[TOOL/GUIDE] Full NV Backup and Restore [SIMPLE] [08-03-2012]

Search This thread

<:GeeK:>

Jul 14, 2011
www.UltimateFlasher.com
This is a simple and easy way to backup and restore your GS3's COMPLETE NV items which hold your IMEI, IMSI, Data settings and much more!

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Download NV reader/writer HERE and install THESE drivers.

2) Dial *#7284# and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "RMNET + DM + MODEM".

*If you are running a aosp rom (cm9,cm10,aokp etc) you can use the diag method described HERE

3) Create backup.

a) Click "port" in the top left and select your samsung serial port.
b) Make sure BOTH boxes in the top bar are checked.
c) Click "Connect" in the top bar.
d) Click "Read" in the top bar.
e) Click "Read" in the lower 'NV-items' section.
f) Save the .txt file, this is your backup

*The process will take 5-10min. The file size will be roughly 3mb and "inactive item" and "bad parameter" sections are normal.
*To restore click "Write" in the lower 'NV-items' section and navigate to your backup file.

4) Dial *#7284# and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "MTP + ADB".

Demonstration video HERE << Thanks to moonfire for the video.

IMEI ALREADY CORRUPT?

Use THIS custom built tool to easily generate a backup file with your properly formatted IMEI to restore your phone!

1) Enter your IMEI (find it behind your battery) in the text box up top, hit generate then hit save.

2) Use "NV-Item reader writer" to write the saved text file back to your phone and then reboot.

Capture-sgs3-imei-nv-gen.PNG

Me :p
cdma-ware
Peoplearmy
GerardAnthony
oriax123

Time and money have been invested into this project so donations are appreciated.

Donations: HERE

ATTENTION: I need a copy of someones full backup. Requirements are that you never flashed an AOSP rom (CM9, CM10, AOKP) and that your SGS3 is T-mobile. I need this to work on the data issue!
Update: The data issue is still being worked on and some progress has been made but there is still not a solid easy fix. IF YOU MADE A BACKUP THEN GOT THE DATA BUG, PLEASE MAKE A SECOND BACKUP SO THAT I CAN COMPARE THE BEFORE/AFTER!

Last edited:

tjb433

Mar 16, 2011
Is this for real? If it is then SWEET!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Spaceshiplll using xda premium

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011
I post question on T-mobile sectrion ... hre is my answer for one of question Second was do i need unsecre kernel tothis too work?

nunyabiziz

Jul 5, 2007
I have a fully stock att s3 and unable to write back to phone. Anyone can help with a pointer or two? I can read from phone but unable to write back. Also right before it write back to phone I do notice it shows offline for a quick second but does state it has successful wrote to phone.

I have a fully stock att s3 and unable to write back to phone. Anyone can help with a pointer or two? I can read from phone but unable to write back. Also right before it write back to phone I do notice it shows offline for a quick second but does state it has successful wrote to phone.

Why are you trying this on a bone stock phone? Did you lose your imei?

rgoyena

Oct 15, 2010
Has anybody restored a backup and worked?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 14, 2011
www.UltimateFlasher.com

If you are trying to write something other than your stock IMEI it will not work. Also, make sure you have both of the boxes checked before you hit the read button at the top so that is sends the 000000 security code to the phone and unlocks it.

*when i say unlock i do not mean carrier unlock, so dont get exited people. ;)

Reactions: prboy1969

Jul 14, 2011
www.UltimateFlasher.com
This is confirmed working and will back up your IMEI. :) If you are looking for a full NV backup please refer to my post here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1801997

Once againgreat work <:geek:>!!

DX

Thanks!

If you want a FULL backup just read the phone with the default values [Range (Dec): 00000-65535].

It is actually a more comprehensive and easily managed backup than what the old RF NV item manager in qpst offers.

The 00550 [hex 226] is just for the single item that handles the IMEI.

Reactions: Narcistic

Narcistic

Aug 19, 2011
Thanks!

If you want a FULL backup just read the phone with the default values [Range (Dec): 00000-65535].

It is actually a more comprehensive and easily managed backup than what the old RF NV item manager in qpst offers.

The 00550 [hex 226] is just for the single item that handles the IMEI.

