[Q] Wifi settings for min. battery consumption

Search This thread

Animor

Jun 29, 2012
Hi,

I was trying to search but didn't find a conclusive answer.
Which option is better in terms of battery consumption, especially during the night:

1. Turn off wifi and use cellular data.
2. wifi + Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep set to "Never".
3. wifi + Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep set to "Only when connected".
4. wifi + Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep set to "Always".

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Aegishua

Feb 26, 2008
Sydney
Hi,

I was trying to search but did find a conclusive answer.
Which option is better in terms of battery consumption, especially during the night:

Thanks in advance!

You have sort of answered your own question... for Minimal battery consumption set it to 2 (Never). I would recommend just sticking to 3 which is better for overall use or just toggling your Wifi yourself.

Animor

Jun 29, 2012
You have sort of answered your own question... for Minimal battery consumption set it to 2 (Never). I would recommend just sticking to 3 which is better for overall use or just toggling your Wifi yourself.

Thank you for your answer.
But isn't setting it to 2 during night is the same as turning wifi off and use cellular data instead?
So does it mean that cellular data is better in terms of battery?

And why 3 is better for overall use?

Lets assume that cellular data is free of charge for this matter, and my only concern is battery.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Thank you for your answer.
But isn't setting it to 2 during night is the same as turning wifi off and use cellular data instead?
So does it mean that cellular data is better in terms of battery?

And why 3 is better for overall use?

Lets assume that cellular data is free of charge for this matter, and my only concern is battery.

Listen to Coreym and set it to 2 all the time, wifi uses way less batterylife than 3G mate. 3G sucks the life out of your battery. Just try it and you will see

Last edited:

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
what about using only 2G instead of 3G? How it is compared to WiFi usage?

Sure and while you`re at it disable 3 cores permanently, lower brightness to 0 and don`t ever use your phone for better batterytime, 2G will consume more power as it is slower and so it takes longer to retreive data.

Last edited:

Animor

Jun 29, 2012
Listen to Coreym and set it to 2 all the time, wifi uses way less batterylife than 3G mate. 3G sucks the life out of your battery. Just try it and you will see.

Ok, but if wifi is better than 3g for the battery, why not set it to 3 or 4 and use wifi all the time?

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Ok, but if wifi is better than 3g for the battery, why not set it to 3 or 4 and use wifi all the time?

Just looked in my own settings and i have option 3 checked: wifi on Always. It also depends on the user, do you use wifi a lot or just once in a while. The best thing to do is try a few settings for yourself and see which setings consumes the least amount of battery.

Animor

Jun 29, 2012
But I do want data during the night - for example for whatsapp, emails and so on. So turning both off is not an option for me.

- On one hand, people here say to set wifi, but "never" during sleep. But that means to use only 3g during the night, doesn't it? Or I'm missing something here?
- On the other hand, 3G costs more than wifi in terms of battery.

So I don't understand how these two go together.

komjin

Jun 1, 2012
BS
I have set to "Always" so the device have not to reconnect when unlocking screen, what drains battery imho.
But in the night I set flight mode on cause I want and need to sleep and don't need new SMS or Whatsapp or calls :)

Animor

Jun 29, 2012
But I do want data during the night - for example for whatsapp, emails and so on. So turning both off is not an option for me.

- On one hand, people here say to set wifi, but "never" during sleep. But that means to use only 3g during the night, doesn't it? Or I'm missing something here?
- On the other hand, 3G costs more than wifi in terms of battery.

So I don't understand how these two go together.
Can someone clarify this for me please?

vasp3690

Apr 23, 2012
3g doesn't cost more in terms of battery so long as you have a very good signal. If you don't or if for some reason the network has a problem then it will drain the battery.

What I recently started using is a program called ds battery saver which toggles wifi or 3g periodically depending on what you set it up for so that you do get night time data but not on all the time. That helps with battery

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I was trying to search but did find a conclusive answer.

Thanks in advance!