[Game] Nes Emulator -[R]- 5th Jan 2011 -[U]- 14th Feb 2011 -[V]- 1.2

Search This thread

Tuska

Nov 17, 2010
Name: NES Emulator for Windows Phone 7

Instructions for loading rom files:

1) Sideload the app to the phone by dev tools or some other means
2) The app appears in the xbox live tab among with other games.
3) Roms are added by typing in an direct http url (ie. http://www.myhomepages.com/roms/somegame.nes) and clicking download, if all goes well the rom appears on the main listbox.
3.5) Zip files are not supported. Get that Rom directly somehow
4) select rom and click play

Gaming mode application buttons are pause/play, save, load and sounds on/off
Most of the nes roms should work.

Source: Me.

Download Link: http://www.cs.uta.fi/~tp79800/nes/Emu120.xap

update: updated xap url, but still same old emulator

Last edited:

Sacer

Jan 5, 2011
i didn't get this. how does this emulator work?

if i sideload it, no app appears in my list. if i type in your site in the mobile IE theres just a big button with "download silverlight".

"tested" on HTC HD7

Tuska

Nov 17, 2010
App or the emulator should appear in the xbox live panel where other games are.

ycavan

Nov 9, 2007
It's really slow on my LG Quantum. @ First I thought it did not work, but my zelda rom must be corrupt ( or unsupported here ). It played super mario bro's just fine, just slow & no sound at all.

I dl'd it to my laptop, chevron-unlock ( 'cause my phone locks every 5 minutes or so ), tom's xap install. Put in the url to my nes rom, hit download, hit play & it plays.

Note: can ONLY be played in portrait mode. In landscape mode, the controller takes up half the screen, so you don't see much of the game screen.

recommendation: allow users to map buttons to controls in-game. ie, my Quantum has a nice slide-out keyboard so I wouldn't need the dodgy on-screen controller.

Tuska

Nov 17, 2010
Damn that it's slow.

First priority should be to increase framerate to playable rate. Then the UI improvements.

Sounds are enabled by pressing the gearwheel button.

poy41

Jan 7, 2011
Kamloops
confused:
"Type in url to some .nes file of your choosing and click middle button (download)"
anyone elaborate on this?

Tuska

Nov 17, 2010
You need to get .nes files to your device somehow.

Currently only implemented way is to download it to the device by typing in a direct link to a rom file ie. http://www.myhomepages.com/upload/mario.nes (imaginary link)

Upload your rom files to your own homepages or find some files online and use those links.

poy41

Jan 7, 2011
Kamloops
thats what i figgered i had to do. but still cant get it to go. keeps bringing up a error when i try to load the .nes...

edit: found out i can download the file if i rename it to 'rom.nes' (AKA case sensitive) but still gives a error when trying to play it.

edit edit: tried 5 diff. roms. all come back as "ROM was not valid"

Last edited:

jojo0821

Jan 21, 2005
I run it at my focus

1. Slow! just 40% NES Speed
2. No Multitouch control

Last edited:

Tuska

Nov 17, 2010
I added some ARM specific tweaks, let's see if that helps..

What's the framerate now?

jojo0821

Jan 21, 2005
Samsung Focus, don't press sound button

The Key of Solomon
18~20 framerate
FF3
18~24 framerate

Press sound button
The Key of Solomon
16~17 framerate
FF3
16~17 framerate

But press the sound button can't hear Sound.

Last edited:

someanyoneelse

Jan 11, 2011
I get "The remote server returned an error: NotFound" when i try to download a rom. Interestingly though it worked once after I turned my WIFI on, but the rom was not valid

vagabond1

Jan 22, 2008
Is there a rubric or something to tell us which romsets work? I've tried GoodROMs that I've had on my PC for ages and have played countless times on countless emus on countless devices.. etc, and this app throws back an 'unsupported' error.

Jaxbot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com

DevTheo

Jan 15, 2008
Easy way to get a URL

If you use DropBox you can quickly put a rom in your public folder and get the URI from the DropBox right click menu...
--------------
BTW, I'm the author of a SharpDropBox Client for .NET (over on CodePlex -- sharpdropbox.codeplex.com -- sorry not enough posts here to post an outside link) which is really just a client for WP7. I'm not sure if the author used XNA or Silverlight, but if he used the latter he could integrate my library to make it easy for those of us who can sideload to get stuff on the device. If not, I'm not sure if my library will work with XNA or not (I need to learn XNA and figure this out)

I'm hoping to give a talk on this at MIX this year (I'm actually working on creating a client library for a few other similar services for WP7).

Anyway, if he wants to get in contact with me I would love to give him a hand with this..

DevTheo

Reactions: megagprime

Tuska

Nov 17, 2010
Next version is up, 1.1.0.

I hope for better framerate! and touch input should be more responsive now.

I also tried that dropbox api, but the login didn't work.

Reactions: FrozenLord

vagabond1

Jan 22, 2008
Shame on you having me do testing on the morning of my Birthday ;)

Results in a minute....

Mario Bros 1 on previous ver: 23-29 FPS (about 38-49% speed)

wasn't able to test on new version, games that loaded in first version did not load at all in new version.. Seems even pickier than before...

tried 10 diff games from 3 diff sets. Same results

Tuska: If you can PM me and I can help with testing. I have a Dell Venue Pro and am experienced with using rom/emus

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Name: NES Emulator for Windows Phone 7

Instructions for loading rom files:

1) Sideload the app to the phone by dev tools or some other means
    2) The app appears in the xbox live tab among with other games.
    3) Roms are added by typing in an direct http url (ie. http://www.myhomepages.com/roms/somegame.nes) and clicking download, if all goes well the rom appears on the main listbox.
    3.5) Zip files are not supported. Get that Rom directly somehow
    4) select rom and click play

Gaming mode application buttons are pause/play, save, load and sounds on/off
    Most of the nes roms should work.

Source: Me.

Download Link: http://www.cs.uta.fi/~tp79800/nes/Emu120.xap

update: updated xap url, but still same old emulator
    thx man, your ROM worked. cant figger out what was wrong with mine...

like everyone is saying, no sound and a little laggy, but a awesome app non the less! keep up the good work man!

I could use some 'Thanks' for my sad thanksmeter ;)
    No problem
    OK im making good on what I said earlier. Here's a site with a list (and DL link?) to many PD legal ROMs. This site should be compliant with XDA-Dev rules but if not please remove, mod!

http://www.nes-emulator.com/free_nes_roms.htm

If anyone needs a mirror I can upload
    Easy way to get a URL

If you use DropBox you can quickly put a rom in your public folder and get the URI from the DropBox right click menu...
    --------------
    BTW, I'm the author of a SharpDropBox Client for .NET (over on CodePlex -- sharpdropbox.codeplex.com -- sorry not enough posts here to post an outside link) which is really just a client for WP7. I'm not sure if the author used XNA or Silverlight, but if he used the latter he could integrate my library to make it easy for those of us who can sideload to get stuff on the device. If not, I'm not sure if my library will work with XNA or not (I need to learn XNA and figure this out)

I'm hoping to give a talk on this at MIX this year (I'm actually working on creating a client library for a few other similar services for WP7).

Anyway, if he wants to get in contact with me I would love to give him a hand with this..

DevTheo
    Next version is up, 1.1.0.

I hope for better framerate! and touch input should be more responsive now.

I also tried that dropbox api, but the login didn't work.