Guide for SBK1 Install of [Win32/64][Dual Boot] Tubuntu for x3Maniac Thread

Search This thread

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
This guide was written to provide more specific information for installation instructions than the OP below.

The Tubuntu installer application will not install the updated kernels for SBK1 devices and the manual procedure in post #2 will tell you what you need to do.

OP for Tubutnu by x3maniac

1. Download the newest “tubuntu v0.x.x” without Prime (system.img) or Ubuntu.img as it is written in the OP.
a. This download contains the application, boot.img file, and basic kernels available at the time of this guide needed for installation. There will be updates for kernels specific to an Ubuntu image as the developer is able to work on them. Check for new downloads and posts.
b. The download also contains drivers and installation for APX mode located using the “Other” tab in the application.
c. This download does NOT contain the Linux operating system nor the Android ROM.
2. Extract all the files in “tubuntu v0.x.x” to a Tubuntu folder wherever you wish. 7-Zip is the zip program of choice but any others should work fine.
3. Download Prime ROM [stock hc w/ root](system.img)
a. This download is the system.img that contains a root enabled Android ROM.
4. Extract the system.img file from this download.
a. Copy this file to the \images directory. The images directory is a sub folder of the TF-101 Ubuntu Installer application that you extracted in step 2.
5. Download the Ubuntu image of your choice.
a. Currently there are 2 Lubuntu downloads. Read the bullets and determine which one you want.
6. Extract the image file of this download and place it in the \images directory. Rename this file to ubuntu.img.
7. Open the TF-101 Ubuntu Installer application.
8. Connect your usb cable to the TF-101 and the computer.
a. Shut down the tablet.
9. Enter APX mode by holding the volume up button first, then hold the power button until you hear the usb sound from the computer.
a. Your screen will be black and the TF-101 Ubuntu Installer application will light up green and say APX Detected if you correctly entered APX mode.
10. Change the dropdown to SBK 1 located directly below the green APX Detected text.
11. Click on the Flash tab.
a. Select Android/Ubuntu and then hit Flash.
b. Android is the primary boot option here.
12. You will see an install log in the right of the application. Mine takes about 15 minutes or so but you will know you are finished when you see the Android ROM load as well as the red text APX NOT Detected (in case your screen is off when you come back).
13. Proceed with setting up Android. DO NOT reboot or power off before the initial Android set up is complete.
14. Once completed and you wish to enter Lubuntu, power off the TF-101 and hold down volume down first and then power. You will see your screen say hit volume up in 5 seconds for recovery. Hit volume up within 5 seconds and it should boot your Linux graphical desktop environment.

Last edited:

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
Instructions for installing new kernels for SBK1.

1. In your Tubuntu installation directories, locate transformer.bct and bootloader.bin.
a. Copy these 2 files to the \bins directory of the Tubuntu installation application.
2. Download the updated kernel from the OP.
a. Extract the .img file into the \bins directory of the installation application. You do not need to rename it because the command you enter in step 3 part b indicates the name of the kernel file.
3. Open a command prompt to the directory of \bins for the Tubuntu installer application.
a. Type this command and hit enter: wheelie -1 -o 0x300d8011 --bl bootloader.bin -c transformer.bct
b. Type this command and hit enter: nvflash -r --download 6 whatever_the_kernel_filename_is.img
c. The filename is the name of the kernel you extracted and copied into the \bins directory. This name can really be anything so long as the command you enter reflects that filename.
4. After the copy completes you will be back at the command prompt.
a. Type this command and hit enter: nvflash -r --go
5. Your tablet will reboot after the nvflash mode is exited and depending on your configuration it will boot to Android. Boot to Linux now.
6. Download the supplemental kernel file to the root of your filesystem That is the / directory.
a. Open terminal and type this and press enter: sudo wget http://novaspirit.com/tubuntu/kernel_sup.tar.gz /
b. Then type this command and press enter: sudo tar zxvf /kernel_sup.tar.gz
c. This supplemental is installing modules and drivers to the appropriate locations.
d. Reboot.
7. Please understand names of files especially the kernels and updates will change periodically. The commands and methods of extracting have not changed at this point so substitute the appropriate filename and you should be good to go.

Last edited:

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
For SBK1 devices, the installation of a custom Android ROM using recovery is very similar to updating the kernel instructions in the post above.

Instructions for installing custom ROM's for SBK1 with Lubuntu installed.

