[Q] Play Music cache to SD card? Works on my S4

Search This thread

stuartv

May 30, 2012
I have a Note 10.1 (2012) and a Verizon Galaxy S4. I have the Play Music app on both and in Settings, both have the exact same version string - "v5.3.1317M.940995"

On my phone, in the Downloading section of the Settings, there is an option labeled "Storage location" and it lets me choose "59.5 GB External", which is my 64GB microSD card. I also have a 64 gig microSD in my Note 10.1. But, in the Play Music Settings, there is no setting listed for "Storage location".

That seems really odd when both apps claim to be the exact same version.

Can anybody tell me why the Note version isn't letting me download music to my SD, instead of internal? Is it because my S4 is on Android 4.3, but my Note is still 4.2?

I saw where somebody explained how to use a symlink to redirect the Play Music cache folder to the microSD. Is there a better/easier way to do it?

stuartv

May 30, 2012
I checked and my Note is Android 4.1.2, not 4.2.

Also, looking at some tracks that I added via the Music Manager on my PC, when I see them on my Note, I don't see option to pin them to my device so I can be assured they get downloaded and are available for offline listening.

Does this have anything to do with being rooted? Even though I have used RootKeeper to temp unroot it?

airesch

Mar 21, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
It has nothing to do with being rooted. The almighty Google has deemed the feature to be in "beta" and only shows the option on certain devices. An alternative for the Note 10.1 is to install the Xposed (since your already rooted) framework and use the Music2SD module.

Reactions: stuartv

stuartv

May 30, 2012
airesch, thanks for the info. I reckon that explains it. And I guess it's good as I can hope that it will come out of beta soon and show on my Note.

In the meantime, I that, since I'm rooted, I can make a folder on my SD card and use some utility (or probably do it from the command line) to create a symlink to my music folder, under the Play Music folder where it keeps its cache folder. Then delete the cache folder and rename the symlink to cache.

That sounds like it should work. Do you see any problem with doing that?

airesch

Mar 21, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
airesch, thanks for the info. I reckon that explains it. And I guess it's good as I can hope that it will come out of beta soon and show on my Note.

In the meantime, I that, since I'm rooted, I can make a folder on my SD card and use some utility (or probably do it from the command line) to create a symlink to my music folder, under the Play Music folder where it keeps its cache folder. Then delete the cache folder and rename the symlink to cache.

I think I have heard of other people having some success doing that. At the very least, I don't know of any definite problems with going that route. Personally, I find using Xposed is easier.

Reactions: stuartv

stuartv

May 30, 2012
I did some searching on here for Xposed and couldn't find a thread on it. And I don't know what it actually is. Got any pointers for me?

stuartv

May 30, 2012
Never mind. I find Xposed. I was only searching before in the Note 10.1 forum. My bad...

stuartv

May 30, 2012
airesch: Thanks again for the tip on Xposed. The Music2SD module is not working for me, but the RootCloak module, which I found for it, is letting me use my DirecTV Genie GO app without having to do a temp unroot on my tablet, which is great!

I wish Music2SD worked for me, though. It opens and shows my storage location as Internal Storage. And it won't let me change it to anything else. When I tap it to change it, it just flashes and stays as "Internal Storage". I posted in the thread for the Music2SD module to see if somebody there can get me sorted out.

My tablet is rooted, but still on the stock TW ROM. The Music2SD app only mentions it working for the Note 10.1 with CM, so I was not exactly shocked when I tried it and it did not work. :-\

airesch

Mar 21, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Odd, I am not stock, but still on a TW rom (Hyperdrive) and it works. Sorry, figured it would work on stock as well. My bad. Hopefully symlinking it works out. Glad you found another use for Xposed.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

stuartv

May 30, 2012
It's weird. About 10 minutes after I gave up on it and just set my tablet down on my desk, all of a sudden it popped up a SuperSU dialog asking for permission for root for Music2SD. I clicked Grant and then it, basically, seemed to work. At least, it let me choose External Storage.

But then I went into Google Music Player and pinned a song from my own collection. I got a notification that my music download was complete.

I turned off WiFi on my tablet, then went back into GMP and started the song playing. That worked, so I knew it was now local.

But then I went into Astro File Manager to verify where it was stored. I looked in Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache on both the internal storage and the SD card and both were empty!

Then I did a Restart on my tablet, still with WiFi off. When it came back up, I tried to play the same song and it said an Internet connection was required.

So, the real answer is that Music2SD seems totally flaky on my tablet. :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It has nothing to do with being rooted. The almighty Google has deemed the feature to be in "beta" and only shows the option on certain devices. An alternative for the Note 10.1 is to install the Xposed (since your already rooted) framework and use the Music2SD module.

I think I have heard of other people having some success doing that. At the very least, I don't know of any definite problems with going that route. Personally, I find using Xposed is easier.