Home-made 128 GB micro-SD

Search This thread

lepapirriky

Oct 21, 2008
Sorry buddy. I've been floating in the middle of the pacific ocean (US Navy) since shortly after I posted my setup results. I'll get some pics when I get back to land :good: I re-adjusted my "cable routing" on the mod to where my battery cover shuts completely. It's a little bulged in the middle, but snaps shut all around now. If I had to do it again, and I might anyway, I'm thinking about cutting up a Cat5 cable and using that as it's tiny. You really want the smallest cable possible. I've done lot's of wireless charging mods and other mods with my last few phones and I hate it when battery covers bulge or don't shut right. The best mod is an invisible one IMO and I'm not there yet with this. Still worth it as I have 70gb of music, 2 TV seasons in 720p, 3 or 4 movies in 720p and an extra 10gb or so left over just for kicks :D

Awesome!!! Im glad you are going to update this thread!! I'll wait patiently now :)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

mesh626

Aug 12, 2009
Los Angeles
This is amazing! I have a 64gb in my Note 2 and I thought that would be enough space but it's not I'm getting close to maxing out my card! I want to try this

ghandi2000

Feb 18, 2013
thanks so much, farfromovin! this is exactly what i set out to do myself! well basically at least, since my sensation xe bulges a little too much with an sd-card inside, even if it's stripped down.

still have to wait for my adaptor, but it's great seeing that my plan is doable, from a technical point of view. now the only challenge is to make room for the bigger card in the phone itself, which will get quite interesting, i'm sure.

i'll present my mod in the sensation-forum, well, at least if i don't destroy my phone in the process.

thanks again for the infos/pics!

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
This is a good idea for mass production if it were to be made even cleaner! great job on this!

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
Finally some pics. I put mine higher than the battery to make room for a qi wireless charging receiver and as such you can see my battery cover has a hard time closing up top. Doesn't matter to me as I use a seidio surface case and everything is great!
ha2eja5a.jpg

ynu5umet.jpg

Sent from my GIANT internet thingy.

Last edited:

lepapirriky

Oct 21, 2008
Finally some pics. I put mine higher than the battery to make room for a qi wireless charging receiver and as such you can see my battery cover has a hard time closing up top. Doesn't matter to me as I use a seidio surface case and everything is great!
ha2eja5a.jpg

turybu6y.jpg

Very nice!!!! I also thought of positioning on that side and wonder how bulky it'll come.

I have already order my cable but waiting for the sd card to get a bit cheaper, right now its 106.

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
I'm starting mine now, will post some screens when done

I had much smaller wire but I left it at home when I went out to sea (that's when I did this). I think with the tiny wire you could position it where mine is and still have a closing battery cover. I might redo mine again with the tiny (30ga ?) wire but that flex print sucks so bad to work with...

kwenteen

Apr 21, 2009
Great job !
Can you tell if your mod still allow you the use of nfc? It might affect the connection between the phone and the antenna ?
I was wondering how i could add a wireless charging mod with the sdcard mod and with the nfc still working...

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
Great job !
Can you tell if your mod still allow you the use of nfc? It might affect the connection between the phone and the antenna ?
I was wondering how i could add a wireless charging mod with the sdcard mod and with the nfc still working...

My NFC is in op currently, but I just need to add a little copper tape between the contacts, or re-solder the wires with the smaller ones to get the case to snap shut. The QI receivers for wireless charging sit on the battery and don't interfere with NFC at all.

ghandi2000

Feb 18, 2013
wow, that's coming together nicely! i also thought the blue wires are a little on the thick side, but if that's what's available, you gotta use it! :)

my sd->microsd adaptor finally arrived and now i'm waiting for my 128gb kingston. when i got it i'll do a quick check to see if it works on my sensation xe, but the goal is to integrate it "completely", so the battery-cover closes securely, since i don't use any case to "cover up" my doings. :)
i hope i'll get it next week and will keep you updated!

the only thing i worry about it that by the time i finish this lil' project, there'll be 128gb-cards in micro-sd... ^^

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
wow, that's coming together nicely! i also thought the blue wires are a little on the thick side, but if that's what's available, you gotta use it! :)

my sd->microsd adaptor finally arrived and now i'm waiting for my 128gb kingston. when i got it i'll do a quick check to see if it works on my sensation xe, but the goal is to integrate it "completely", so the battery-cover closes securely, since i don't use any case to "cover up" my doings. :)
i hope i'll get it next week and will keep you updated!

the only thing i worry about it that by the time i finish this lil' project, there'll be 128gb-cards in micro-sd... ^^

Then 256gb sd cards should drop drastically in price :cool:

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

I'll redo mine next weekend and post pics. Hoping to get that cover shut :)

Reactions: lepapirriky

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
Awesome!! And tell us where you got the wires from

I re-did my mod this morning and unfortunately am unable to post pics until this weekend but it's much better than previously posted. I took out that copper wire with the blue heatshrink and used regular 30ga insulated wire that is MUCH smaller. Now the battery cover shuts, but it's just pushed out a tiny bit by the NFC connections. A small ball of copper tape should do the trick there. The battery cover shuts good enough for very tight fitting cases to be slid on I'm sure. I'm pretty happy with it now and don't plan on changing anything now :victory:

Reactions: lepapirriky

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello All,
    here is a little mod to add a 128 GB sdcard in the galaxy note 2 microSD slot...
    It's derived from my original mod, that was much more thick, ugly, and phone warranty killer =>
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1356754
    This mod won't work directly on the galaxy note 2, unless I destroy the NFC module that is covering the microSD slot.
    So I decided to go another way :
    I kept only the microSD adapter, soldered some Kynar wire on it, and soldered it directly to my 128 GB LEXAR SDcard, that I stripped down a little too, for this mod to be as thin as possible... as you can see on the pics, the wire and the soldering on the microSD side are englued with Thermal glue to add resistance when manipulating. I added tape also to protect the circuit of the SDcard.
    I shaped the wire this way so the SDcard rest in the middle of the battery, so the bulge is almost invisible when the case is back on !
    The card is FAT32 formatted, so no problem on compatibility, and I don't have files bigger than 4GB, so no problem for me !
    That's it, no more, no less, and it works like a charm !
    PC210004.jpg PC210002.jpg

PC210001.jpg

Boujou bien,
    K.
    Can you detail this 6500mAh mod?

Here are some pics

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
    gemera2a.jpg

My battery cover fits and snaps on all corners but it bulges in a couple spots. It still fits perfectly in my Seidio Active case, so I'm a very happy camper. Now if I can just get my iBolt car dock running usb audio out I have 600+ music albums in V0 variable bit rate just waiting to pulse through my car speakers. From here on out, I will not purchase a phone with less than 128gb of memory. :D
    ha2eja5a.jpg

ynu5umet.jpg

Where can I get the adaptor? I think I might try this, I cut my otter box down the 2nd day after buying it, I now run a 6500mah extended battery inside with virtually no added thickness.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

Can you detail this 6500mAh mod?