not receiving text messages?

Search This thread

theblorg

Jun 17, 2010
hopefully this is the right section....

Hey xda, ive been have trouble with my rooted froyo eris. im not receiving text messages at all from anyone, even when i know they just texted me. i know this problem isnt related to the rom or froyo itself, as ive tried both tazz's rom and kaos's. plus i havent had this problem on froyo before. any ideas?

synesthete

Mar 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Google Nexus 5
LG Nexus 5X
You probably do not have the correct APN files anymore. These let your phone know which towers to connect to. You may have used a ROM that was based on a ROM from another carrier (like Sprint). Try this:

1. Boot into recovery and make a nandroid backup.

2. Download a ROM with the correct APN files, like Plain Jane (basically a stock ROM with root). One version of Plain Jane can be found here:

hxxp://ip208-100-42-21.static.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=718092/ ( I don't think I can post links yet so change hxxp to http)

3. Do a full data wipe in recovery and then install the Plain Jane ROM.

4. Reboot into the new ROM.

5. Make sure 3G and Sync is on and you should get all your missed text messages, once everything is finished syncing.

6. On the market, grab the app "APN Backup & Restore".

7. Run APN Backup & Restore and bachup your APNs. The app will create a folder on you SD card with the APN files. Hold on to those files and if you wipe your SD, make sure you back them up somewhere.

8. Then you can restore to your nandroid backup or load any other ROM. The just run "APN Backup & Restore" and restore you APNs.

I hope this helps you.

dreed75

Mar 4, 2010
Instead of going through the trouble of nand backup, flashing a generic ROM, etc., just stay with your current ROM, download APN Backup and Restore from the market and paste the following XML into a text editor like notepad, name the file original-apns.xml and put it in /sdcard/ApnBackupRestore/. Run APN Backup and Restore from the phone and restore the apn from there.

Below is the code for Verizon Droid Eris (won't work for Hero).

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<apns count="3">
  <apn name="CDMA" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="0" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" mmsprotocol="" mmsc="" type="*" />
  <apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms" type="mms" />
  <apn name="Android" numeric="310995" mcc="310" mnc="995" apn="internet" user="*" server="*" password="*" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="null" type="null" />
</apns>

geske001

May 16, 2010
Instead of going through the trouble of nand backup, flashing a generic ROM, etc., just stay with your current ROM, download APN Backup and Restore from the market and paste the following XML into a text editor like notepad, name the file original-apns.xml and put it in /sdcard/ApnBackupRestore/. Run APN Backup and Restore from the phone and restore the apn from there.

Below is the code for Verizon Droid Eris (won't work for Hero).

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<apns count="3">
  <apn name="CDMA" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="0" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" mmsprotocol="" mmsc="" type="*" />
  <apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms" type="mms" />
  <apn name="Android" numeric="310995" mcc="310" mnc="995" apn="internet" user="*" server="*" password="*" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="null" type="null" />
</apns>

This DID NOT work for me!! Thank you anyway!!!

geske001

May 16, 2010
You probably do not have the correct APN files anymore. These let your phone know which towers to connect to. You may have used a ROM that was based on a ROM from another carrier (like Sprint). Try this:

2. Download a ROM with the correct APN files, like Plain Jane (basically a stock ROM with root). One version of Plain Jane can be found here:

hxxp://ip208-100-42-21.static.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=718092/ ( I don't think I can post links yet so change hxxp to http)

5. Make sure 3G and Sync is on and you should get all your missed text messages, once everything is finished syncing.

7. Run APN Backup & Restore and bachup your APNs. The app will create a folder on you SD card with the APN files. Hold on to those files and if you wipe your SD, make sure you back them up somewhere.

8. Then you can restore to your nandroid backup or load any other ROM. The just run "APN Backup & Restore" and restore you APNs.

I hope this helps you.

So far, doing these steps, i HAVE received text messages. Taking a few attempts to get logged into gmail though...getting irritating, but when I do I am anxiously waiting to receive my text messages under FroShedYo's ROM!!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Reactions: Nailzaz

geske001

May 16, 2010
YES!!! IT WORKED!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! Stupid Verizon guy "level 2 tech" said the phone was trash. I will stick to my xda friends next time instead!!!

icon10.gif

Nailzaz

Dec 27, 2010
I can't thank you enough! I spent so much time on this. This was the ONLY helpful post I could find. THANK YOU!

roosh

Mar 8, 2011
Same Issue corrected

I had the same exact problem with not receiving text messages my Eris and I followed these steps and now it's fixed! :D

D

Deleted member 1117743

oh thank god.. it worked!!!!! finally getting txts back!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I hope this helps you.

I hope this helps you.

So far, doing these steps, i HAVE received text messages. Taking a few attempts to get logged into gmail though...getting irritating, but when I do I am anxiously waiting to receive my text messages under FroShedYo's ROM!!

THANK YOU!!!!!