[APP] Galactic Night: nightmode for rooted Galaxy-series devices

Search This thread

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
Update: While GalacticNight is still available for older devices, if you have a newer device it probably won't work. But if you have Android 4.4 or higher, my new Color Changer app may work for you and will do everything GalacticNight did (but alas at a higher software level). I am therefore discontinuing work on GalacticNight.

Edited: Now in Google Play.

Galactic Night, now in the 0.99rc2 version, provides red, green or sepia (or blue if you really want!) night modes for rooted OLED Galaxy S2, S3 and Note 1 devices (not tested on Galaxy 7.7 but might work). You can invert the screen colors (so you can browse in white on black, or green on black, or red on black). There is also an Outdoor mode which washes out the colors but might improve legibility outdoors.

I like reading ebooks in green on black when in the dark.

As of my present knowledge, various pre-release versions of this have been tested on:
Galaxy S2: Gingerbread and ICS
Galaxy S3: ICS
Galaxy Note: JB
It should work on ICS on the Note as well, but I don't have any reports. GN works by adjusting the mDNIe profile. If you have some Samsung device I haven't heard of which has a Screen Mode setting in the Display settings that includes Dynamic/Normal/Movie options (and maybe others), there is a chance that this will work for you.

My benchmarking has not shown any statistically significant impact on graphics rendering speed.

Use at your own risk. If a mode screws up the screen display, you should be able to get back to normal by pressing "Standard" or rebooting, but I offer no guarantees.

Several users have asked for customizable settings. These could easily be provided, and could adjust for screen color tint and so on, but I haven't implemented them yet. I might in fact leave those for a Pro version.

You might be curious how the nightmode differs from that in ChainFire3D. ChainFire3D's nightmode works by dropping channels. E.g., in red mode, it simply drops the green and blue channels. This means that things on screen that were in pure green or pure blue get changed to black. Galactic Night uses a different color adjustment which is equivalent to this algorithm: first convert the RGB color on the screen to a luminosity, and then use the luminosity to set the night mode color. Thus, in red mode, pure white will go to maximum brightness red, but red, green and blue will go to different shades of red. This preserves a lot of the legibility.

There is also an odd "No blue" mode which converts RGB images to RG images, so white goes to yellow, blue goes to a dark yellow, etc. I've heard that blue light makes it harder to fall asleep, so it might help with falling asleep if you switch your phone to "No blue" mode for an hour before going to bed, if you can tolerate how ugly it looks.

Here is a photo of GN in action. It is not possible to take a screenshot of it in action, because the color changing is done between framebuffer and display, so the framebuffer that the screenshot accesses will not reflect the color changes.

I've already posted about this in a few device-specific forums, but now it's ready for wider dissemination.

gnphoto.jpg

Last edited:

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
Let me add that the green mode should nicely help save batteries. Using just the green subpixels should use about 1/3 of the power, and yet maintain a lot of visibility because our eyes are very sensitive to green light.

Reactions: Neo3D

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
Users report that on ICS there is a 1/2 second flash of the regular colors when you turn the screen on. In 0.99rc3 I implemented a red-and-black logo overlay that should cover up most of that flash (it doesn't cover up the status bar, alas). I can imagine it would be really annoying to be in the dark and get a flash of white light even for half a second.

Reports would be appreciated.

If the logo annoys, you can turn it off in GN's settings.

b631nz

Oct 10, 2011
Great app. Works well. Having no trouble with the logo for screen on.

I'm not sure how difficult this would be to implement, but it would be useful to have a tasker plugin so that red mode could be activated when you run certain apps or at specific times of day.

Keep up the good work.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Marx2

ugumba

May 18, 2007
Oslo
Let me add that the green mode should nicely help save batteries. Using just the green subpixels should use about 1/3 of the power, and yet maintain a lot of visibility because our eyes are very sensitive to green light.

The description for the app "Filter your screen" specifically says that you should avoid monochromatic filters which are not grayscale, in order to avoid some kind of burn-in, and thus a permanent tint on our (AM)OLED screens. Do you know anything about this?

