Root after OTA 98.72.165

Search This thread

jskandhari

Nov 1, 2012
Chandigarh
Okay so Yesterday evening am prompted by OTA Update and foolishly I clicked on Update.
Code:
Version:98.72.165.XT912
Meanwhile I was trying for Ubuntu Dual Install thus Safestrap was being installed simultaneously. Long stroy short after update I lost my ROOT and all applications
i.e. Busy Box, Boot Linux, Terminal ES File Explorer while showed rooted were not having access.
Spent the whole night figuring how to accomplish as everytime I tried the Exploit I use to get the following error

Code:
[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exists

Thus, meanwhile I came across this Post which took me good 2 hours to decipher as per logic, plus few others and this is how I achieved a ROOT on my XT912 again without downgrading (and without having to have Voodooo Temp un-root and stuff)

Code:
1) Unmount the Ext-Sdcard I basically removed it

2) Make sure your Debugging option is enabled, USB Mode change it to MTP or Camera Just don't keep Mass Storage.

3) Settings> Apps > All > SmartActions
Clear Cache

Once Above steps are done
Proceed towards the exploit, plug you Mobile, execute the Exploit
As soon as you see "[*] Rebooting device..." for the first time, and screen turns off, immediately press Vol Down + Vol up & Power Button

In it select the last option BP Only

Rest follow the process of Exploit as they come on screen.
(I personally waited 30secs after Selecting Save on Battery Saver option).

All due thanks to orignal coders who invented the exploit, took it further, XDA & Droidrzr Forum and also to [Link]http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/36187-ota-9872165-11014/#entry395166[/Link] which gave me the direction over a good nights sleep.

:cool: Hope it helps others also.

Attachments

• razr_blade.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,311

SeanChron

Mar 14, 2011
This works with unrootable after OTA

Thanks a lot bro, was driving me crazy. Posted pic to give visual reference.

Attachments

• Root.jpg
    Root.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 1,533
I had a little trouble with this on mine. When I got to the first reboot, I selected "BP Only" from the menu, as directed. When the phone booted, it was not recognized by my PC. The PC wanted "MZ600" drivers and couldn't find them. Yes, I had installed the latest Motorola Device Manager. So, the process stalled at "Waiting for phone to reboot".

Since I was stuck, I decided to try something else. I rebooted the phone using the power and both volume buttons, then selected BP Tools from the menu. When it booted it was recognized by the exploit and everything else went as planned.

One other thing to mention, when it booted up the second time, I had to grant SuperUser root access via the standard SuperUser pop-up before the exploit would proceed. That was kinda weird, but it all worked fine in the end.

Thanks for posting this!!

JTCGiants56

Jun 13, 2010
Worked perfectly! Thanks! As a side note I used the full droid razr utility and then Razr blade within that instead of the razr blade file you provided.
Also, the first time i chose bp-only it froze for me at the Motorolla screen. I had to hit the power button to shut down, and then just turned it on again. I don't know if it booted into bp-only mode this time, but nonetheless the utility installed root fine after this.

blueis300

Dec 22, 2010
Murfreesboro
Worked perfectly! Thanks! As a side note I used the full droid razr utility and then Razr blade within that instead of the razr blade file you provided.
Also, the first time i chose bp-only it froze for me at the Motorolla screen. I had to hit the power button to shut down, and then just turned it on again. I don't know if it booted into bp-only mode this time, but nonetheless the utility installed root fine after this.

I keep getting errors.

error:protocol fault no action no status

Any ideas?

Wayno-san

Mar 15, 2008
Finally worked for me in airplane mode, "BP Tools" after the first reboot, and USB setting as "Camera". Had the same issue as in the OP with the other combinations I tried.

josuearisty

Dec 4, 2010
Somewhere!
I installed the ota manually and there were no root, but before updating I installed voodoo root keeper. Everything is ok right know

Enviado desde mi DROID RAZR mediante Tapatalk

Trailblazer4

Feb 13, 2014
Unable to root Razr MAXX

I stupidly updated my razr MAXX just now to 98.72.165.XT912, which I just bought and has never been rooted. Could someone please tell me, Step by step, how to root the device? the latest exploit on XDA does not work. Is there an update for this? Please help!

