GSM / data signal loss

Search This thread

hsahin4

Jan 14, 2011
İstanbul
Hello everyone,

I would like to share big problem what I have and killing me.

Sometimes (1 time in a day or 1 time in 2 days), GSM signal is lost and I have to restart my nexus. What I have done so far,

* I checked my IMEI number and that's OK
* I checked my sim card againts to damages and scratches and that's OK. But these is gap between sim tray and card by ~1mm. The gap is only on long side of tray, short side is fully matched.
* I checked signal power and asked to carrier (TR AVEA) and that's OK.
* I installed hidden menus from Google Play then go to setting -> testing menu -> Phone Info
- preferred mode : GSM auto (PRL)
- If I select "select radia band" from pull-down menu, only one possibilities "USA Band". Even If select this, GSM and data signal loss.
- I tried another carrier sim card (Vodafone TR) and applied same settings above (USA Band), and failed again.
- I understand that "USA Band" is not suitable for us :)

My device is D821(E) and use 4.4.3 full stock firmware. No root, locked.

Can anyone help me? Thank.

Lewythefly

May 29, 2013
After I updated to 4.4.3 (via purity ROM and Flashing the new Radio/Baseband) I noticed my data connection was constantly droppping in and out

So today I decided to flash the old radio from KRT16M (4.4.2) to see if it made a difference and it seems to have so far. I haven't had any loss of connection in the 2hrs since flashing, whereas on the new radio it was constantly dropping in and out. I will test for longer but i think the new radio in 4.4.3 may not be optimised for some networks (i'm on Optus in Australia)

hsahin4

Jan 14, 2011
İstanbul
After I updated to 4.4.3 (via purity ROM and Flashing the new Radio/Baseband) I noticed my data connection was constantly droppping in and out

So today I decided to flash the old radio from KRT16M (4.4.2) to see if it made a difference and it seems to have so far. I haven't had any loss of connection in the 2hrs since flashing, whereas on the new radio it was constantly dropping in and out. I will test for longer but i think the new radio in 4.4.3 may not be optimised for some networks (i'm on Optus in Australia)

2 months ago, someone from Turkey who use same carrier (TR AVEA) has noticed signal loss problem with 4.4.2
I remember that he has mentioned neither stock and customs has same problems. I think this is completely baseband problem.

banny7000

Dec 27, 2010

Also had to revert to 4.4.2 radio wasn't receiving incoming calls with the 4.4.3,don't think it really matters which you use though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Staggerlee66

Mar 11, 2014
I had same problem. Devs seem to think radios are the same for both phones. If they are why are there different models for usa and Europe? If you put a usa radio in uk phone it will work poorly as it has SOME bands and vice versa i found one marked d21 radio and back to normal. You are treated as a moron for thinking that the radios differ. Look at Wikipedia

# 47386

hsahin4

Jan 14, 2011
İstanbul
I had same problem. Devs seem to think radios are the same for both phones. If they are why are there different models for usa and Europe? If you put a usa radio in uk phone it will work poorly as it has SOME bands and vice versa i found one marked d21 radio and back to normal. You are treated as a moron for thinking that the radios differ. Look at Wikipedia

# 47386

Can you please share the name of baseband that you found?
And I checked the wikipedia and could not find any useful things as you said.

Staggerlee66

Mar 11, 2014
This is a photograph of the baseband I put in and another of the different frequencys the two phones use. Using D20 in uk drastically affects h+ as you will see by the difference

# 47386

Attachments

• 1402923565108.jpg
    1402923565108.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 438

Staggerlee66

Mar 11, 2014
On lte , which includes h+on most, you can see the d20 radio is usless in the UK i was getting h at best and 3g most. Now im back to h+all the time. The experts say that there is no difference so take your pick.

# 47386

Jirv311

Mar 30, 2008
Johnstown
Same problem here with the new 4.4.3 radio. Incredibly weak LTE signal (fine if I select 3G in Mobile Networks) and sometimes no signal at all. I may try flashing the older radio this evening.

Lewythefly

May 29, 2013
I'm still having some issues with the older radio, not as many as with the new, so there may be something inherent in the 4.4.3 update as well, this is annoying as my phone was running perfect on 4.4.2, may have to restore my backup

fxdil

Jun 3, 2014
Hello everyone,

I would like to share big problem what I have and killing me.

Sometimes (1 time in a day or 1 time in 2 days), GSM signal is lost and I have to restart my nexus. What I have done so far,

* I checked my IMEI number and that's OK
* I checked my sim card againts to damages and scratches and that's OK. But these is gap between sim tray and card by ~1mm. The gap is only on long side of tray, short side is fully matched.
* I checked signal power and asked to carrier (TR AVEA) and that's OK.
* I installed hidden menus from Google Play then go to setting -> testing menu -> Phone Info
- preferred mode : GSM auto (PRL)
- If I select "select radia band" from pull-down menu, only one possibilities "USA Band". Even If select this, GSM and data signal loss.
- I tried another carrier sim card (Vodafone TR) and applied same settings above (USA Band), and failed again.
- I understand that "USA Band" is not suitable for us :)

My device is D821(E) and use 4.4.3 full stock firmware. No root, locked.

Can anyone help me? Thank.

Guessing from the last line, you had updated to 4.4.3 through OTA? You could try to reflash the radio img but that would require you to has custom recovery.

# 47386

That's because flashing different modem images (D280/D281) does not change your available phone bands. It is a hardware limitation, nothing to do with with firmware.

Staggerlee66

Mar 11, 2014
That was not on my phone. I put it on. As you can see in the pic above there is a world of difference between the two models. Depending on where you are if you get a d20 radio in a d21 your going to get no data like i did

# 47386

fxdil

Jun 3, 2014
As far as I know, it depends on your network capabilities. I have a D281 running the latest D280 radio, everything works as fine. Faster LTE even.

ankitm

Jul 30, 2007
am not sure what is wrong too but am facing this issue quite a lot as well. But it is not restricted to Nexus 5 only. I have another phone Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 and face the same issue.

Am not sure what to do on this, however, after some search I found a site where the author claims it gets fixed after uninstalling updates of the following apps:
Google Launcher
Google Search
Google Maps
Google Hangouts
Google Newstand

One or more amongst the apps might be causing some issues. See if it fixes your problems. I will be trying it too but will uninstall all updates from one of the above applications at a time to see which app is the real culprit. Please share with all of us in case you get to know before me or have another solution for us to try.

PS: Hit 'Thank You;' if this helps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I realised it was happening more often when my gps was locked.. As soon as i switched off gps my signal restored..

Running rooted 4.4.3 stock rom

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk