[Q] Shield and rooting questions

Search This thread

Duckers McQuack

Nov 8, 2010
1: If i root my shield, can it stil do OTA updates and only need a reroot after each update?

2: if 1 doesnt work, is there then a way to unroot it completly to do the OTA update?

hexitnow

Jun 19, 2013
Idaho
1: If i root my shield, can it stil do OTA updates and only need a reroot after each update?

2: if 1 doesnt work, is there then a way to unroot it completly to do the OTA update?

You might have to uninstall custom recovery and put stock back on but cwm has been able to handle stock updates in the past just haven't tried it on the shield. You'll have to reroot. Supersu has an option for a full unroot as well.

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.

Duckers McQuack

Nov 8, 2010
You might have to uninstall custom recovery and put stock back on but cwm has been able to handle stock updates in the past just haven't tried it on the shield. You'll have to reroot. Supersu has an option for a full unroot as well.

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.

1: No idea what cwm means
2: The unroot with supersu didnt work at all on my galaxy s4. so im unsure if it will work on the shield.

hexitnow

Jun 19, 2013
Idaho
1: No idea what cwm means
2: The unroot with supersu didnt work at all on my galaxy s4. so im unsure if it will work on the shield.

Something must have happened because the unroot option worked fine on my Verizon s4. Cwm is clockwork mod recovery. Unroot option does work on shield or at least it has on both of mine.

psycho1200

Jun 20, 2012
Ecatepec

1.- In my experience CWM does not install my otas so i was getting always errors, but you dont need CWM on your device because there aren't roms and they aren't flasheable files on android development so in my opinion you don't needed (I dont needed)

2.- I had to return to 100% out of the box to get again all the otas installed just because of the error i told you on number 1 so i suggest you not to use a custom recovery if you want to install some mods or some addons to android just use xposed framework

hexitnow

Jun 19, 2013
Idaho
1.- In my experience CWM does not install my otas so i was getting always errors, but you dont need CWM on your device because there aren't roms and they aren't flasheable files on android development so in my opinion you don't needed (I dont needed)

2.- I had to return to 100% out of the box to get again all the otas installed just because of the error i told you on number 1 so i suggest you not to use a custom recovery if you want to install some mods or some addons to android just use xposed framework

I have a feeling there will be a need for cwm soon :p

xda-napp3

Mar 24, 2011
Iv used triangle away. U install it after root and then u can ota update again. Working on samsung galaxy anyhow

Sent from my GT-N8000 using xda app-developers app