XDA Rules Etiquette & Respect

Search This thread

Phalanx7621

Jul 17, 2011
Delaware
OnePlus 8 Pro
Google Pixel 5a
Howdy all! If you've seen me around you'll know I love being an active member of these forums. With my job I have free time some days (some days NONE lol) and helping people makes me happy. I hate causing problems. But there has been a rash of interesting posts within the last 6 months (maybe going back farther but there has been an increase in the past 6 months that I've noticed) of people beginning their posts with:

" sorry for the noob question, but..."
Also, some start with, " sorry I did a search but I'm pressed for time and...."
OK. Look. When I joined up, I had to watch a video. It showed me how much of a noob I am, and told me to search, then search some more, and finally, SEARCH. Again. Now, maybe I'm crazy, but that is still XDA policy. Just because yer new, it doesn't give u an excuse to be lazy. Just because yer in a hurry , it doesn't give u the right to ignore the rules u agreed to when u signed up here.

I was a noob too. A year ago. Guess what? From day one I searched. And searched. And searched again. Why? Cause I love solving as many problems as I can ON MY OWN. Lets try and get back to that. Google search is a great tool. Yes the mobile app search is limited. But u have a browser on your phone. U can go to the actual site and search there as well. Remember, we're a community. And these rules are put in place to help us and maintain some semblence of order.

Remember folks when u search first, and don't post a new thread for something easily found, it not only looks better for u. But it reflects the respect u have for this community and its mods/devs.
Good luck all, happy flashing.

P.S. Red, if have to close this thread, just know this meets my quota for rants for the month. :p

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Last edited:

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
I personally have NO issue reading "noobie" questions. Everyone is different and I don't expect they must act like me. For you, me and others who spot a so-called "noob question", if you don't want to help then report the thread/post to mod so they can take care of. Yelling at newbies just makes the matter worse and that have been proved for ......... like you said, the past 6 months.
What irritates me more is SAME person asking the SAME question by creating multiple threads.
Therefore, for us, seniors, if you're not willing to help then just simply walk away from the thread, don't post, don't act like you are the mod.
One other issue, don't be an ass-kisser here.
For newbie, pls read the sticky thread FIRST.

Reactions: jasvncnt1

Gutterball

Dec 24, 2010
New Jersey
This is 100% correct but you are missing one other important word to go with your "rules, etiquette and respect" slogan and that word is "Attention"

People need to pay attention! So if you could just change the title of the thread to "Rules, Etiquette, Attention, and Respect" or R.E.A.R. for short? Then I think that will cover it. So next time someone asks a question in the wrong thread? I can just point them right to your R.E.A.R. :D

Twisted Z

Sep 22, 2011
Seattle Area
Most of us are coming to under stand that there is no help what so ever for what the old gaurd calls common qustions so we just go else where ;)

I spent 18 hours sunday working on my phone and I am happy with the results.

The biggest problem is even the fairly detailed instructions leave out the tiniest simple things people do not think of because they just figure everyone on earth should know it.

take for example if you are trying to get your phone ready and going right now the easiest way is to use the directions and flash to a older SU rom then up grade it from there. I searched for hours and could not find an answer to a simple question on why Odin would not upload the files I was trying to load so I had CWM.

In the end the answer, which I figured out my self, was that Odin will not load the .zip files everyone uses for CWM. I accedently tripped over a kernel that was in a different format,.tar, and got lucky.

After that I soft bricked the phone a few times following directions and then ran across the Little bricker Rom that had GREAT directions and loaded first time perfectly.

So for you old timers I might say step back every once in a while when you are writing the great write ups you do and think of the first time you did it. It is the little things that count and are left out most of the time ;)

As Android grows you are going to have to deal with it more and more and you just can't keep kicking people in the teeth or they will not return. GOOD you say? No not good. Not everyone wants an Apple and you do not want to wind up like Nokia or the old PDA platforms that are dead and gone.

So take this how you may. I did get where I needed to go but a simple 20 minute gig took 18 hours to figure out because of the little things all of you take for granted and do not always include.

Thank you for the site

Last edited:

RatusNatus

May 24, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
All said here is true but as a noob i must say that there is a lack of usual information here.
A BIG lack...

The problem is visual.

The stickies was made by a dev. Just find a good NOOB to do it and youll be fine.
The first stickie must be how to flash a rom. But this one is not there. It is inside of another stickie at the line 157... cmon

The noob that decides to flash wont read all the stuff. He'll just read the info that he wants.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA

Last edited:

wonner

Dec 19, 2010
Hayward, CA
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
All said here is true but as a noob i must say that there is a lack of usual information here.
A BIG lack...