I'd love to use the red or green filter, but I'm not sure I dare to, at least not for any significant amount of time.

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
The description for the app "Filter your screen" specifically says that you should avoid monochromatic filters which are not grayscale, in order to avoid some kind of burn-in, and thus a permanent tint on our (AM)OLED screens. Do you know anything about this?

I'd love to use the red or green filter, but I'm not sure I dare to, at least not for any significant amount of time.

I must say I haven't thought of that. That's an issue. But it's no more an issue than if you heavily use an app that uses a single color. Or if you heavily use an app that has a single bright display element in one place.

It's going to be more an issue if your background is all white, and then it turns, say, all green, and then the green subpixels burn out faster than the red and blue. But if you use green+invert with that, then you will have a lot fewer green pixels, most of them being black.

Moreover, I assume the issue will be mitigated to some degree if you set low screen intensity, and most of us will do that at night. Just use my ScreenDim app at night and use a combination of the two sliders to set a very low brightness. (Or use ScreenFilter or something else like that.) However, this does mean that we probably don't want to use a monochromatic screen all the time during the day, unless, well, we want to use it all the time and hence the tint will irrelevant. :)

If the burnin does a uniform tint across the screen (which may not be the case), then we can eventually correct for it with a custom color profile.

Or you can alternate between red/green/blue modes on a regular basis. :)

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi

I'm not sure how difficult this would be to implement, but it would be useful to have a tasker plugin so that red mode could be activated when you run certain apps or at specific times of day.

It would be easy to add Tasker support at the same time as I add launcher shortcuts.

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
I just posted 0.99rc4. New mode: Mono sepia. The standard sepia mode just changes white to sepia. Mono sepia changes white to sepia, and makes everything monochrome.

I've discovered a great use for the mono sepia and BW modes. The Kindle app screws up subpixel rendering (just as it is screwed up on the Kindle Fire), resulting in colored shadows around letters in some orientations (portrait on my S2, but this may differ). All the single-tone modes (sepia, BW, green, red and blue) will change the subpixel antialiasing to grayscale antialiasing, which to my eyes significantly improves appearance. (Subpixel antialiasing is wonderful--but mainly when done right.)

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
It's now in Google Play. Free, no ads (other than a link to my other apps). I am planning a pro version that will allow (a) automatic activation on boot (with some sort of safety mechanism in case you put in some bad settings like black on black--maybe if you boot with the device upside down or something like that it won't start on boot?); (b) custom modes.

Last edited:

ROB281

Apr 8, 2010
Houston
just read the article on your app, and was wondering what you need to make this work on the Galaxy Nexus if it doesn't already work on it?

pjsnyc

Nov 18, 2008
NYC
It's now in Google Play. Free, no ads (other than a link to my other apps). I am planning a pro version that will allow (a) automatic activation on boot (with some sort of safety mechanism in case you put in some bad settings like black on black--maybe if you boot with the device upside down or something like that it won't start on boot?); (b) custom modes.

This app is EXACTLY what I was looking for...except I have a Nexus S 4G :(

Any way it might get supported? Or is the display tech too different from the GS series?

punshkin

Jan 6, 2010
Great App! i always found the darkes possible darkness too bright for night use.
is this only for stock roms or also AOSP built ones like Cyanogenmod?

mikig_mkd

Dec 11, 2011
Skopje
Unsupported Device

App not working on Samsung Infuse 4g ( SGH-I997 ). It says Unsupported device or not rooted(it's rooted).

zelipukin

Aug 24, 2009
Jackson
Galaxy Note(att) rooted ICS(cm9) "no root or unsupported"

pgm msg & log attached

Thank you !

Attachments

• alogcat.2012-08-15-15-04-07-0600.txt
    23.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_2012-08-15-15-10-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-15-15-10-41.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 603

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: While GalacticNight is still available for older devices, if you have a newer device it probably won't work. But if you have Android 4.4 or higher, my new Color Changer app may work for you and will do everything GalacticNight did (but alas at a higher software level). I am therefore discontinuing work on GalacticNight.

