[MOD] NFC With the Screen Locked/Off - UPDATE for BLG8/BLH1.

Search This thread

mayhemer

Jan 23, 2007
Update (30.08.2012): Added Packages for LFB. And a beta package for LH7: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30905004&postcount=180

Update (24.08.2012): Added Packages for BLG8, BLG9 and BLH1 (nfcmodSGS3_lockscreenBLG8_BLH1.zip, nfcmodSGS3_screenoffBLG8_BLH1.zip and nfcmodSGS3_stock_deodexed_BLG8_BLH1.zip). Update for LFB will follow soon.

In the Samsung Galaxy S3 Stock ROM NFC does not work when screen is off or locked. With this mod NFC also works when screen is locked or off.

There are two versions. The first just enables NFC, when screen is on, but it also worked when it is locked. Also with a PIN or Password-Lock everything is fine. But it disables NFC when the SGS3 is in standby and the screen is off.
The second version let NFC active all the time, even when the SGS3 is in standby and the screen is off.
Nothing else is changed in the behaviour of the NFC.
I also created a ZIP to go back to stock NFC. CAUTION: Use the stock zips only with the right firmware. The deodexed stock should work for all stock firmwares released yet.

All ZIPs have to be flashed with CWM. You should wipe Dalvik cache after flashing.

This mod works for at least for ALE8, ALF1, ALF2, ALF5, ALF6, BLG8, BLG9, LFB and BLH1.
For users of the AT&T S3 (SGS-I747), I created a version for this device too: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1740614. Please give me feedback, because I do not own this device and I cannot test the Mod on it!
For users of the Sprint S3 (SPH-L710), I created a version for this device too: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28046812. Please give me feedback, because I do not own this device and I cannot test the Mod on it!
For users of the T-Mobile S3 (SPH-T999), I created a version for this device too: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=30920478. Please give me feedback, because I do not own this device and I cannot test the Mod on it!

Incompatibilities: This Mod seems not to work with CM9. This mod does not work with LFB now. Maybe the BLG8 version works for LFB8 but I have to validate this or someone has to test it. I will provide an update for LFB the next days.

Disclaimer: As always, I hereby absolve myself of responsibility for any damage you cause to your phone by flashing this. There is inherent risk in modding your device, and by flashing anything in this thread you are taking that risk into your own hands. If something goes wrong, I will try and help. You should always make a Nandroid Backup before flashing.

To ROM Devs: You are more than welcome to use this in your ROMs! Just shoot me a little bit of credit in your release post!

Thank you: Geniusdog254 for the idea and the infos in your thread.

Changelog
30.08.2012:
- Added Packages for LFB.

24.08.2012:
- Added packages compatible with BLG8, BLG9 and BLH1.

19.06.2012:
- Fixed potential issue with NFC-EE routing in nfcmodSGS-3_screenoff.zip

18.06.2012:
- Bugfix for not working nfcmodSGS-3_screenoff.zip

15.06.2012:
- Initial Version

Attachments

• nfcmodSGS-3_lockscreen.zip
    368.8 KB · Views: 3,745
  • nfcmodSGS-3_screenoff.zip
    368.8 KB · Views: 2,781
  • nfcmodSGS3_stock_ALE8.zip
    372.6 KB · Views: 383
  • nfcmodSGS3_stock_ALF1.zip
    372.6 KB · Views: 295
  • nfcmodSGS3_stock_ALF2.zip
    372.6 KB · Views: 495
  • nfcmodSGS3_stock_ALF5.zip
    372.6 KB · Views: 282
  • nfcmodSGS3_stock_ALF6.zip
    372.6 KB · Views: 350
  • nfcmodSGS3_stock_deodexed.zip
    370.1 KB · Views: 897
  • nfcmodSGS3_stock_BLG8.zip
    637.4 KB · Views: 110
  • nfcmodSGS3_lockscreenBLG8_BLH1.zip
    618.3 KB · Views: 809
  • nfcmodSGS3_screenoffBLG8_BLH1.zip
    618.3 KB · Views: 676
  • nfcmodSGS3_stock_deodexed_BLG8_BLH1.zip
    619.7 KB · Views: 140
  • nfcmodSGS3_stock_BLH1.zip
    637.4 KB · Views: 161
  • nfcmodSGS3_lockscreen_LFB.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 518
  • nfcmodSGS3_screenoff_LFB.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 574
  • nfcmodSGS3_stock_deodexed_LFB.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 109
  • nfcmodSGS3_stock_LFB.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:

mayhemer

Jan 23, 2007
I've not yet tested it but I think so. But I think the effect on battery life shall be less then for example bluetooth activated all the time, because NFC uses less power. But it can happen your SGS3 comes near a NFC-Tag and an communication starts without your knowledge. But this NFC-tag have to be very near to your S3 and normaly it cannot do anything on your phone if you haven't configured it so... But is's up to you. I prefer the lockscreen variant yet.

dave_uk

Jan 9, 2006
London
I've not yet tested it but I think so. But I think the effect on battery life shall be less then for example bluetooth activated all the time, because NFC uses less power. But it can happen your SGS3 comes near a NFC-Tag and an communication starts without your knowledge. But this NFC-tag have to be very near to your S3 and normaly it cannot do anything on your phone if you haven't configured it so... But is's up to you. I prefer the lockscreen variant yet.

