[Q] after installing android SDK and rooting Nexus File transfer stops working

Search This thread

johnnyninja

Sep 27, 2009
I've never had a problem with android file transfer up till I rooted today. My wife has a stock Nexus 7 and I can plug her Nexus into my computer and the file transfer app will start. I have usb debugging turned on and the usb connection on my tablet is set to Media device.

Now as I'm typing this my Nexus has been connect to my mac for about an hour. I just went to the USB settings to make sure I had Media device selected and the file transfer window popped up out of nowhere. I killed it and tried again and it won't come up. Maybe in an hour or so if it does the same thing.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Very strange behavior.

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Disable USB debugging.

Unplug/plug in your nexus.

The USB IDs change for some reason when you have USB debugging turned on and the MTP device isn't recognized as such. PTP (camera) mode continues to work for both cases though.

johnnyninja

Sep 27, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion but It still fails. I disabled debugging and still can't connect. Switching USB modes didn't help either.

xnifex

Jul 4, 2006
Phoenix
If that doesn't work uninstall the adb driver & then plug your tablet back in so it will reinstall

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
My next suggestion would to reboot the tablet with USB debugging turned off.

If that doesn't work, my next suggestion would be to delete the existing drivers and force reinstall.

All with USB debugging turned off.

snipe2nite

Aug 1, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
I've never had a problem with android file transfer up till I rooted today. My wife has a stock Nexus 7 and I can plug her Nexus into my computer and the file transfer app will start. I have usb debugging turned on and the usb connection on my tablet is set to Media device.

Now as I'm typing this my Nexus has been connect to my mac for about an hour. I just went to the USB settings to make sure I had Media device selected and the file transfer window popped up out of nowhere. I killed it and tried again and it won't come up. Maybe in an hour or so if it does the same thing.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Very strange behavior.
Make sure after you plug in your device you're looking at your tab and click OK on the pop up........

Sent from my Nexus 7

johnnyninja

Sep 27, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions. It's working now. I was just about ready to delete the driver and the tablet started to be recognized consistently. I was in the settings screen and toggled debugging on and off while plugging in the tablet. I noticed the info bar at the top alternating between showing "debugging" and "media device" and I selected each one a couple of times when they came up. I think that it finally worked through the ID confusion that was mentions. I'll follow the the rest of the instructions if the problem comes back.

Thanks again.

johnnyninja

Sep 27, 2009
It's acting up again so I'm going to try deleting the drivers. I thought I knew what to do but I can't find any information. What's the procedure to delete the driver? I'm running os x lion

Last edited:
G

GuestK00128

I've tried every suggestion in all of these threads so far & nothing worked. Even after I deleted the ADB drivers, windows 7 would automatically reinstall them. When I tried to update the drivers, win7 said they already had the best drivers (ADB).

Here's what worked for me:

I had to turn off USB debugging, delete the ADB drivers in Device Manager, then reboot the device while it's still plugged in. Windows recognized the device as an MTP device & installed the drivers before it even fully booted.

johnnyninja

Sep 27, 2009
I'm not sure how I finally resolved the problem on my mac. I toggled debugging on and off and rebooted a couple of times. That may have done it. I also ran the adb script in the SDK platform-tools folder. I don't know what that script does exactly but possibly it reinitialized the driver and ID.

Anyway, hopefully these workflows will work for others.

eric_928

Mar 26, 2013
I'm not sure how I finally resolved the problem on my mac. I toggled debugging on and off and rebooted a couple of times. That may have done it. I also ran the adb script in the SDK platform-tools folder. I don't know what that script does exactly but possibly it reinitialized the driver and ID.

Anyway, hopefully these workflows will work for others.

Rooted my nexus 7 (2012) last night and struggling with my laptop not recognizing it. This thread solved it!

Delete the ADB on my window, toggle off debugging and restart the nexus 7 with usb connected to laptop. works like a charm.

Thank you!

pramyhoga

Dec 28, 2013
Surabaya
Google Pixel 3
Xiaomi Mi 10
Guys, my N4 got this problem too.. until just a few minute ago :)
I read somewhere ini goge groups (i think N5 group), and found explanation that we can change ADB or MTP "mode" on device manager. On "Androoid ADB Device" right click and select "Update Driver Software". Click "Browse My Computer for Driver Software" and then "Let me pick from blablabla...." And then select MTP USB Device, "next" and my N4 detected on Windows Explorer.
Hope it will be usefull for you guys.