• Yes, after a few tries

Votes: 10 13.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

mattman86

Oct 24, 2011
Vineyard
How to Unbrick, Root, And Install CWM

Disclaimer: This guide is for your information only. I am not responsible for any further damage cause to your device by not following the guide correctly. Parts of this guide are based on the Unbricking guide produced by XDA member, Machzelet. Namely the Unbrick process.

This guide will give you step by step instructions on how to initially unbrick, root, and install ClockWorkMod Recovery on your LG Nitro HD. You will also learn how to make yourself a CWM backup that you can use to unbrick your Nitro whenever you need to... even when you are away from your PC.

NOTE: More people have had success using this guide on Windows XP than Windows 7.

It is understood by the author that CWM and CWM backups are nothing new to the XDA community. This guide is less about groundbreaking discoveries and more about clarification and introduction of an on-the-fly unbricking concept. As with all posts on the community forum, this guide is not set in stone and can/will be changed upon suggestion from other XDA Forum members.

Required Downloads
  • Nitro_Unbrick.zip (760.24MB) (Unzip to the location of your choice. 7zip is recommended.)

Notes Before You Start
  • Make sure to allow the phone to boot into the stock ROM at least once before flashing any other ROMs.

Unbrick the Phone
  1. Copy ‘Android’ folder to C:\
  2. In the ‘Run…’ dialog, type “sysdm.cpl” and press enter.
  3. Click the ‘Advanced’ tab.
  4. Click the ‘Environment Variables…’ button.
  5. In the ‘System Variables’ section, highlight the entry labeled ‘Path’.
  6. Click the ‘Edit…’ button at the bottom of the window.
  7. Add “;C:\Android” to the end of the Variable Value.
  8. Click ‘OK’.
  9. Click ‘OK’.
  10. Click ‘OK’.
  11. Log out of Windows and log back in.
  12. Once logged in, run the exe in the ‘LGP930’ folder to ensure that the Nitro drivers are installed. (This should install all of the necessary drivers. However, if it does not, install the drivers in the sub-folder as well.)
  13. Once drivers are installed, run the exe file in the ‘shttp3’ folder.
  14. Check the box to agree to the license.
  15. Click ‘Install’.
  16. When finished, run “C:\shttps\http.exe”.
  17. Right click the ‘Small Server’ icon in the System Tray and select ‘Settings…’.
  18. Click ‘HTTP’ at the top.
  19. Change the second box from ‘8080’ to ‘9002’ and click ‘OK’ in the top right.
  20. Extract the file named ‘www.zip’ located in the ‘shttp3’ folder to “C:\shttps\www”.
  21. Edit the ‘hosts’ file in “C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc” and add the following line: “127.0.0.1 csmg.lgmobile.com”
  22. Save the file.
  23. In the ‘Run…’ dialog, type “ipconfig /flushdns”.
  24. Run the file named “B2CAppSetup.exe” located in the ‘KDZ_FW_UPD_EN’ folder and then close it.
  25. Run the file named “UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe” located in the ‘KDZ_FW_UPD_EN’ folder. (If you get errors, you may need to install msxml.msi.)
  26. In the ‘Merge’ section, click the folder next to the ‘Select model.dll’ field.
  27. Navigate to the “model.dll” file in the ‘KDZ_FW_UPD_EN’ folder and click ‘OK’.
  28. In the ‘Test’ section, change ‘PhoneMode’ to “EMERGENCY”.
  29. Click the folder next to the ‘Select kdz file’ field.
  30. Navigate to the “V10F_00.kdz” file in the root folder and click ‘OK’.
  31. Click ‘CSE web upgrade test’ at the bottom right of the window.
  32. With the phone off, hold the Volume Up button and plug it into the PC via USB.
  33. Once the screen says “Download Mode”, move on to the next step.
  34. Click ‘Upgrade Start’.
  35. Change the language to English and click ‘OK’.
  36. If the upgrade stops at 4%, start over from step 23 and try again.
  37. While the upgrade is in progress, copy the contents of the ‘Images’ folder to an SD card.
  38. When the phone reboots, use Task Manager to close the upgrade application.
  39. When the phone is up and running, tap the left button and choose English.
  40. Tap ‘Exit’.

Enable Root Rights
  1. Enable USB Debugging and Unknown Sources.
  2. Insert your SD card and let it mount and scan.
  3. Run the exe in the 'SuperOneClick' folder. (If you can't obtain root rights using this application, try Bin4ry's guides.)
  4. Follow the instruction given in the application.