Thanks. I was thinking more of the impact of it always searching rather than an unintended connection. Will be interested to hear people's feedback though.

EnemyOfGlaDOS

Nov 10, 2010
Boulder, Colorado
Thanks for this.. we were just talking about this in my thread. I'll be sure to add a link this weekend to your thread as well! Thanks again for this! :)

sent from my Galaxy S III

jameslfc5

Sep 27, 2009
The first just enables NFC, when screen is on, but it also worked when it is locked. Also with a PIN or Password-Lock everything is fine. But it disables NFC when the SGS3 is in standby and the screen is off.

By disables it when the screen is off or in standby, does this mean it will use no power ie basically its turned off?

if so this is genius!

mayhemer

Jan 23, 2007
When you flash nfcmodSGS-3_lockscreen.zip NFC is disables when the screen is off. So NFC does need no power when the screen is off. But you also cannot use NFC with the screen off.

mikelyon

Jan 24, 2010
Lyon
Sorry but for me it doesn't work when the screen is off. :(

My config: insecure kernel (stock + root) + Omega V5.0 rom

Same thing with Siyah Kernel.....

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update (30.08.2012): Added Packages for LFB. And a beta package for LH7: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30905004&postcount=180

Update (24.08.2012): Added Packages for BLG8, BLG9 and BLH1 (nfcmodSGS3_lockscreenBLG8_BLH1.zip, nfcmodSGS3_screenoffBLG8_BLH1.zip and nfcmodSGS3_stock_deodexed_BLG8_BLH1.zip). Update for LFB will follow soon.

In the Samsung Galaxy S3 Stock ROM NFC does not work when screen is off or locked. With this mod NFC also works when screen is locked or off.

There are two versions. The first just enables NFC, when screen is on, but it also worked when it is locked. Also with a PIN or Password-Lock everything is fine. But it disables NFC when the SGS3 is in standby and the screen is off.
    The second version let NFC active all the time, even when the SGS3 is in standby and the screen is off.
    Nothing else is changed in the behaviour of the NFC.
    I also created a ZIP to go back to stock NFC. CAUTION: Use the stock zips only with the right firmware. The deodexed stock should work for all stock firmwares released yet.

All ZIPs have to be flashed with CWM. You should wipe Dalvik cache after flashing.

This mod works for at least for ALE8, ALF1, ALF2, ALF5, ALF6, BLG8, BLG9, LFB and BLH1.
    For users of the AT&T S3 (SGS-I747), I created a version for this device too: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1740614. Please give me feedback, because I do not own this device and I cannot test the Mod on it!
    For users of the Sprint S3 (SPH-L710), I created a version for this device too: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28046812. Please give me feedback, because I do not own this device and I cannot test the Mod on it!
    For users of the T-Mobile S3 (SPH-T999), I created a version for this device too: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=30920478. Please give me feedback, because I do not own this device and I cannot test the Mod on it!

Incompatibilities: This Mod seems not to work with CM9. This mod does not work with LFB now. Maybe the BLG8 version works for LFB8 but I have to validate this or someone has to test it. I will provide an update for LFB the next days.

Disclaimer: As always, I hereby absolve myself of responsibility for any damage you cause to your phone by flashing this. There is inherent risk in modding your device, and by flashing anything in this thread you are taking that risk into your own hands. If something goes wrong, I will try and help. You should always make a Nandroid Backup before flashing.

To ROM Devs: You are more than welcome to use this in your ROMs! Just shoot me a little bit of credit in your release post!

Changelog
    30.08.2012:
    - Added Packages for LFB.

24.08.2012:
    - Added packages compatible with BLG8, BLG9 and BLH1.

19.06.2012:
    - Fixed potential issue with NFC-EE routing in nfcmodSGS-3_screenoff.zip

18.06.2012:
    - Bugfix for not working nfcmodSGS-3_screenoff.zip

15.06.2012:
    - Initial Version
    XXELKC version

Hi,

as so many people are crying for it... I made the mod for XXELKC :D

However, I have not yet tested it. Sorry, no time before today evening.

But maybe you guys can give it a try and let me know?

Andi
    XXDLJ5 version

Hi all,

for those interested in having this mod for latest XXDLJ5 firmware, please find flashable zips attached (tested and working fine).

Enjoy
    Andi

Thanks. Here is the LIB version created from simonwil's Nfc.apk.
    Hi,

yes, have done it now (UNTESTED !!! Pls tell me if it works fine).
    Sorry, could not do it earlier, was busy with my Theme and my Kernel...

Hope it works fine.

BR
    Andi

AndiP

Possible to make this for XXDLJ4 ?

Thanks in advance :)