Asus P552w ExtRom ( Extended Rom )

Search This thread

xphinx

Jan 28, 2007
Hello. This is my first post here so please take me easy :p

I've just dumped 6 raw images from an Asus P552w:
2 of them have in the header some "ECEC" string and I guess those are some ROM images from that phone (just like other ROMs I've seen)
1 of them has some "XPR Rf" string in header and I guess is related with Radio ROM (I've saw inside other strings like: GSM, BLuetooth...)
2xFAT16 raw images with files. I can mount Fat16 images (using DaemonTools or from Linux) to see what is inside and I saw is the main FS of the phone and another one has only a few configuration files.

My problem is with the last image EXTROM (it has 16MB and is full with phone operator string "Orange" and operator settings):
1xFAT32 raw image which I cannot mount. This image has the FAT32 structure:
- MBR (end with 0x55 0xAA)
- File System Information Sector (begin with: 0x52 0x52 0x61 0x41 and end with: 0x55 0xAA)
and then after ~3000 bytes is the MBR (ended with 0x55 0xAA) again then only 0x00 and after ~6000 bytes is the MBR one more time , then some 0x0 bytes and then I think there are some files.

Here you have a diagram how it looks:
---MBR
---FileSystemInformationSector
---0x00... 0x00 (~3000 bytes)
---MBR (identical with the 1st one)
---0x00... 0x00 (~6000 bytes)
---MBR (identical with the 1st one)
---0x00... 0x00 (~37000 bytes)
---RAW FILES (I saw a lot of strings there)

Can someone explain to me what is with that ExtROM ? I've searched on this site and I didn't find some tools to dump files inside that image.
I've tried to mount this images with DaemonTools and under linux with no luck. (I've even tryed to do some edit inside that image)

Last edited:

eusuntdexter1

Nov 28, 2008
Question

Hi.
This is my first post here too. If I don't bother you too much can you send me on private message how you did the backup for the p552 phone? I have one too locked to orange. I have also got from another forum a P552w rom image that the user I got it from Asus site. The update is no longer available from Asus and this is very strange. I didn't want to put that image on the phone yet because I want to do a backup first (ROM backup).

Last edited:

eusuntdexter1

Nov 28, 2008
I have tried following the tutorial but I was able only to dump the data from the extended ROM. When I was trying to save the other partitions I first checked for their length with -t parameter and I always got an error. It only worked for the EXT Rom (partition DSK4:) and for the SD card.
By the way, you have dumped the rom from the ASUS P552W (the one that it is NOT sold by Orange) and has the wifi or you have dumped the ROM of P552 (that do not have the wi-fi ... or it is disabled by Orange)? Can you share your rom? If you want I can upload the Ext ROM from my device. I have a Asus P552 (from Orange Romania). It does not have wifi ... or it is disabled.
I have been able to make the firmware from Asus run on my phone ... but I don't want to use it until I can backup my ROM ... and find a way to put the original ROM back if I break something during upgrade.

pak1to

Jun 20, 2007
Донецьк
eusuntdexter1 go to downloads extROM p552w
http://asusmobile.ru/board/viewtopic.php?p=201255#201255
You must be registered at forum for download
Filelist_ExtROM_p552w_ROU00:
- GM2WiFiDriver.CAB
- CABforLauncher.CAB
- CallFilter_0409.ARMV4I.CAB
- Disable_NITZ_registries_signed.CAB
- EnableSL.CAB
- EnableTATHidenMode.CAB
- install.OBM.NetworkSetting.CAB
- install.OBM.NetworkSetting1.CAB
- Micco_Battery2.cab
- MoveGettingStarted.CAB
- NVMProxyPatch_Signed_20081009.CAB
- PwrBtn_1022.CAB
- SetDefaultTheme.CAB
- shsettingsCountryCab.CAB
- StartupNetworkSetting.CAB
- Update_MSSIP_size.CAB
- BSP_GM2_MSLRIL_1028.CAB
- BSP_GM2Audio_570_1024.CAB
- ASUSTekBookmarksList.cab
- 1008CameraPatch.CAB
- CLENBOOT.GIF
- PWRONANI.GIF
- Installer.xml
- language_pack_ROU00

Last edited:

hpdefalcon

Jun 17, 2008
where?

I didn't see any thing.It's P535 ROM, not for P552w.Please check again.thanks
oh,are there all parts to cook a ROM? how to packet them to new ROM?

Last edited:

pak1to

Jun 20, 2007
Донецьк
I didn't see any thing.It's P535 ROM, not for P552w.Please check again.thanks
oh,are there all parts to cook a ROM? how to packet them to new ROM?
extROM_P552w_WWE.7z - its attached file in to my post , available for downloads registetred users in attached file in to my post , for not registered users can not see file :D

process of preparing/dump/cooking for 552 ROM described previously posts on forum Asusmobile.ru
We users P535 dumped rom P552 to pull the new Asus Glide end etc. from OEM P552
so,mirror for download ExtROM http://upload.com.ua/get/900647107/

Last edited:

User22

Mar 1, 2005
Hello,

Can any one of you share the "broadcom xxx.cab" .

I have an O2 Xda Zest that is made by Asus, but this phone has the microsoft stack and i think that Broadcom is a lot better.

Thanks.

lezioul

Jan 27, 2009
Nice
Amazon Fire TV
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum so please, be cool as i'm kinda newb to windows mobile device :D

Has anybody been able to download the extended ROM provided by pak1to?
The upload.com.ua link does not seem to work...

thx.

lezioul

Jan 27, 2009
Nice
Amazon Fire TV
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
ok, just forget it...google translation works fine, after all.
btw, same file, new link :
http://rapidshare.com/files/190571370/extROM_P552w_WWE.zip.html

Someone try out this archive? especially the "GM2WiFiDriver.CAB" file that is relevant to my interest..?

FYI, i recently get a p552 (without w, delivered by Orange France) and my aim here is to see if it's possible to activate wifi (and asus glide).

ABM30

Apr 24, 2009
ok, just forget it...google translation works fine, after all.
btw, same file, new link :
http://rapidshare.com/files/190571370/extROM_P552w_WWE.zip.html

Someone try out this archive? especially the "GM2WiFiDriver.CAB" file that is relevant to my interest..?

FYI, i recently get a p552 (without w, delivered by Orange France) and my aim here is to see if it's possible to activate wifi (and asus glide).

EXTROM is very easy to reach. The hidden partition name is ASUS_ROM. You type in TotalCommander the path \ASUS_ROM and there it is. It can be copied, deleted, writhed!!!
The GM2WiFiDriver.CAB is an updated driver (sdio.dll) for wifi, but the file is existing also in P552 Orange but is disabled by provider. I haven't find a way to enable it, yet.

myba2s

May 12, 2009
Can someone upload the p552w to mediafire filehost.

or send me this file 1008CameraPatch.CAB to test on wm6.5.