[GUIDE] Huawei IDEOS X3 (U8510) | Root | CWM | CyanogenMod 7.2

Search This thread

ziggyboy

Nov 15, 2010
Canberra
This thread is about the Huawei IDEOS X3 (U8510) mobile phone.

Some apparent facts:
  • We need a dedicated X3 forum or at least a generic Huawei forum where all the numerous Huawei owners can get together.
  • Huawei U8650 ROM's are compatible with the X3's with some minor configuration differences. The U8650 port of CM7 is claimed to work well with the X3 and is faster than the stock ROM.
  • Much of X3 development activity have been on German and Spanish forums. Maybe because the English-speaking world got their X3's much later than continental Europe?

XDA sources:

External sources:

Rooting Instructions

This was taken from lowskill's Automatic Root Enabler thread in Android Hilfe forums. Many thanks to him for this.

The Automatic Root Enabler for the X3 v1.0 should install:
  • ClockworkMod Recovery v4.0.1.5
  • Superuser v3.0.6
  • Su binary v3.0.3

Install BusyBox from the Market through one of the installers.

Step by step
  1. Download the Automatic Root Enabler for the X3. For more recent versions I suggest checking his thread and the forum it's in as I may not be able to update this thread all the time.
  2. Install the latest USB drivers for the X3. Search for the latest version of "HUAWEI Android Phones USB Driver" from the Huawei Downloads site.
  3. Turn on USB Debugging from Settings -> Application -> Development on the X3.
  4. Connect the X3 to your PC via microUSB.
  5. Run the Automatic Root Enabler and it should start rooting your phone automatically.

It should finish off with something like this:
3Az8X.png

There ya go! Your X3 should be happily rooted with CWM installed

Last edited:

ziggyboy

Nov 15, 2010
Canberra
CyanogenMod 7.2 (Unofficial)

There are a few things you have to know before installing CyanogenMod:
  • There is no official CM port for the X3.
  • This CM port came from the developers in the Spanish forum HTC Mania. It was originally built for the Huawei U8650 phone which, if you've read the first post in this thread, have got near identical ROM's to the X3. The guys from the German forum Android Hilfe have taken this port, tweaked and modified it to suit the X3. I don't have a comprehensive list of U8650 and X3 differences but suffice it to say the Android Hilfe folks are happy with the stability of this particular version.
  • As you can see it took me a while to crawl through Spanish and German pages, but with the help of Google Chrome's automatic translation I was able to make of what was going on. I will occasionally try and update this thread based on updates from the said external forums but I'd like to apologise in advance that I will probably not be able to do this quick enough after new releases come out.

External sources:

CM7.2 Installation Instructions

The version in this tutorial is cyanogen_u8650-benru89-neu-samia99-2-mit-Wallpaper. the "Wallpaper" bit only means that this is the version with no wallpapers included. It's a lightweight version and contains no bloat.

Note: Please backup your stock ROM with CWM Recovery before installing CyanogenMod. I haven't found an updated version of the stock ROM elsewhere. Mine came with 2.3.4 (Vodafone branded) but the flashable ROM's I could find on the web were all 2.3.3 generic.

1. Make sure you root your phone as per the instructions in the previous post. You will need to use CWM Recovery.
  2. Download samia99's cyanogen_u8650-benru89-neu-samia99-2-mit-Wallpaper.zip ROM and save it in the X3's SD card.
  3. Reboot your phone into recovery. I use the Quick Boot app from the Market to do this.
  4. Do a factory wipe, cache wipe and Dalvik cache wipe (from Advanced menu).
  5. Select Install zip from SD card and select the ZIP file you've just copied.
  6. Reboot after installation has completed.

For CyanogenMod configuration questions please see CM docs or CM-specific threads.

That's it! Enjoy!

Last edited:

viotos

Oct 19, 2011

Some apparent facts:
  • We need a dedicated X3 forum or at least a generic Huawei forum where all the numerous Huawei owners can get together.
  • Huawei U8650 ROM's are compatible with the X3's with some minor configuration differences. The U8650 port of CM7 is claimed to work well with the X3 and is faster than the stock ROM.
  • Much of X3 development activity have been on German and Spanish forums. Maybe because the English-speaking world got their X3's much later than continental Europe?

XDA sources:

External sources:

Rooting Instructions

This was taken from lowskill's Automatic Root Enabler thread in Android Hilfe forums. Many thanks to him for this.