Flash AT&T Stock ROM (2.3.5)
  1. Once the phone reboots, type “cmd” in the ‘Run…’ dialog and press enter.
  2. Type “adb shell” and press enter.
  3. Type “su” and press enter.
  4. Run the following commands one by one in order:
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/[COLOR="Magenta"]boot.img[/COLOR] of=/dev/block/[COLOR="Magenta"]mmcblk0p8[/COLOR]
    dd if=/sdcard/[COLOR="Orange"]recovery.img[/COLOR] of=/dev/block/[COLOR="Orange"]mmcblk0p13[/COLOR]
    dd if=/sdcard/[COLOR="Lime"]firmware.img[/COLOR] of=/dev/block/[COLOR="Lime"]mmcblk0p1[/COLOR]
    dd if=/sdcard/[COLOR="Cyan"]baseband.img[/COLOR] of=/dev/block/[COLOR="Cyan"]mmcblk0p14[/COLOR]
    dd if=/sdcard/[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]system.img[/COLOR] of=/dev/block/[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]mmcblk0p27[/COLOR]
  5. After the last command finishes (It will take a while.), pull the battery out of your phone and unplug the USB.
  6. Replace the battery.
  7. Hold the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time until the screen says “Factory Reset”.
  8. Press the Power button twice and wait for the phone to reboot into the stock AT&T ROM.

Install ClockWorkMod Recovery
  1. If you haven’t already, follow the steps to root once more.
  2. Install ROM Manager from the Play Store.
  3. Open ROM Manager and tap ‘Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery’.
  4. Tap the first option that says “LG P930”.
  5. Let ROM Manager do its thing.

Create A Recovery
  1. Turn off the phone.
  2. Hold the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time until the screen says “Factory Reset”.
  3. Press the Power button twice and wait for the phone to reboot into ClockWorkMod.
  4. Tap ‘Backup and Restore’.
  5. Tap ‘Backup’.
  6. When the blue menu appears again, tap ‘Reboot System Now’.

Restore Your Backup
  1. Pull the battery out.
  2. Replace the battery.
  3. Hold the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time until the screen says “Factory Reset”.
  4. Press the Power button twice and wait for the phone to reboot into ClockWorkMod.
  5. Tap ‘Wipe data/factory reset’.
  6. Tap ‘Wipe cache partition’. (For good measure.)
  7. Tap ‘Backup and Restore’.
  8. Tap ‘Restore’.
  9. Choose your backup.
  10. When the blue menu appears again, tap ‘Reboot System Now’.

Last edited:

miguellopez12

Apr 2, 2012
So is this a way to get back to stock from ics leak? Or would I still need to unbrick into the korean version?

Sent from my LG-P930 using xda app-developers app

mattman86

Oct 24, 2011
Vineyard
So is this a way to get back to stock from ics leak? Or would I still need to unbrick into the korean version?

No, this will take you into the Korean version. It is essentially the same as Machzelet's guide. I just clarified a few of the steps, added a different rooting method, and explained ClockWorkMod Recovery installation and backup/restore.

Reactions: X0dus

scott0

Dec 9, 2011
nice, hopefully clears up the nuttiness that thread fell into. d'ling the zip now, well, i think i am, on another box.

Reactions: lowlab

chrisrotolo

Nov 3, 2010
Corona, CA
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
great guide, nice write up.

just to be sure, under restoring your backup after bricking #5. says to factory reset, then restore you CWM backup. Will your clockwork backups be deleted when you wipe data/factory reset, I think they usually are on my galaxy tab 7.0 plus.

thanks.

themadbomber

Jul 20, 2012
Hello I'm in need of some help I can't back up my current Rom because clockwork mod doesn't work on my phone is there another way

Sent from my GT-S5830i using xda app-developers app

mattman86

Oct 24, 2011
Vineyard
Hello I'm in need of some help I can't back up my current Rom because clockwork mod doesn't work on my phone is there another way

Sent from my GT-S5830i using xda app-developers app

Download this file and copy it to your SD card.

Try replacing "dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13" in step 3 of the AT&T ROM section with "dd if=/sdcard/recovery-clockwork-5.8.2.0-p930.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13" and go through the steps again and ignore the ClockWorkMod Recovery install section.

mith13

May 9, 2012
kochi
How to Setup Your Easy Unbricking Backup

Disclaimer: This guide is for your information only. I am not responsible for any further damage cause to your device by not following the guide correctly. Parts of this guide are based on the Unbricking guide produced by XDA member, Machzelet. Namely the Revival process.

This guide will give you step by step instructions on how to initially unbrick, root, and install ClockWorkMod Recovery on your LG Nitro HD. You will also learn how to make yourself a CWM backup that you can use to unbrick your Nitro whenever you need to... even when you are away from your PC.