I don't think there is a lack of information, far from it. I think the problem is that the information is scattered. For example, the guy 2 posts up that tried to use a .zip in Odin...the information that you need to use a .tar is posted in these forums, it's just not in an easily accessible place like the FAQs. I think it's a combination of: lack of organization on the forum's side and laziness on the user's side.

RatusNatus

May 24, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Sorry about my english, there is a communication lack.
you are right, the info was there but people just dont get it...why is that?

Ive edited my previous post...

There is too much info. The noob needs the basic. Step by step he will learn.

Inside the Red stickie, look at the title of the topics listed there.
That is chinese to a noob.
How to flash custom binaries... what a hell is a binarie?
How to flash... the counter?
What... counter?

That is not made for noobies...as i said before, find a noob to do it.

Last edited:

mmtrago

Nov 3, 2011
Howdy all! If you've seen me around you'll know I love being an active member of these forums. With my job I have free time some days (some days NONE lol) and helping people makes me happy. I hate causing problems. But there has been a rash of interesting posts within the last 6 months (maybe going back farther but there has been an increase in the past 6 months that I've noticed) of people beginning their posts with:

OK. Look. When I joined up, I had to watch a video. It showed me how much of a noob I am, and told me to search, then search some more, and finally, SEARCH. Again. Now, maybe I'm crazy, but that is still XDA policy. Just because yer new, it doesn't give u an excuse to be lazy. Just because yer in a hurry , it doesn't give u the right to ignore the rules u agreed to when u signed up here.

I was a noob too. A year ago. Guess what? From day one I searched. And searched. And searched again. Why? Cause I love solving as many problems as I can ON MY OWN. Lets try and get back to that. Google search is a great tool. Yes the mobile app search is limited. But u have a browser on your phone. U can go to the actual site and search there as well. Remember, we're a community. And these rules are put in place to help us and maintain some semblence of order.

Remember folks when u search first, and don't post a new thread for something easily found, it not only looks better for u. But it reflects the respect u have for this community and its mods/devs.

P.S. Red, if have to close this thread, just know this meets my quota for rants for the month. :p

you're not even a mod...what gives you the right to post this?

Miami_Son

Feb 4, 2009
Hurricane Country
I think some of you have forgotten how this place originally came about and its primary purpose. It was and still is, mostly, a place for developers and development. It was never supposed to be a help desk. That it is a great resource for people needing help is a secondary byproduct, not its raison de'tre. I think this misunderstanding is what leads to incorrect assumptions and expectations and, in turn, hurt feelings when the forum doesn't meet what some think it should be.

dandrumheller

Jul 10, 2010
Southern Maine / Seacoast NH
Sorry about my english, there is a communication lack.
you are right, the info was there but people just dont get it...why is that?

Ive edited my previous post...

There is too much info. The noob needs the basic. Step by step he will learn.

Inside the Red stickie, look at the title of the topics listed there.
That is chinese to a noob.
How to flash custom binaries... what a hell is a binarie?
How to flash... the counter?
What... counter?

That is not made for noobies...as i said before, find a noob to do it.

I respectfully disagree. The noob does not need a step by step guide. The noob needs to read, research, and learn so that he (or she) can make sense of the available information. a quick guide so the noob "can haz ROM nao" is only going to lead to a disappointed, knowledge lacking noob later on down the line...

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

RatusNatus

May 24, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Yes Miami but this place become a lot bigger than any dev could think.
Is this bad?
Devs cant complaim about it.
This is the price if sucess.

Just get over it...

Ps. I think he post it cuz he want...

Miami_Son

Feb 4, 2009
Hurricane Country
And you need to remember that the developers in here, for the most part, don't get paid for what they do. We get all their great stuff for free. Actually, we get it for the cost of doing our own research and finding our own solutions. Seems like a fair trade to me.

And as dandrum noted, helping noobs by leading them by the hand is a bad idea. People need to understand fully what they are doing and what it does because otherwise when they inevitably run into a problem they will have no idea what to do to fix it or where to start to even look. This stuff isn't rocket science, but it does require a certain level of comprehension. it is unfair to expect the unpaid members of this forum to bail people out when something goes wrong because they either didn't do their homework or have no understanding of what they're doing.

Nick281051

May 5, 2010
Northport, NY
Yes Miami but this place become a lot bigger than any dev could think.
Is this bad?
Devs cant complaim about it.
This is the price if sucess.

Just get over it...

Ps. I think he post it cuz he want...

No they absolutely can complain because this is still a developer Site no matter how popular it becomes.

you're not even a mod...what gives you the right to post this?