Thanks.

bondiablo

May 13, 2012
Wasn't having any luck with the instructions in the original post, though I missed the suggestion to try selecting BP Tools instead of BP only the first time around. Tried using saferoot after that and it worked with no problems. File was called saferoot-moto, found it over on droidrzr.com.

Also saw a suggestion there to disable the lock screen. Don't know if that would have made a difference with the other method but had it disabled when I used saferoot.

Attachments

• saferoot-moto.zip
    3 MB · Views: 436
Last edited:
Reactions: kabinial

Wayno-san

Mar 15, 2008
How does one fully unroot from this method (without losing data)? I uninstalled safestrap, and deleted \system\xbin\su , system\bin\su, & system\apps\superuser using root explorer but the darn superuser app still keeps showing up (though it no longer works properly).

Need to unroot since I got my corporate email blocked by MaaS360 due to being rooted. :crying:

jskandhari

Nov 1, 2012
Chandigarh
I think you will need to goto Utility and perform it as far as I remeber , sorry for late reply have moved to XT1080 thus went out of touch with Motorola or there is anew update available for XT912 updated my moms phone yesterday ( it was unrooted earlier also ) that should restore your phone and probably re-unroot it.

Sent via Droid Ultra XT1080 using Tapatalk for TnP...

LaserCrafter

May 15, 2014
San Bernardino
Okay so Yesterday evening am prompted by OTA Update and foolishly I clicked on Update.
Code:
Meanwhile I was trying for Ubuntu Dual Install thus Safestrap was being installed simultaneously. Long stroy short after update I lost my ROOT and all applications
i.e. Busy Box, Boot Linux, Terminal ES File Explorer while showed rooted were not having access.
Spent the whole night figuring how to accomplish as everytime I tried the Exploit I use to get the following error

Code:
link failed File exists

Thus, meanwhile I came across this Post which took me good 2 hours to decipher as per logic, plus few others and this is how I achieved a ROOT on my XT912 again without downgrading (and without having to have Voodooo Temp un-root and stuff)

Code:

2) Make sure your Debugging option is enabled, USB Mode change it to MTP or Camera Just don't keep Mass Storage.

Clear Cache

As soon as you see "[*] Rebooting device..." for the first time, and screen turns off, immediately press Vol Down + Vol up & Power Button

All due thanks to orignal coders who invented the exploit, took it further, XDA & Droidrzr Forum and also to [Link]http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/36187-ota-9872165-11014/#entry395166[/Link] which gave me the direction over a good nights sleep.

Just system wipe the device 2 times. I did that and I got root access.

mehtuus

Aug 20, 2011
tomely.org
I had a little trouble with this on mine. When I got to the first reboot, I selected "BP Only" from the menu, as directed. When the phone booted, it was not recognized by my PC. The PC wanted "MZ600" drivers and couldn't find them. Yes, I had installed the latest Motorola Device Manager. So, the process stalled at "Waiting for phone to reboot".

Since I was stuck, ... I rebooted the phone using the power and both volume buttons... When it booted it was recognized by the exploit and everything else went as planned.

...the first time i chose bp-only it froze for me at the [red circle] Motorolla [boot] screen. I had to hit the power button to shut down, and then just turned it on again. I don't know if it booted into bp-only mode this time, but nonetheless the utility installed root fine after this.

I just wanted to report success on this as well. As the quotes above indicate, I had to make adjustments to the OP's instructions before it would work. The menu entry "BP Only" was not the last item as indicated in the OP, but instead it was "BP Tools". I chose the option "BP Only" as per the OP's instructions, but the phone locked up at reboot. After forcing a reboot the process proceeded as expected with no further issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:

Code:
    link failed File exists

Code:

Clear Cache

This works with unrootable after OTA

Thanks a lot bro, was driving me crazy. Posted pic to give visual reference.
    Wasn't having any luck with the instructions in the original post, though I missed the suggestion to try selecting BP Tools instead of BP only the first time around. Tried using saferoot after that and it worked with no problems. File was called saferoot-moto, found it over on droidrzr.com.

Also saw a suggestion there to disable the lock screen. Don't know if that would have made a difference with the other method but had it disabled when I used saferoot.