1. In your Tubuntu installation directories, locate transformer.bct and bootloader.bin.
a. Copy these 2 files to the \bins directory of the Tubuntu installation application.
3. Copy the file cwrrecovery.img to the \bins folder.
a. You should be able to substitute a newer recovery file than what comes with the Tubuntu installation application.​
2. Download the zip file of the custom Android ROM you wish to install.
a. Copy it to either your Internal SD card or External SD card. Depending on the recovery version you flash you may not be able to use your Internal SD card.
3. Open a command prompt to the directory of \bins for the Tubuntu installer application.
a. Type this command and hit enter: wheelie -1 -o 0x300d8011 --bl bootloader.bin -c transformer.bct
b. Type this command and hit enter: nvflash -r --download 5 cwrrecovery(orwhateverfilenameyourrecoveryis).img
c. The filename cwrrecovery.img is the name of the recovery that comes with the installer application. Please substitute appropriately if you are going to flash a different recovery application. You can also use TWRP just use the appropriate .img file name.
5. Your tablet will reboot after the nvflash mode is exited and depending on your configuration it will boot to Android.
a. Now you want to boot to the Android recovery. Do that by powering off the tablet and booting like normal into recovery mode. This should be volume down and power. Hit volume up when prompted to do so. Flash your ROM according to the ROM owner's instructions. I recommend to complete your ROM's installation set up before proceeding to step 6.
6. You must now flash your Tubuntu Linux kernel back or you will not be able to boot into Linux. Follow the instructions again from the \bins directory using the command prompt and putting your tablet back into APX mode which is volume up and the power button until the Tubutnu installation application shows green for APX Detected.
b. Type this command and hit enter: nvflash -r --download 5 whatever_the_kernel_filename_is.img
c. Type this command and hit enter: nvflash -r --go
7. You should now be back into your Android ROM again. From here simply power off and boot into recovery using volume down and power. Then hit volume up when it says to on the screen. If Linux boots without issue then you have successfully reinstalled your kernel.

Last edited:

sainthout

Apr 26, 2009
Rijswijk
I did exactly what's in the post. With Tubuntu 0.4.7, Prime ROM, Lubuntu V1.1-rc1 (12.10) and the *updated kernel 12/10/2012* (without supplements)

But after Android initial boot, I reboot but it doesn't finish booting Android. It stops here:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2zswdw3.jpg

Anything I can do to fix this? Android does boot properly, but Lubuntu doesn't :(
If anyone knows how to fix this with only Ubuntu (and without Android) then that is fine too..

This guide was written to provide more specific information for newcomers.

The Tubuntu installer application will not install the updated kernels for SBK1 devices and the manual procedure in post #2 will tell you what you need to do.

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
I did exactly what's in the post. With Tubuntu 0.4.7, Prime ROM, Lubuntu V1.1-rc1 (12.10) and the *updated kernel 12/10/2012* (without supplements)

But after Android initial boot, I reboot but it doesn't finish booting Android. It stops here:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2zswdw3.jpg

Anything I can do to fix this? Android does boot properly, but Lubuntu doesn't :(
If anyone knows how to fix this with only Ubuntu (and without Android) then that is fine too..

0.4.7 fixes the issue with sbk1 and you don't have to do it with these instructions anymore.

However I did try the newer kernel and got stuck at the same spot you did using my instructions just before the 0.4.7 was uploaded. Go to the original thread and post the issue there.

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
Outdated Thread But Valid Information

This thread is now outdated. X3Maniac has updated his Tubuntu installation application (0.4.7) to fix the issues with installing kernels and recoveries for SBK1 devices.

The information in this thread is still valid for behind the scenes and you can still use the wheelie and nvflash as standalone items if you wish to do something with your device outside the scope of the main thread.

Thanks for all the thanks from users!

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
Found a bug with 0.4.7. It's possible the tab may not reboot into Prime automatically with this version. When the dev has time it will get updated. If it doesn't reboot and the Tubuntu application says everything is done, manually hold power and let it reboot to Prime to finish installation.

question..

This guide was written to provide more specific information for newcomers.

