?

Transmitted via Bacon
When I did adb devices, I was in Android iirc. I can't remember since the last time I did it was a day or two ago. Sorry. I am not very knowledgeable in this area. I have not done the fastboot device command.

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Its always been unchecked.

When I did adb devices, I was in Android iirc. I can't remember since the last time I did it was a day or two ago. Sorry. I am not very knowledgeable in this area. I have not done the fastboot device command.

Ok, adb commands will only work while you're booted into Android or booted into recovery. Similarly, fastboot commands will only work while in fastboot mode. Let us know how you go, and if you get your serial number turned from the 'fastboot devices' command, issue this one:

Code:
fastboot oem device-info

And post the results.

Transmitted via Bacon

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
I would start by reading up on fastboot, this phone is as easy to root as they come so as mentioned earlier a toolkit just ads to the hassle
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2277112
Here you will find information on how to get adb and fastboot working properly, my guess is its a driver issue right now. So check device manager and manually update to the appropriate drivers if needed
And here you will find the steps to manually root
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2788632
Best of luck!

WunderWuffle

Jun 27, 2014
Ok, adb commands will only work while you're booted into Android or booted into recovery. Similarly, fastboot commands will only work while in fastboot mode. Let us know how you go, and if you get your serial number turned from the 'fastboot devices' command, issue this one:

Code:
fastboot oem device-info

And post the results.

Transmitted via Bacon
I just did that. Here are my results. It says that my device has been tampered with, and my boot loader is unlocked. And now, for some odd reason (I guess I was in fastboot while I was doing adb commands), it not detects my One. Thank you!

I would start by reading up on fastboot, this phone is as easy to root as they come so as mentioned earlier a toolkit just ads to the hassle
Here you will find information on how to get adb and fastboot working properly, my guess is its a driver issue right now. So check device manager and manually update to the appropriate drivers if needed
Best of luck!
Since I am not on my computer anymore, I will check these out and I will get back to both of you in a bit. Thanks!

WunderWuffle

Jun 27, 2014

Code:
fastboot oem device-info

And post the results.

Transmitted via Bacon

Best of luck!
I rooted the phone manually using command prompt and everything worked! I got TWRP recovery, and Root Checker says I'm rooted! Thank you very much! Doing it this way took my less than 7 minutes while using the toolkit took me more than three hours, and that didn't even work!