Xvid avi player

Search This thread

llotech

Mar 14, 2008
Toronto
Does anyone know where to get a video player that plays compressed avi files? I'v tried every player available to me in the market but so far nothing. :(

silencer25321

May 27, 2008
you can't, you need to convert to mp4 inoder to watch movies or videos on android. i use Video Player to watch the vids and Handbrake to convert to mp4 handbrake.fr is the website i believe.

llotech

Mar 14, 2008
Toronto
Thanks silencer,

I don't really understand why this has to be this way, but I'll take your word for it. I thought it only required some kind of codec to play different kinds of videos.

Thanks again, HandBrake works great.

evilkorn

Jun 10, 2009
Boynton Beach, FL
Google Pixel 3 XL
DivX is a proprietary codec, which means licensing fees for every phone. Don't talk about XviD, it's a knock-off/reverse engineered DivX codec and will never come stock on a phone.

Android != windows - You can't just drop in codecs that the player wasn't compiled with.

AMoosa

Sep 24, 2006
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Could somebody not port the media player from the new Archos Android device. It plays almost all video formats including Divx and Xvid.

By the way, there is a paid-for app on the marketplace called yxflash which will play xvid and divx, albeit a bit choppy. There is a trial version which will play for 2 minutes that you could try out.

The Archos player would be cool though!

XVilka

Feb 11, 2010
Moscow
droid-developers.org
I'm found way to porting xvid on android
But its only a libxvidcore.so
You must write an application to use it, but it's not so hard.

export _XXCFLAGS=" -mcpu=cortex-a8 -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=vfpv3 -O3 -Os" (if you have Motorola Milestone/Droid or other device with TI OMAP3430)
export _XXCFLAGS=" -march=armv6j -mtune=arm1136jf-s -O3 -Os" (if you have HTC Hero or other device with Quallcomm MSM 7200A)
or others flags for your device, based on information of his chip.

also you must have cross-toolchain to build it.

cd src/build/generic
./configure --host=arm --target=arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi CC="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc" \
CXX="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-g++" STRIP="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-strip" \
AR="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-ar" AS="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-as" \
LD="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-ld" RANLIB="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-ranlib" \
OBJDUMP="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-objdump" NM="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-nm" \
CROSS_COMPILE="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-" \
CFLAGS=" -nodefaultlibs -nostdlib -fPIC $_XXFLAGS" \
CXXFLAGS=" -nodefaultlibs -nostdlib -fPIC $_XXFLAGS" \
LDFLAGS=" -fPIC -static -s -L$HOME/build/cross/sys-root/usr/lib -lm -lc" --prefix="$HOME/build/cross/sys-root/usr"
cd =build
rm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-ld -shared -s -o libxvidcore.so -whole-archive libxvidcore.a

libxvidcore.so - shared library without any dependencies (only kernel!, not libc)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inform for toolchain
Based on crosstol-ng with gnu gcc + uClibc + kernel sources from your device vendor.
If needed i can post advanced information with sample configs. But i'm have very bad memory - so if you needed advanced howto - please send direct (private) message.