Odin Failure to flash CWM Galaxy S4 ATT

Search This thread
Jul 7, 2014
Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble getting custom roms installed on my Galaxy S4. Here is a little information about the phone

Carrier: ATT
Model: Galaxy SGH - 1337
Android version 4.2.2

After spending a few hours here on XDA both searching the site and posting on the help thread, I've come to no solution.
So yesterday due to a level of frustration with the amount of bloat that comes pre-installed on the Samsung devices, I decided I would try to set up a custom rom. I've used the Towelroot site to root the device (enable superuser access and disable Knox,) But wasn't able to install CWM. I've downloaded and installed the CWM Rom Manager and inside that app is an option to install CWM manually. Of course it isn't that easy, because although it says it's installed the recovery, when I boot into recover mode, it is still the stock android recovery mode.

So I turned to Odin. Specifically Odin 3.09. This is where the problems start. I start my phone and enable download mode. The phone is recognized by Odin and I choose the CWM file I have (recover-clockwork-touch-6.0.4.4-jflteatt.tar.) I press start and the process begins, but before long I see FAIL! in red at the top :(

The message box reads as follows:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/003> Removed!!

I've tried using three different usb cables (including the stock s4 cable included in the packaging) and several different ports of course to no avail.
What exactly does FAIL! (Auth) mean? That seems to be the point where it goes south. I've tried other Odin versions and gotten more or less the same result.

Could I be flashing a bad file? Is the CWM.tar not the correct file to flash?

Anyways if anyone has a fix to this particular solution then let me know. Otherwise I'll take really any other viable solution to enabling custom roms on the Galaxy S4 for ATT. I'd like this to be a thread that people see when they google search it, so I won't give up and I'll be sure to post with the best process that I can find!

dorian2kx

Sep 24, 2012
I think u maybe flashing a bad file or maybe ur choosing wrong option in Odin to flash the recovery, what option did u choose? and also check in the att s4 section as this is not the right forum for ur phone model

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2014
I think u maybe flashing a bad file or maybe ur choosing wrong option in Odin to flash the recovery, what option did u choose? and also check in the att s4 section as this is not the right forum for ur phone model

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Odin PDA loader and then start. Very simple it seems. I didn't see any particular ATT s4 section but maybe a mod could move me over?

Lennyz1988

May 15, 2009
Amsterdam
Alright stop what you are doing. Want to kill your phone? Keep going like this.

The stuff you try to flash is NOT for you phone. You don't have an i9505 or an i9500. You have an at&t phone. That's a completely different section on xda.

You need to be in this section.

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-att/general

You probably need to look for unlocking your bootloader. But I would suggest reading and understanding everything before you do anything like this again. If you want to kill your phone this is the way to do it.

Reactions: MAX 404

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright stop what you are doing. Want to kill your phone? Keep going like this.

The stuff you try to flash is NOT for you phone. You don't have an i9505 or an i9500. You have an at&t phone. That's a completely different section on xda.

You need to be in this section.

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-att/general

You probably need to look for unlocking your bootloader. But I would suggest reading and understanding everything before you do anything like this again. If you want to kill your phone this is the way to do it.