• Superuser v3.0.6
  • Su binary v3.0.3

Step by step
  1. Download the Automatic Root Enabler for the X3. For more recent versions I suggest checking his thread and the forum it's in as I may not be able to update this thread all the time.
  2. Install the latest USB drivers for the X3. Search for the latest version of "HUAWEI Android Phones USB Driver" from the Huawei Downloads site.
  5. Run the Automatic Root Enabler and it should start rooting your phone automatically.

3Az8X.png

There ya go! Your X3 should be happily rooted with CWM installed. Should be easier to flash other ROM's at this point. Have yet to try CM7 though. Let me know how you all go from here and I'll update this thread.

thenks very mats just root my x3 its verry good ( bill from greece )

Last edited:

ziggyboy

Nov 15, 2010
Canberra
good job!!! but is this version of cyan sluggish like the resT?
Sluggish in comparison to the X3 stock or other CM versions?

I find this version more responsive than the X3 stock (which lagged quite a bit for me) but got no point of comparison with other CM versions/builds. Only thing I noticed is this CM build seems to eat more battery than my rooted stock. On both I had the same SetCPU and JuiceDefender settings.

lowskill

Nov 12, 2011
Windows XP Driver Issue in Fastboot Mode

It's a driver issue. The entry for the bootloader interface in Windows XP is missing in the official Huawei USB driver package.

I've made a driver installer, which is based on the current Google USB driver. I only added the missing interface entries. It's tested and working in Windows 7 (64bit & 32bit) and Windows XP. Unfortunately I can't post the download link -.-

To prevent spam to the forums, ALL new users are not permitted to post outside links in their messages. After approximately eight posts, you will be able to post outside links. Thanks for understanding!

Last edited:

conradwu

Nov 15, 2011
Thanks for the great work gathering useful info and make them in English.

I bought my U8510 in Taiwan and this CM7.2 mostly works with it, except the back camera freezes and FC after a few seconds or as soon as I take a photo.

The front camera is working perfectly though.

Other then that everything seems OK.

The bad thing is I didn't make a original ROM backup and I don't know to restore through the downloaded update.app file, as CM7 doesn't have that "upgrade from SD" option in settings.

Any insight is appreciated.

Reactions: mudja

conradwu

Nov 15, 2011
Managed to flash back to stock ROM by pressing Vol+ Vol- and Power Button with the update.app copied to SD card (/dload/)

Also I just found the latest official 2.3.5 ROM if anyone's interested:
(oops, unable to post link as I am a new comer, it's from huawei's office site).

droiduser

Jul 15, 2009
Found it incorrectly sets the MAC address for the wifi device...
or its just different from the stock rom i had, had to reset the mac filter on my wifi to accept the new rom

winsock32

Jul 12, 2010
Help

Can anyone upload the rom to MF since it will take me ages to download from rapidshare.. thank you.. btw..has anyone try the versions of this rom (there are 4 version on android-hilfe[dot]de..

Reactions: plan3

Rakaan

Jan 15, 2011
London
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Fantastic....just installed it with your instructions....no problem at all.

It's different language...how to change it???

How do I get google market on board now?

Thanks once again.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Never mind.....market is already there. Just changed the language and its working flawlessly.

mudja

May 19, 2011
Coimbra
i´ve a Huwaei X3(U8510) and i put this ROM,works very nice! But i can´t send or recive MMS,i´m from Portugal and i Have Vodafone network.Can someone help me please...

Last edited:

kolosus

Oct 14, 2010
Phillipsburg, NJ. USA
The rom that you're using has a different apn setting.

If you can find someone on your network using the same phone you can ask them to backup their apn settings and then restore the apn backup to your phone. There are many apn settings backup programs in the Market. If you cannot find the same phone on the same network then you can try apn settings from another android phone on the same network. But it has to be the same network.

If you know the mmsc that your provider (vodaphone in this case) uses then you can go into apn settings and edit it yourself. I'm sorry this part is going to be a bit jumbled since I do not have a x3 and cannot test if it works... but it should work. Open "voice dialing" or something similar and say "Open APN". It will open the settings you might have to enter your MSL to get into edit mode then change the mmsc portion. Once changed try sending a picture message.

For example my rom is for Sprint so my mmsc was
mms.sprintpcs.com

I had to change it to
mm.myboostmoblie.com

Hopefully this information gets you looking in the right direction. Good luck.

forcedv

Mar 7, 2006
Hi Guys,

Trying to download the " cyanogen_u8650-benru89-neu-samia99-2-mit-Wallpaper.zip " but it's not available from the link on page one.

