[Q] Nexus 4 slow file transfer[Windows][Stock ROM]

Search This thread

justFaisal

Apr 18, 2011
Has anyone tried using MTP transfer?
I'm trying to copy some files from the phone to the computer but it seems impossible through MTP.

What other methods you can use to transfer files?
I had to use adb pull command to pull all my data before i unlock the bootloader. I'm assuming that custom ROMs will let you connect the phone as an external storage device but what about people who don't/can't install custom rom? Do they have to live with those slow MTP speeds while transferring something to the phone?

Last edited:

s10shane

Jul 30, 2010
Victorville, Ca
I'm trying to copy some files from the phone to the computer but it seems impossible through MTP.

I had to use adb pull command to pull all my data before i unlock the bootloader. I'm assuming that custom ROMs will let you connect the phone as an external storage device but what about people who don't/can't install custom rom? Do they have to live with those slow MTP speeds while transferring something to the phone?

i had that issue with a GS3 and someone told me to try a different usb port on my computer. so i did and everything transferred much faster like it should.

Reactions: justFaisal

justFaisal

Apr 18, 2011
i had that issue with a GS3 and someone told me to try a different usb port on my computer. so i did and everything transferred much faster like it should.

I tried everything and the only way i could get adequate speed was from adb.
I'm wondering why google didn't include external storage as an option to connect (in 4.2.2, i assume it's a software feature) like there is in some other phones that does not have sd card slot.

rr5678

Dec 25, 2009
I don't think anything can fix MTP. It's so slow, that I have to use adb to transfer Clockworkmod backups.

I hate MTP so much.

The reason there's no mass storage option is because the geniuses at either LG or Google decided it was a good idea to make external storage a folder in /data/ rather than have a dedicated /sdcard/ partition.

Last edited:
Reactions: justFaisal

xs400

Jan 29, 2011
Slow transfers with MTP on Nexus 4

** Note: You need a OTG cable with a power connector & ROOT

Nexus 4 - Stock ROM 4.3 ROOTED.
OTG cable with power connector
USB patch
StickMount app

An earlier version of Directory Opus (sorry, the trial expired and I did not note the exact version) seemed to do a good job of transferring files from the Nexus to the PC (Win 7), but when I tried it on another computer and it no longer worked (transfer stopped before it actually completed).

I tried the following and it worked for me:

Check these links:
http://www.androidcentral.com/android-advanced-usb-otg-nexus-4
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/orig-development/usb-otg-externally-powered-usb-otg-t2181820

Use the patch that is suitable for your rom.

install StickMount, connect the usb otg cable to portable drive (in my case a seagate 320 GB Freeagent), the power, and then the phone.
The drive is mounted under /sdcard/usbstorage/sd1

You may need the ntfs-3g file from Chainfire's site.
Transfers were at 7 to 8 MBps from the Nexus to the portable drive [NO PC/Windows involved]. This is better than MTP and DirectoryOpus [when it worked] which was at around 4MBps.

The other option is to use SuperBeam app.
DirectoryOpus might work, but you probably need the right combination of MTP drivers, DirectoryOpus version and Windows version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I don't think anything can fix MTP. It's so slow, that I have to use adb to transfer Clockworkmod backups.

I hate MTP so much.

The reason there's no mass storage option is because the geniuses at either LG or Google decided it was a good idea to make external storage a folder in /data/ rather than have a dedicated /sdcard/ partition.