1. Download the newest “tubuntu v0.x.x” without Prime (system.img) or Ubuntu.img as it is written in the OP.
a. This download contains the application, boot.img file, and basic kernels available at the time of this guide needed for installation. There will be updates for kernels specific to an Ubuntu image as the developer is able to work on them. Check for new downloads and posts.
b. The download also contains drivers and installation for APX mode located using the “Other” tab in the application.
c. This download does NOT contain the Linux operating system nor the Android ROM.
2. Extract all the files in “tubuntu v0.x.x” to a Tubuntu folder wherever you wish. 7-Zip is the zip program of choice but any others should work fine.
a. Copy this file to the \images directory. The images directory is a sub folder of the TF-101 Ubuntu Installer application that you extracted in step 2.
a. Currently there are 2 Lubuntu downloads. Read the bullets and determine which one you want.
6. Extract the image file of this download and place it in the \images directory. Rename this file to ubuntu.img.
a. Shut down the tablet.
9. Enter APX mode by holding the volume up button first, then hold the power button until you hear the usb sound from the computer.
a. Your screen will be black and the TF-101 Ubuntu Installer application will light up green and say APX Detected if you correctly entered APX mode.
10. Change the dropdown to SBK 1 located directly below the green APX Detected text.
12. You will see an install log in the right of the application. Mine takes about 15 minutes or so but you will know you are finished when you see the Android ROM load as well as the red text APX NOT Detected (in case your screen is off when you come back).
13. Proceed with setting up Android. DO NOT reboot or power off before the initial Android set up is complete.
14. Once completed and you wish to enter Lubuntu, power off the TF-101 and hold down volume down first and then power. You will see your screen say hit volume up in 5 seconds for recovery. Hit volume up within 5 seconds and it should boot your Linux graphical desktop environment.

i just succeeded dual booting into ubunto.the prime rom just booted...can i install eos jb rom and still dual boot to ubuntu? thanks in advanced

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
Yes you can. You will need an updated recovery .img file that supports jb. You temporarily flash the new recovery boot into it then install the new rom. See my post on installing updated android roms. Its the third one I think.

Reactions: redninja007

Treizy

Mar 31, 2011
Hi there,

First off, thanks for the tutorial and hard work!

I've been able to successfully install Lubuntu v1.2 and Lubuntu V1.1-rc1 but I've run into issues with both that I'm hoping you can help me with.

When I installed v1.2, my wireless adapter didn't work and I wasn't able to copy any files (kept saying I was out of space, probably a mounting issue).

When I installed v1.1-rc1, things seemed to work well (wireless worked) but when I tried to upgrade the kernel to 3.1 following the instructions, my mouse pad stopped working and so did my wireless adapter again. I saw that there is a way to fix the mouse pad but it seemed to require an internet connection. Any idea what I did wrong or how to fix the wireless on either v1.2 or on v1.1-rc1 with the 3.1 kernel?

Thanks!

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
You're welcome.

To solve the space issue, open terminal and execute this command: sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p8

The wireless adapter isn't working because the 3.1 kernel is not stable. Do Not Use It.

Get this from the OP:

Kernels

#470 Controlling your CPU for stability
Stable kernels (use with care for OC version)
[extreme]
2.6.36 - [cpu 1.6 ghz] [gpu 400mhz] - download
benchmarks - blowfish score 30
glxgear - 70 fps

Then get the supplement from the OP:

kernel supplement - 2.6.36.4-1210.zip

extract and copy the kernel suppliment to /lib/modules/

Reactions: Treizy

Treizy

Mar 31, 2011
You're welcome.

To solve the space issue, open terminal and execute this command: sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p8

The wireless adapter isn't working because the 3.1 kernel is not stable. Do Not Use It.

Get this from the OP:

Kernels

#470 Controlling your CPU for stability
Stable kernels (use with care for OC version)
[extreme]
2.6.36 - [cpu 1.6 ghz] [gpu 400mhz] - download
benchmarks - blowfish score 30
glxgear - 70 fps

Then get the supplement from the OP:

kernel supplement - 2.6.36.4-1210.zip

extract and copy the kernel suppliment to /lib/modules/

Awesome, works like a charm. Thanks again!