It is understood by the author that CWM and CWM backups are nothing new to the XDA community. This guide is less about groundbreaking discoveries and more about clarification and introduction of an on-the-fly unbricking concept. As with all posts on the community forum, this guide is not set in stone and can/will be changed upon suggestion from other XDA Forum members.

Required Downloads

Reviving the Phone
  8. Click ‘OK’.
  9. Click ‘OK’.
  10. Click ‘OK’.
  12. Once logged in, run the exe in the ‘LGP930’ folder to ensure that the Nitro drivers are installed.
  15. Click ‘Install’.
  17. Right click the ‘Small Server’ icon in the System Tray and select ‘Settings…’.
  19. Change the second box from ‘8080’ to ‘9002’ and click ‘OK’ in the top right.
  20. Extract the file named ‘www.zip’ located in the ‘shttp3’ folder to “C:\shttps\www”.
  21. Edit the ‘hosts’ file in “C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc” and add the following line: “127.0.0.1 csmg.lgmobile.com”
  22. Save the file.
  24. Run the file named “B2CAppSetup.exe” located in the ‘KDZ_FW_UPD_EN’ folder and then close it.
  25. Run the file named “UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe” located in the ‘KDZ_FW_UPD_EN’ folder.
  26. In the ‘Merge’ section, click the folder next to the ‘Select model.dll’ field.
  27. Navigate to the “model.dll” file in the ‘KDZ_FW_UPD_EN’ folder and click ‘OK’.
  30. Navigate to the “V10F_00.kdz” file in the ‘KDZ_FW_UPD_EN’ folder and click ‘OK’.
  32. With the phone off, hold the Volume Up button and plug it into the PC via USB.
  37. While the upgrade is in progress, copy the contents of the ‘Images’ folder to an SD card.
  40. Tap ‘Exit’.

Enabling Root Rights
  3. Run the file named “ROOT.bat” located in the ‘ROOT’ folder.
  4. Follow the instructions on in the CMD window.

Flashing AT&T Stock ROM
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13
    dd if=/sdcard/firmware.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
    dd if=/sdcard/baseband.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14
    dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p27
  5. After the last command finishes (It will take a while.), pull the battery out of your phone and unplug the USB.
  6. Replace the battery.
  7. Hold the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time until the screen says “Factory Reset”.
  8. Press the Power button twice and wait for the phone to reboot into the stock AT&T ROM.

Installing ClockWorkMod Recovery

If you plan on flashing HO!NO!s ICS CWM ROM, now would be a good time to do that. After, you can customize it and move on with this guide.

Create First Recovery for Easy Unbricking
  1. Turn off the phone.
  2. Hold the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time until the screen says “Factory Reset”.
  3. Press the Power button twice and wait for the phone to reboot into ClockWorkMod.
  5. Tap ‘Backup’.

Restoring Your Backup after Bricking
  1. Pull the battery out.
  2. Replace the battery.
  3. Hold the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time until the screen says “Factory Reset”.
  4. Press the Power button twice and wait for the phone to reboot into ClockWorkMod.
  8. Tap ‘Restore’.
  9. Choose your backup.

Notes
  • Make sure to allow the phone to boot into the stock ROM at least once before flashing any other ROMs.
  • Don't forget to wipe the cache and data partitions each time you unbrick.

Hi tried the steps above but after i click the ‘Upgrade Start’.button its reads my phone and says The Cell phone is the latest version already. So you don't need to update.
right ow i am on ICS Leak no root.
Please advise..

scott0

Dec 9, 2011
Hi tried the steps above but after i click the ‘Upgrade Start’.button its reads my phone and says The Cell phone is the latest version already. So you don't need to update.
right ow i am on ICS Leak no root.
Please advise..

this is *usually* the culprit

Edit the ‘hosts’ file in “C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc” and add the following line: “127.0.0.1 csmg.lgmobile.com”

mattman86

Oct 24, 2011
Vineyard

Edit the ‘hosts’ file in “C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc” and add the following line: “127.0.0.1 csmg.lgmobile.com”

Thank you for responding scott0. I have been busy today and not able to read the latest posts.

Also, I had a lot of troubles with that part too. So I added step 23 to refresh the DNS.

mith13

May 9, 2012
kochi

Hi scott0,
This time i copy pasted the log above and got this error-server maintenance, is it usual should i try after sometime or so..

and this is the change made to host fine is it OK.