^ Probably should update the OP with that.. As Im sure some will prefer A FULLL "just in case" backup, and others just the IMEI..
Always good to list the choices/options

iastonish

Mar 23, 2011
nyc
Flashed to smokins touch mii rom so I can run this, but when I click read it says Failed "connect to COM port before"

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Nvm, got it.

:D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a simple and easy way to backup and restore your GS3's COMPLETE NV items which hold your IMEI, IMSI, Data settings and much more!

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Download NV reader/writer HERE and install THESE drivers.

2) Dial *#7284# and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "RMNET + DM + MODEM".

*If you are running a aosp rom (cm9,cm10,aokp etc) you can use the diag method described HERE

3) Create backup.

a) Click "port" in the top left and select your samsung serial port.
    b) Make sure BOTH boxes in the top bar are checked.
    c) Click "Connect" in the top bar.
    d) Click "Read" in the top bar.
    e) Click "Read" in the lower 'NV-items' section.
    f) Save the .txt file, this is your backup

*The process will take 5-10min. The file size will be roughly 3mb and "inactive item" and "bad parameter" sections are normal.
    *To restore click "Write" in the lower 'NV-items' section and navigate to your backup file.

4) Dial *#7284# and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "MTP + ADB".

Demonstration video HERE << Thanks to moonfire for the video.

IMEI ALREADY CORRUPT?

Use THIS custom built tool to easily generate a backup file with your properly formatted IMEI to restore your phone!

1) Enter your IMEI (find it behind your battery) in the text box up top, hit generate then hit save.

2) Use "NV-Item reader writer" to write the saved text file back to your phone and then reboot.

Capture-sgs3-imei-nv-gen.PNG

Me :p
    cdma-ware
    Peoplearmy
    GerardAnthony
    oriax123

Time and money have been invested into this project so donations are appreciated.

Donations: HERE

ATTENTION: I need a copy of someones full backup. Requirements are that you never flashed an AOSP rom (CM9, CM10, AOKP) and that your SGS3 is T-mobile. I need this to work on the data issue!
    Update: The data issue is still being worked on and some progress has been made but there is still not a solid easy fix. IF YOU MADE A BACKUP THEN GOT THE DATA BUG, PLEASE MAKE A SECOND BACKUP SO THAT I CAN COMPARE THE BEFORE/AFTER!
    Well I opened another line on my account. Got another S3 today. Rooted the phone no trip for Rogers. Loaded Kyan Rom and Faux123 kernel. I did a full backup with PeopleArmy method as well as Geeks tool but did a full backup with default values. I then went and flashed DietICS rom and pulled the battery battery like he did while flashing. Got IMEI 0 :) I did a restore with his method and returned full data and everything :). I then borked the imei again and did Geeks tool and also returned to full functionality. Great job guys.
    +1 could really use the generator if anyone has a link... op's seems to be down

Here is a link for the IMEI Generator

http://d-h.st/vVV

Updated app in my thread will do data restore and IMEI injection all in one in case you guys are interested :)

DX
    Here is a direct link for the v1.4.6.0 drivers: http://db.tt/J5Qgyler

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    So I can basically do the same thing the other thread is doing(Full Backup) using this method but leaving the default values?

RF NV Item Manager should not be used to make backups :/ It's primary purpose is to read/write to sections of the NV or to transfer parts of the NV from one phone to another.

Backups in QPST should be made in Software Download.

Newer builds of QPST has the RF NV Item Manager app in the bin folder however Qualcomm prefers that we use QXDM because of what RF NV Item Manager is capable of flashing to phones QXDM is only available to phone techs.

The backup made in QPST is verified complete and has been tested to restore a phone that has had it's IMEI borked whether the 323 build is older or not is irrelevant in that it can restore the phone to functional state.

I would recommend either method or even both because losing your IMEI will result in complete lost of your phone's functionality. I have a backup using both methods for my own safety because of what I do with my phone.

I am also doing some things in CDMA Workshop as well which might prove useful to us with the IMEI issue. Unfortunately CDMA Workshop comes with a price tag so it may not be an option for everyone. There is however a demo that can be downloaded as well as a bunch of other tools that can be useful. :)

DX