Reactions: TomTcom

Treizy

Mar 31, 2011
Not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this, but every now and again whenever i click anywhere it thinks I'm trying to move a file (shows the little file icon when I move the mouse). Is this a known bug or just something in my settings I need to change?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

I also just found that my sound stopped working. It was working before when I used the instructions from the original post (using alsamixer) but I guess somewhere along the way of me messing around I broke it. Here is the error output when I try to play an mp3 in mplayer:

Code:
==========================================================================
Requested audio codec family [mpg123] (afm=mpg123) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, floatle, 128.0 kbit/4.54% (ratio: 16000->352800)
Selected audio codec: [ffmp3float] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG layer-3 audio)
Assertion 'pthread_mutex_unlock(&m->mutex) == 0' failed at pulsecore/mutex-posix.c:108, function pa_mutex_unlock(). Aborting.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 6 in module: ao2_init

I've tried searching for a solution but still no luck. I've also tried other players and they don't work either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
Not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this, but every now and again whenever i click anywhere it thinks I'm trying to move a file (shows the little file icon when I move the mouse). Is this a known bug or just something in my settings I need to change?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

I also just found that my sound stopped working. It was working before when I used the instructions from the original post (using alsamixer) but I guess somewhere along the way of me messing around I broke it. Here is the error output when I try to play an mp3 in mplayer:

Code:
Requested audio codec family [mpg123] (afm=mpg123) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, floatle, 128.0 kbit/4.54% (ratio: 16000->352800)
Selected audio codec: [ffmp3float] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG layer-3 audio)
Assertion 'pthread_mutex_unlock(&m->mutex) == 0' failed at pulsecore/mutex-posix.c:108, function pa_mutex_unlock(). Aborting.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 6 in module: ao2_init

I've tried searching for a solution but still no luck. I've also tried other players and they don't work either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

See KingZaks post for sound settings. It's in the op and his signature.

The clicking shouldn't do that every time. Did you extract the supplemental zip and are you using the 1.2-1.6ghz kernels?

Treizy

Mar 31, 2011
Hmm, I'm thinking of installing fresh to see if things get fixed. Is there a way to do that without touching the Android partition? I don't want to have to reflash EOS and what not. Do I just not include the Prime img in the images folder?

Thanks!

Jun 12, 2011
A Terribly Confused Noob!

Hello:

I am terribly confused and I hope that someone can help me to understand a few things! I am sorry if I don't understand all the links but they seem to go round and round. Right no I have no less that 25 tabs open trying to figure out the first step.

So, to my first question (probably the first of many): This guide was written to help "newcomers", of which I am definitely one. But, right under that statement comes the statement "The Tubuntu installer application will not install the updated kernels for SBK1 devices and the manual procedure in post #2 will tell you what you need to do." Does that mean I'm actually supposed to start at Post #2? But Post #2 assumes I already have "Tubuntu installation directories", which I don't have so I can't locate the two files.

I am attempting to be a user of Ubuntu on my Transformer, not a developer - I take my hat off to all of you that have put your Transformers in harm's way developing the techniques and software that I want to use, but the instructions are terribly confusing for someone not familiar with all of the terms!

Any help would be most appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Sparky

TomTcom

Mar 27, 2011
Hello:

I am terribly confused and I hope that someone can help me to understand a few things! I am sorry if I don't understand all the links but they seem to go round and round. Right no I have no less that 25 tabs open trying to figure out the first step.

So, to my first question (probably the first of many): This guide was written to help "newcomers", of which I am definitely one. But, right under that statement comes the statement "The Tubuntu installer application will not install the updated kernels for SBK1 devices and the manual procedure in post #2 will tell you what you need to do." Does that mean I'm actually supposed to start at Post #2? But Post #2 assumes I already have "Tubuntu installation directories", which I don't have so I can't locate the two files.

I am attempting to be a user of Ubuntu on my Transformer, not a developer - I take my hat off to all of you that have put your Transformers in harm's way developing the techniques and software that I want to use, but the instructions are terribly confusing for someone not familiar with all of the terms!

Any help would be most appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Sparky

Hey Sparky, there's no more active development on this just so you are aware. That means you can make your own images for newer Linux builds if you wish but things such as hardware acceleration and kernels will not be updated.

In step 1 of my guide you are going to the OP link by the dev who made the Windows based Tubuntu application.

Go to where you see these links:

tubuntu v0.4.7 [1mb] Executable ONLY - download v0.4.2b and replace the tubuntu.exe with this one
download v0.4.7 (jan, 3 2013)

tubuntu v0.4.6beta [1mb] Executable ONLY - download v0.4.2b and replace the tubuntu.exe with this one
download v0.4.6b (dec, 10 2012)

tubuntu v0.4.2beta [78mb] without Prime(system.img) or ubuntu.img
download v0.4.2b (dec, 7 2012)

tubuntu v0.3alpha [57mb] without Prime(system.img) or ubuntu.img
download v0.3a

Prime ROM[stock hc w/ root](system.img)
download

Download tubuntu v0.4.2beta (78mb).
Download tubuntu v0.4.7 (1mb).

