[Q] Phone said I had a virus while on this site?

Search This thread

jammC

Feb 26, 2014
I got a brand new HTC One a day ago, was on this site and I got a popup saying something along the lines of
"Your android has a virus press ok to delete it" with the options of Cancel and Ok.

I did press Cancel cause I thought it was a fake popup, but I do have Lookout installed and the lookout site scanners says that I've visited 22 sites, and 21 were safe so there was 1 site that I visited that was unsafe I guess, but is there anyway for me to see the sites scanned on Lookout?

I do not believe the 'virus' came from xda developers, or maybe I don't have one at all but I am paranoid about these type of things.

I did do a Lookout scan and it said everything was fine..

Will a factory reset do the trick incase I do have a virus? Or will I need to reformat?

Thanks.

jammC

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think it's a virus nowadays most of the websites push a popup saying that you have a virus so plz start the scan if you click on it???
You will be redirected to their website saying that you have to download the app.....!

So don't worry enjoy your browsing:D

Sent from my GT-S5360 Using tapatalk 2

PreSS ThanKs If i HelPeD YoU ?!?

I just got the same popup while visiting this site on another android phone. I'm pretty sure the problem is coming from one of the ad providers on this site.

will post a pic if anyone is interested

Dec 3, 2013
No no no no

That's a fake virus alert. It's a piece of javascript that sends the text to the browser, so the message looks like it's coming from the system. You can use an actual computer and get the same pup-up, and it will look very real because it's coming up in an actual browser message instead of an advertisement or pop-up or something similar. It's a small piece of javascript, click cancel every time, and try not to visit sites like that mmkay?

Edit: after reading jammC's post about an "ad-provider" causing the message that's very possible. There could be a piece of javascript embedded into one of the advertisements. It's not uncommon.

Last edited:

TheUnknownThing

Dec 2, 2013
Its simple! These "fakes" tell you there is a virus (when there isn't) and install their own software, which are actually spies. So becareful when browsing.. After all, you are on the internet :)

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't think it's a virus nowadays most of the websites push a popup saying that you have a virus so plz start the scan if you click on it???
    You will be redirected to their website saying that you have to download the app.....!

So don't worry enjoy your browsing:D

Sent from my GT-S5360 Using tapatalk 2

PreSS ThanKs If i HelPeD YoU ?!?