64gb sd support?

Search This thread

Eddiemc

Mar 15, 2010
Yes, it supports 64GB micro SD cards so long as they are FAT32 formatted.

Do you know this for a fact? Has anybody actually tested this on any of the prerelease versions of the phone?

This would make me even more tempted to pre order it be for release. If you have any links to any test of this, it would be great:)

Reactions: nightwing369

Ambroos

Aug 11, 2010
Dublin / Belgium
Do you know this for a fact? Has anybody actually tested this on any of the prerelease versions of the phone?

This would make me even more tempted to pre order it be for release. If you have any links to any test of this, it would be great:)

All Android phones support this. With FAT32 you're always fine. Only downside is that it's limited to 4GB files.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Here's a screenshot of an HTC phone which was only advertised to support up to 32GB microSD, no official ICS support and almost 2 years old now.

attachment.php

Now do you think Xperia Z won't support 64GB sd cards?

It's only 57gb because I partitioned it for sd-ext support.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-27-08-36-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-27-08-36-47.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 4,059

Eddiemc

Mar 15, 2010
Thanks guys for clearing this up. Any amount should be supported then, if it's in FAT32. Happy to hear this is working on the zl.

Here's another one: since 4gig+ files are not supported on fat32, how about running EXT4? Anyone tried that on Sony phones? Guess it needs to be supported on kernel level, but custom kernels might provide support for this. Anyone wants to share some views on EXT4?

sashank

Dec 31, 2010
Bangalore, KA, India
Maybe it'll have kernel support for NTFS and exFat. The Samsung Galaxy S3 and even the older S2 have it, so I'm hoping Sony includes it too. It's not really that big of a deal for manufacturers to add support for more formats, but some of them like HTC are very stubborn about it.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
ext4 support is by default supported on Sony phones since 2012 models already use ext4 as the default format on system partitions. So using ext4 for sdcard would be only tweaking the vold.fstab file to mount it properly.

deboopi2

Nov 12, 2011
MECHELEN
ZL supports 64GB cards (specs from Sony), Z does not, only up to 32GB (also Sony specs).
I think it's best to wait until it is released and there will definitely be some people trying this.
I live in Belgium and I'd like to order the ZL but as far as I know now the ZL will not be available in Belgium.
I wait until release and if no ZL i will order the Z, for the moment I have a 32Gb card, I'll start of using this one and maybe in the future I'll have a look for a bigger card.
If it is not supported I also woder how they do it and maybe this can be avoided by installing a curstom rom one they become available.
On all my previous phones I installed cards bigger in size than officialy supported and up to now I never had any problem.

REAVER117

Feb 3, 2010
London, ON
Maybe it'll have kernel support for NTFS and exFat. The Samsung Galaxy S3 and even the older S2 have it, so I'm hoping Sony includes it too. It's not really that big of a deal for manufacturers to add support for more formats, but some of them like HTC are very stubborn about it.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium

Unfortunately my ZL doesn't seem to support exFAT or NTFS. That could change before the release date, but as of right now no such luck.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
The french Sony Community manager has a 64gb Sandisk sdxc on his unit. It works...
Dunno how he formatted it but it works

http://www.planete-smartphones.fr/forum/index.php?showtopic=3062&view=findpost&p=61027

The exFAT is a windows propriety driver. So unless sony get's a license from windows then you'll get exFat support.

The NTFS is not a block type filesystem and is really bad if you're using it as a mass storage. You'll likely end up destroying your sdcard if you use NTFS for a long time so it's not enabled by default. But it would be easy to enable when devs get their hands on the kernel source.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Evidence that the Xperia Z supports 64GB microSD cards:

xperiaz64gbsupport.png

Mine is a Sandisk microSDXC 64GB card.

When I first inserted the card into the phone, it would say that the card is not supported and asked if I wanted to format the card. When I select the "OK" option, it formats the card and it's all ready to be used. :)
    It states as FAT32:

fat32g.jpg
    Yes, it supports 64GB micro SD cards so long as they are FAT32 formatted.

I'm using a 64GB SanDisk MicroSDXC card in my ZL right now.
    Hello,

I saw this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1909697 and http://www.xperiablog.net/2011/12/14/xperia-play-supports-64gb-microsd-memory-cards/

and I wonder if the Z will support 64gb sd cards. Overall it looks like a great phone but with only 16gb internal, I would never even consider it without 64gb support. Thoughts?

BTW, I searched all the forums and it doesn't look like its been talked about much.
    I can now confirm the xperia Z is working with a 64GB micro SD card. I work at vodafone HQ in London, we have the final version of the device and we are currently testing the device with our network and apps ect. My boss was demonstrating the device to interns and other technical officals, and when i went on his demo device, i seen that he had a 64GB class 10 HDHC micro sd card. I think its due to the way the card is formatted, i think he formatted using exFAT, and NOT fat32, i am yet to confirm this but this is amazing news :D!!