Can someone provide another download of this Rom, please?

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Some apparent facts:

XDA sources:

External sources:

Rooting Instructions

• Superuser v3.0.6
    • Su binary v3.0.3

Step by step

3Az8X.png

There ya go! Your X3 should be happily rooted with CWM installed
    CyanogenMod 7.2 (Unofficial)

There are a few things you have to know before installing CyanogenMod:
    • There is no official CM port for the X3.
    • This CM port came from the developers in the Spanish forum HTC Mania. It was originally built for the Huawei U8650 phone which, if you've read the first post in this thread, have got near identical ROM's to the X3. The guys from the German forum Android Hilfe have taken this port, tweaked and modified it to suit the X3. I don't have a comprehensive list of U8650 and X3 differences but suffice it to say the Android Hilfe folks are happy with the stability of this particular version.
    • As you can see it took me a while to crawl through Spanish and German pages, but with the help of Google Chrome's automatic translation I was able to make of what was going on. I will occasionally try and update this thread based on updates from the said external forums but I'd like to apologise in advance that I will probably not be able to do this quick enough after new releases come out.

External sources:

CM7.2 Installation Instructions

The version in this tutorial is cyanogen_u8650-benru89-neu-samia99-2-mit-Wallpaper. the "Wallpaper" bit only means that this is the version with no wallpapers included. It's a lightweight version and contains no bloat.

Note: Please backup your stock ROM with CWM Recovery before installing CyanogenMod. I haven't found an updated version of the stock ROM elsewhere. Mine came with 2.3.4 (Vodafone branded) but the flashable ROM's I could find on the web were all 2.3.3 generic.

1. Make sure you root your phone as per the instructions in the previous post. You will need to use CWM Recovery.
    2. Download samia99's cyanogen_u8650-benru89-neu-samia99-2-mit-Wallpaper.zip ROM and save it in the X3's SD card.
    3. Reboot your phone into recovery. I use the Quick Boot app from the Market to do this.
    4. Do a factory wipe, cache wipe and Dalvik cache wipe (from Advanced menu).
    5. Select Install zip from SD card and select the ZIP file you've just copied.
    6. Reboot after installation has completed.

For CyanogenMod configuration questions please see CM docs or CM-specific threads.

That's it! Enjoy!
    HOWTO (without needing Windaz or tools of unknown origin)

install the basic AOSP tools: fastboot, adb and friends
    enable USB debugging in settings -> applications.

confirm device is connected with adb
    Code:
    barf@yasui:~/huawei/U8510$ adb devices
    List of devices attached 
    1C1D67D3ADBF	device
    reboot into Huawei's bootloader, it just shows huawei's logo
    Code:
    barf@yasui:~/huawei$ adb reboot-bootloader
    erase recovery 'partition' (tho it's not a PC-style partition its a static offset on the flash)
    Code:
    root@yasui:~# fastboot erase recovery
    erasing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [  0.057s]
    finished. total time: 0.057s
    followed by flashing an appropriate recovery.img
    Code:
    root@yasui:~# fastboot flash recovery huawei/U8510/recovery_image/RecoveryClockmodByZaDkYn/recovery.img 
    sending 'recovery' (4992 KB)...
    OKAY [  1.253s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [  0.987s]
    finished. total time: 2.241s
    kick it in the guts one last time
    Code:
    root@yasui:~# fastboot reboot
    rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.000s

with the recovery flashed you're on your feet enough to install custom ROMs via SD. a good time to backup is now.
    Backing up stock ROM (including recovery) from fastboot mode

HOWTO (without needing Windaz or tools of unknown origin)

Thanks! This may be the easiest way to root a phone yet, and it would appear to have universal application.

It's also worth noting that ClockworkMod (or any other kernel, for that matter) can be booted directly from fastboot mode, allowing one to make a backup of the stock recovery before overwriting it.

Simply execute "fastboot boot path/to/recovery-clockworkmod.img" and perform a nandroid backup in the usual manner.
    For those who had trouble installing the right driver for rooting like me, please use the T-Mobile Pulse driver which is also a Huawei machine.

http://android.modaco.com/topic/308399-pulse-21-windows-drivers-7-vista-xp/

I had a bad time getting the right driver because the one bundled or on Huawei website simply didn't work for rooting.

*Please thank this post if you find it useful, thank you!*