Nook Tablet will not turn on

Search This thread

HighBomber

Feb 24, 2011
Hello,

I have a Nook Tablet, 16GB model, that I received during the 2011 holiday. This summer, about 4 months ago, it stopped turning on.

I have flashed it with CM7 Alpha from CelticWebSolutions, but that was at least a month before it stopped working. CM7 ran fine while it was working. There is no physical damage to the device. The Tablet does not even get warm when plugged in and the screen does not turn on. Windows does make a noise when the device is plugged in but nothing is recognized.

I am not sure what other information I can give. I would have posted this immediately to the forums if I was not so preoccupied this summer. All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
Not to be super obvious, but have you tried holding in the power for 20 seconds? Then plugging it into the wall charger and letting it sit all night?

Sent from my Slider SL101

Reactions: HighBomber

HighBomber

Feb 24, 2011
Thank you Solar.Plexus,

I had tried charging overnight, and holding down power for 20 seconds. However, your post had me think of trying the stock nook cable - the one with the extra pins. I charged overnight and sure enough, it worked!

Now, when I try a microusb cable to charge, it still works. Why would a microusb cable still not charge the device before, but does now? What could the extra pins have possibly done?

Anyway it is working now. I am sorry if this post has polluted the forum. Please remove if necessary.

spcagigas

Jan 20, 2010
Metro Detroit
Thank you Solar.Plexus,

I had tried charging overnight, and holding down power for 20 seconds. However, your post had me think of trying the stock nook cable - the one with the extra pins. I charged overnight and sure enough, it worked!

Now, when I try a microusb cable to charge, it still works. Why would a microusb cable still not charge the device before, but does now? What could the extra pins have possibly done?

Anyway it is working now. I am sorry if this post has polluted the forum. Please remove if necessary.
No sweat about polluting the forum -- this is the place for Q's and A's...

There's some really good information about the B&N cable located in this thread from the Accessories forum (look at post 17 in particular) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1386602 that can probably answer your questions better than I can.

wellersl

Feb 15, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Thank you Solar.Plexus,

FWIW - The B&N USB cable has the extra pins because it provides a higher charge rate (more current) that the USB "standard" allows. In theory, a standard USB connection should charge the Nook, but it will take much longer. I'm wondering if the Nook was so discharged that the charge circuit wasn't being triggered by your USB connection. Was it your PC or an external charger? It's also possible that your USB connection voltage is too low. A fairly common problem. My Droid X is really picky about charge voltage.

From feeble memory, B&N charger = 1 Amp or 1000mA. USB = 500mA max.

HighBomber

Feb 24, 2011
FWIW - The B&N USB cable has the extra pins because it provides a higher charge rate (more current) that the USB "standard" allows. In theory, a standard USB connection should charge the Nook, but it will take much longer. I'm wondering if the Nook was so discharged that the charge circuit wasn't being triggered by your USB connection. Was it your PC or an external charger? It's also possible that your USB connection voltage is too low. A fairly common problem. My Droid X is really picky about charge voltage.

Thanks, wellersl. This summer I had tried charging overnight with my regular microusb cable, which I believe came off of a wall charger. Before my Nook died, I had last charged it on the road using the same USB cable, but with a car to usb adapter. You have a good theory, though. I hope if anyone runs into the same problem, they will find these posts and try out the stock cable. I never like to use it because it is incompatible with other devices while using up a USB port.

I have been using my Nook most of the day. I updated CM7 and have done a factory reset - all on battery. After roughly 6 hours on battery it says I have 81% battery left. I am hoping the battery life has not been negatively effected by a full drain and four months of neglect.

Cubanluke88

Nov 18, 2011
Connecticut
It has the extended pins because B&N wants to make money and proprietary cables enable this. It has nothing to do with the amount of current that can be pushed.

For reference, my stock galaxy nexus charger pushes 5V at 1amp.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

wellersl

Feb 15, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Samsung Galaxy S8+
It has the extended pins because B&N wants to make money and proprietary cables enable this. It has nothing to do with the amount of current that can be pushed.

For reference, my stock galaxy nexus charger pushes 5V at 1amp.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Allow me to correct myself. The B&N charger is rated 5V @ 1900mA (Mine is, anyway.).

Anyway, I'll have to respectfully agree and disagree. Certainly B&N is in it to make a buck. But there's more to it than that. And I'll be among the first to point out the FUD that's been posted all over the web *because * of that proprietary cable.

Standards are wonderful. There are so many from which to choose.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not to be super obvious, but have you tried holding in the power for 20 seconds? Then plugging it into the wall charger and letting it sit all night?

Sent from my Slider SL101
    Thank you Solar.Plexus,

No sweat about polluting the forum -- this is the place for Q's and A's...

There's some really good information about the B&N cable located in this thread from the Accessories forum (look at post 17 in particular) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1386602 that can probably answer your questions better than I can.
    Thank you Solar.Plexus,