What gives you the right to post? You're not a mod either. Also, basically everything he said was correct.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

androidobsessed

May 24, 2011
OnePlus 6
From my perspective I feel as though the vast majority of the time I have virtually no reason to post.
This is usually because of one of the following:
a- someone else has asked a question that I do not have the answer to, not that I'm a n00b but do not know or I would rather leave it up to the real devs to deal with it;
b- I would just be either flaming someone for asking a stupid question or leave a stupid question unanswered because some things should just be figured out by yourself; or most importantly
c- if i have a question or some other issue I can search for it or spend time reading through many posts because there are enough people and knowledgeable people around here that at this point my question or any sort of problem has already been answered, or at least the question has already been asked so there is no reason to spam the same questions over and over.
so just always remember before you make a possibly redundant post there are plenty of us sitting back and reading because usually that is all you need to do

Reactions: Phalanx7621

mmtrago

Nov 3, 2011
What gives you the right to post? You're not a mod either. Also, basically everything he said was correct.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5[/QUOTE]

good one..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Such an interesting discussion...

I've been a developer since 1993. In that time, it never fails to surprise me how much non developers think they know about writing software. I'll spare you the war stories and get to the point - as mentioned before this forum is run by developers for anyone who wants to come and play.

1. If you don't like the instructions, do what the devs do. Create additional / clarifying / better ones. Submit it to the original dev so the OP can get updated with your gem. If that's beyond your skill it's ok, but it does disqualify you from whining about it. if you're not willing to improve it, why would you expect someone else to... For free?

2. If you notice a bug and your exhaustive search has not revealed something, DO share it. But first have an understanding how to create a useful bug report. Believe it or not, we LOVE a very informative bug report. Do not criticize. Devs hate bugs as much anyone else but they'll let you rot with that **** to spite you and your bad attitude. I know I have, and would again.

3. Nubs get razzed. That's how it works. The alpha males here are the dudes making the roms. Deal with it. You don't have to come here, you could just rock out on the appleinsider.com forums and dream of the next iOS update. But you don't . You come here eagerly anticipating the next juicy tidbit from these guys.

4. If you don't like the quality of the ROM/kernel, you can always demand your money back.

5. Entitlement is your enemy, especially in the hacker/open source community. I'm not saying kiss ass, but show respect. Heeding the very clear rules of XDA is an excellent start on the respect route.

6. To the people who think shutting down this forum is a good idea... Seriously? The very fact you are here posting/agreeing is ironic at best. Nobody's forcing you to stay... Or is there some Chinese XDA internment camp we don't know about....

7. Lastly, devs are humans. Sometimes just like anyone else they are dicks. That's not a failing of XDA, devs, android or the stupid battery you just purchased - it's between you and the dev and you definitely should remove his **** off your phone if you don't like him. But don't keep coming back with demands and criticism. That makes you look like the biggest nub of all.
    I think some of you have forgotten how this place originally came about and its primary purpose. It was and still is, mostly, a place for developers and development. It was never supposed to be a help desk. That it is a great resource for people needing help is a secondary byproduct, not its raison de'tre. I think this misunderstanding is what leads to incorrect assumptions and expectations and, in turn, hurt feelings when the forum doesn't meet what some think it should be.
    I came to android due to a friend of mine, and admittedly I got to watch him root a few phones first hand before I bought my i777. That being said, he had an epic 4g touch, and I still had a lot to learn when I first plugged that usb into my laptop. I was a little annoyed at the introductory video for xda's assumptions at my stupidity, but the more I've read of other peoples' follies, and cries for help over trivial common knowledge, has led me to believe in its point all the more. I'm not a particularly ill tempered person, doubt I'll ever flame someone personally, but I came fresh, I double checked procedure on anything I ever tried for a first time on my phone, and I've never once posted a thread, or question as to how to repair a soft brick I've caused. It really is all here. Advice I might have to noobs, which I still consider myself, is perhaps not to shoot for all general knowledge off the bat. Instead, find a rom/kernel/mod/whatever that you want, THEN read. You've already found it, obviously, now read the whole Damn thread. Mic-swap vs nomswap, known issues such as back in early ics, it's honestly all repeated in each and every pertinent thread. That said, mean spiritedness isn't a good thing, ever. But I've seen very little, if any honest spite for the sake of spite around here. So take it with a grain of salt, refine your search of knowledge, and I can tell you from personal experience, you'll find what you need very easily.

Ratus, you sound like you think you are owed something by this forum. It is this sense of entitlement that pisses many people off. The forum doesn't give a rat's ass how many hours you work or whether you "have a life." You're no more worthy of skipping the established protocols than anyone else in here. Again, this is NOT the help desk. It is a self-service repository of information. You are welcome to come in, learn all you can and ocassionally ask for help, but you do it on the forum's terms, not your own. Once again, no one is paid to be here, so you are depending on the kindness of others for whatever you get from this forum. Users need to be respectful and grateful, not demanding and entitled with expctations they are owed something. No one is owed anything in here.