Extract the files to whatever location on your Windows machine.
The 1mb file is a replacement of tubuntu.exe file. So just copy/paste and overwrite that file on your Windows machine.

Do you know how to put your tablet in APX mode? If not, you open tubuntu.exe (you might need .net 4.0 Microsoft framework to run the tubuntu.exe). With the tablet off and usb connected to your windows machine, hold volume up and power. The application tubuntu.exe should have a green indicator that it's connected. Change the dropdown to sbk1.

From there you can choose how you want to flash, such as android as the default boot and linux as the secondary boot.

Reactions: TheArtfulDodger

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide was written to provide more specific information for installation instructions than the OP below.

OP for Tubutnu by x3maniac

a. Shut down the tablet.
    Instructions for installing new kernels for SBK1.

2. Download the updated kernel from the OP.
    a. Extract the .img file into the \bins directory of the installation application. You do not need to rename it because the command you enter in step 3 part b indicates the name of the kernel file.
    b. Type this command and hit enter: nvflash -r --download 6 whatever_the_kernel_filename_is.img
    c. The filename is the name of the kernel you extracted and copied into the \bins directory. This name can really be anything so long as the command you enter reflects that filename.
    5. Your tablet will reboot after the nvflash mode is exited and depending on your configuration it will boot to Android. Boot to Linux now.
    6. Download the supplemental kernel file to the root of your filesystem That is the / directory.
    a. Open terminal and type this and press enter: sudo wget http://novaspirit.com/tubuntu/kernel_sup.tar.gz /
    b. Then type this command and press enter: sudo tar zxvf /kernel_sup.tar.gz
    c. This supplemental is installing modules and drivers to the appropriate locations.
    d. Reboot.
    7. Please understand names of files especially the kernels and updates will change periodically. The commands and methods of extracting have not changed at this point so substitute the appropriate filename and you should be good to go.
    For SBK1 devices, the installation of a custom Android ROM using recovery is very similar to updating the kernel instructions in the post above.

Instructions for installing custom ROM's for SBK1 with Lubuntu installed.

3. Copy the file cwrrecovery.img to the \bins folder.
    a. You should be able to substitute a newer recovery file than what comes with the Tubuntu installation application.​
    2. Download the zip file of the custom Android ROM you wish to install.
    a. Copy it to either your Internal SD card or External SD card. Depending on the recovery version you flash you may not be able to use your Internal SD card.
    b. Type this command and hit enter: nvflash -r --download 5 cwrrecovery(orwhateverfilenameyourrecoveryis).img
    c. The filename cwrrecovery.img is the name of the recovery that comes with the installer application. Please substitute appropriately if you are going to flash a different recovery application. You can also use TWRP just use the appropriate .img file name.
    5. Your tablet will reboot after the nvflash mode is exited and depending on your configuration it will boot to Android.
    a. Now you want to boot to the Android recovery. Do that by powering off the tablet and booting like normal into recovery mode. This should be volume down and power. Hit volume up when prompted to do so. Flash your ROM according to the ROM owner's instructions. I recommend to complete your ROM's installation set up before proceeding to step 6.
    6. You must now flash your Tubuntu Linux kernel back or you will not be able to boot into Linux. Follow the instructions again from the \bins directory using the command prompt and putting your tablet back into APX mode which is volume up and the power button until the Tubutnu installation application shows green for APX Detected.
    b. Type this command and hit enter: nvflash -r --download 5 whatever_the_kernel_filename_is.img
    c. Type this command and hit enter: nvflash -r --go
    7. You should now be back into your Android ROM again. From here simply power off and boot into recovery using volume down and power. Then hit volume up when it says to on the screen. If Linux boots without issue then you have successfully reinstalled your kernel.
    Yes you can. You will need an updated recovery .img file that supports jb. You temporarily flash the new recovery boot into it then install the new rom. See my post on installing updated android roms. Its the third one I think.
    oh sorry for the silly question,,i got it now :) thanks a lot.. nice job :)