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
127.0.0.1 csmg.lgmobile.com

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:

mith13

May 9, 2012
kochi
Hi scott0,
This time i copy pasted the log above and got this error-server maintenance, is it usual should i try after sometime or so..

and this is the change made to host fine is it OK.

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
127.0.0.1 csmg.lgmobile.com

guyss need some help please..

mattman86

Oct 24, 2011
Vineyard
That *should* work. but, I've never had luck with just having a single space. It has only worked for me when i use a tab.

Also, do you still have the B2CAppSetup.exe application running?

JINXR

Mar 14, 2008
Can we UN-sticky the "Official" guide and make this one the official? That OP did some great work, but won't update the steps to help people avoid common problems (ie. rename the kdz file). If people started using this one instead, it would be more beneficial to the community.

Reactions: Flyview

JINXR

Mar 14, 2008
I tried to download this. but it told me 12 hours to download. wtf?

It's probably a big file because it contains 2 complete ROMS, plus other files.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

I tried to download this. but it told me 12 hours to download. wtf?

I just clicked on it. It's 804MB and I have 20 minutes left. Check your connection

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to Unbrick, Root, And Install CWM

Disclaimer: This guide is for your information only. I am not responsible for any further damage cause to your device by not following the guide correctly. Parts of this guide are based on the Unbricking guide produced by XDA member, Machzelet. Namely the Unbrick process.

NOTE: More people have had success using this guide on Windows XP than Windows 7.

Required Downloads
    • Nitro_Unbrick.zip (760.24MB) (Unzip to the location of your choice. 7zip is recommended.)

Notes Before You Start

Unbrick the Phone
    8. Click ‘OK’.
    9. Click ‘OK’.
    10. Click ‘OK’.
    12. Once logged in, run the exe in the ‘LGP930’ folder to ensure that the Nitro drivers are installed. (This should install all of the necessary drivers. However, if it does not, install the drivers in the sub-folder as well.)
    15. Click ‘Install’.
    22. Save the file.
    25. Run the file named “UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe” located in the ‘KDZ_FW_UPD_EN’ folder. (If you get errors, you may need to install msxml.msi.)
    30. Navigate to the “V10F_00.kdz” file in the root folder and click ‘OK’.
    40. Tap ‘Exit’.

Enable Root Rights
    3. Run the exe in the 'SuperOneClick' folder. (If you can't obtain root rights using this application, try Bin4ry's guides.)
    4. Follow the instruction given in the application.

Flash AT&T Stock ROM (2.3.5)
      Code:
      dd if=/sdcard/[COLOR="Magenta"]boot.img[/COLOR] of=/dev/block/[COLOR="Magenta"]mmcblk0p8[/COLOR]
      dd if=/sdcard/[COLOR="Orange"]recovery.img[/COLOR] of=/dev/block/[COLOR="Orange"]mmcblk0p13[/COLOR]
      dd if=/sdcard/[COLOR="Lime"]firmware.img[/COLOR] of=/dev/block/[COLOR="Lime"]mmcblk0p1[/COLOR]
      dd if=/sdcard/[COLOR="Cyan"]baseband.img[/COLOR] of=/dev/block/[COLOR="Cyan"]mmcblk0p14[/COLOR]
      dd if=/sdcard/[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]system.img[/COLOR] of=/dev/block/[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]mmcblk0p27[/COLOR]
    6. Replace the battery.

Install ClockWorkMod Recovery

Create A Recovery
    1. Turn off the phone.
    5. Tap ‘Backup’.

Restore Your Backup
    1. Pull the battery out.
    2. Replace the battery.
    8. Tap ‘Restore’.
    9. Choose your backup.
    That would be sweet. A jtag will cost me $80 plus shipping. My phone will not power on. Not even the buttons at the bottom light up. When I connect to a Windows 7 PC via USB (I have the proper LG drivers installed), the notification bubble in my system tray says: QHUSB_DLOAD instead of the LG Driver name you get after installation. I flashed a JB 4.1.2 custom ROM AND kernel clearly marked for another phone (i9100), and after a restart, I get a black screen. Bricked. Any help would be appreciated.

This guide won't be useful unless you can get to download mode.

No, this will take you into the Korean version. It is essentially the same as Machzelet's guide. I just clarified a few of the steps, added a different rooting method, and explained ClockWorkMod Recovery installation and backup/restore.
    nice, hopefully clears up the nuttiness that thread fell into. d'ling the zip now, well, i think i am, on another box.
    Yes I am I try:
    CDMA-Emergency
    I try all possible combinations

All I can recommend is trying the emergency mode with att firmware. When I was having trouble, this was the only firmware that would boot on my phone.