Edited: Now in Google Play.

Galactic Night, now in the 0.99rc2 version, provides red, green or sepia (or blue if you really want!) night modes for rooted OLED Galaxy S2, S3 and Note 1 devices (not tested on Galaxy 7.7 but might work). You can invert the screen colors (so you can browse in white on black, or green on black, or red on black). There is also an Outdoor mode which washes out the colors but might improve legibility outdoors.

I like reading ebooks in green on black when in the dark.

As of my present knowledge, various pre-release versions of this have been tested on:
    Galaxy S2: Gingerbread and ICS
    Galaxy S3: ICS
    Galaxy Note: JB
    It should work on ICS on the Note as well, but I don't have any reports. GN works by adjusting the mDNIe profile. If you have some Samsung device I haven't heard of which has a Screen Mode setting in the Display settings that includes Dynamic/Normal/Movie options (and maybe others), there is a chance that this will work for you.

My benchmarking has not shown any statistically significant impact on graphics rendering speed.

Use at your own risk. If a mode screws up the screen display, you should be able to get back to normal by pressing "Standard" or rebooting, but I offer no guarantees.

Several users have asked for customizable settings. These could easily be provided, and could adjust for screen color tint and so on, but I haven't implemented them yet. I might in fact leave those for a Pro version.

You might be curious how the nightmode differs from that in ChainFire3D. ChainFire3D's nightmode works by dropping channels. E.g., in red mode, it simply drops the green and blue channels. This means that things on screen that were in pure green or pure blue get changed to black. Galactic Night uses a different color adjustment which is equivalent to this algorithm: first convert the RGB color on the screen to a luminosity, and then use the luminosity to set the night mode color. Thus, in red mode, pure white will go to maximum brightness red, but red, green and blue will go to different shades of red. This preserves a lot of the legibility.

There is also an odd "No blue" mode which converts RGB images to RG images, so white goes to yellow, blue goes to a dark yellow, etc. I've heard that blue light makes it harder to fall asleep, so it might help with falling asleep if you switch your phone to "No blue" mode for an hour before going to bed, if you can tolerate how ugly it looks.

Here is a photo of GN in action. It is not possible to take a screenshot of it in action, because the color changing is done between framebuffer and display, so the framebuffer that the screenshot accesses will not reflect the color changes.

I've already posted about this in a few device-specific forums, but now it's ready for wider dissemination.

gnphoto.jpg
    I've added official Note 2 support. Should be up on Google Play within a couple of hours.

The previous versions might have worked on the Note 2, but used S3's gamma settings. This version corrects this.

By the way, a really annoying thing is the ROM developers who change the /proc/cpuinfo Hardware field to be something like "cmhercules" instead of the CPU identifier, which is what it should be. GalacticNight uses the /proc/cpuinfo Hardware field to figure out how to tweak the display, and about a lot of compatibility problems are due to /proc/cpuinfo issues. Those are easy to fix, so if you have a compatibility problem, email me the log.

Keep up the good work.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
    That's an amazing app, waiting for a pro version just for the ability to adjust brightness and contrast in bw mode.

Thanks. But I can't get this working on newer devices like the S4 or the Note 3. I tried with a very helpful user, but without actually having the hardware to play with, can't do it. And without support for newer devices, it's not going to have much commercial appeal. Moreover, fewer than 1000 users are currently using GalacticNight (out of 10,000 downloads). I would guess that a pro version might capture 10% of that, or 100 users, which isn't very enticing given the amount of effort needed to add all the adjustments people want.

It's also a nightmare to support all the different custom ROMs people have installed. It seems that when someone makes a ROM, they feel the need to change the CPU identification that GalacticNight uses to figure out how to edit the display data. And some ROMs disable the MDNIE tuning system, and I end up wasting time corresponding with a user only to find that their custom ROM has removed the functionality.

That said, it is open source, so you can make whatever modifications you like (though I have to say that the source is a mess). But as for me, I think this is the end of line for the product, at least until I end up upgrading my own phone (an S2 running 2.3; I see no compelling reason to upgrade, though).