Bricked my MyTouch? I hope not.

Search This thread

reppik5

Jul 14, 2013
Recently I posted a thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2363047&nocache=1 And he said that this forum wasnt the correct forum. So now I am posting here the exact thread hoping you guys can help me out with this. I havent touched my phone in a while and forgot a lot of the steps I took, I just remember what I put into this thread. So if anyone could help me out, that would be awesome.

Well recently I was trying to root my Mytouch 4g Slide and ACCORDING to this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1801106
All I had to do was flash the custom ROM as it would have the root already in there.
-6. ROOT YOUR DEVICE.-
Now that you have a custom recovery, you can flash custom ROMs. These custom ROMs are already rooted with Superuser and binary files.

NOTE: If you are S-ON, installing a custom ICS ROM will require an extra step in fastboot. You will have to extract the “boot.img” from the ROM and flash it with fastboot after installing the ROM in CWM recovery. More information from Limewirelord.

HOWEVER, if you want to root the STOCK ROM and/or continue to step 7 to achieve JuopunutBear S-OFF, you’ll have to root the device yourself. This is very simple. Download Superuser ZIP from androidsu.com/superuser. I can only recommend version 3.0.7 efgh because that is the only one I have tested, but newer versions may work.

Place the “Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed” on the ROOT of your SD card. Go to CWM Recovery and use “install zip from sdcard” to flash the Superuser zip. If installation aborts or fails the first time, try to flash the zip again until installation is complete. Reboot your phone and check in your apps to see if Superuser app is there. If so, congratulations, you have successfully rooted your stock MT4GS!

Which I did.
I was using this kids download tools to get the files I wanted. So I extracted the boot.img and used this tutorial to flash it for me.

THAN I ran a back up in clockwork. I haven't put the files on my SD card yet, I was just jumping ahead and was not prepared.
So I tried to go back to my phones regular state, but it is stuck on the "MyTouch 4G" splash pages, doesn't move what so ever.
I than grew worried about the phone, and thought I just bricked it or something. I am still able to get into Clockwork and do stuff in it. I tried to do a restore from my backup, didnt work. Tried wiping everything then do the backup, didnt work.
So I said, well maybe its because its a custom boot.img or something and it doesnt want to work? Luckily I had a old Mytouch 3G laying around so I could put stuff on my SD card.
So I put everything the kid provided from his mediafire folder and placed it into the root of my SD card. Switched over to the 4G and tried to install the packages.
The first was the ROM. At first it didnt work, it gave me an error:
Code:
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "glacier" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "glacier"

By googling the error, I come to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2250785

And a few posts down, a person writes this:
Step 1.Open the ROM.zip with winrar
Step 2.Found \META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script ,use Notepad open
Step 3.delete assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "p880" ||
getprop("ro.build.product") == "p880");
Step 4.OK,safe

I followed those steps, and it did work. It "Installed" this time.
I followed the rest of the steps until it got to the last package. When installing "grapefruit" my phones display shut off, and then when it went back on, I was back at the beginning of Clockwork. So I went and tried to install it again, and this time it gives me a (Status 0) error, with no other information.
I assumed that it was already installed or something, and it was just saying it is already installed.
I tried to reboot back to normal and I am still stuck where it says "Mytouch 4g"

So now I am on this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1844910
And there are the download links, I click on both of them to get this:
jB8bpV9.png

And now I am here. Cant find the download for this dang it file.

Anything helpful will be greatly appreciated.

-----

TL;DR: Im stuck at the "MyTouch 4g" splash page. I can get into CWM mod fine. It is S-ON. Halp.

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
You are lucky your phone still boots!
Do right now you have been trying to put software and firmware from the mytouch 4g onto the mytouch 4g slide, is this correct? Your phone has a keyboard and is made by HTC correct?
If so hopefully all you need to do is flash a proper recovery and then a ROM (and possible use fastboot to flash kernel)
Will you boot into your bootloader and write down every word line for line here

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Reactions: reppik5

reppik5

Jul 14, 2013
Do right now you have been trying to put software and firmware from the mytouch 4g onto the mytouch 4g slide, is this correct? Your phone has a keyboard and is made by HTC correct?
If so hopefully all you need to do is flash a proper recovery and then a ROM (and possible use fastboot to flash kernel)

*** UNLOCKED ***
DOUBLESHOT PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.45.0013
MICROP-0353
eMMC-boot
Nov 21 2011,20:20:47

I didnt realy understand your first question, sorry.
Yes It does have a keyboard, if its made by HTC, I have no clue. It says HTC on the back, but imsure all MyTouches are made by HTC.
I wrote what it said in the bootloader up there. CWM is installed but I dont know where to get the stock ROM nor do I know how to install it at this point.

Thanks again for your support.

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Not all mytouches are made by HTC
So go to the dev forum here, grab a proper recovery (there are a few to pick from)
Pick a ROM
Use fastboot to erase all
fastboot erase system -w
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase recovery

Now flash recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
(Replace recovery.img as needed)
Now boot to new recovery
Flash ROM (and gapps if needed)
Extract kernel from ROM you flashed
Reboot to bootloader and flash kernel
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot

This should fix your phone up, check the stickies in development and general section for more help
If you get really stuck feel free to ask
Best of luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

reppik5

Jul 14, 2013
So go to the dev forum here, grab a proper recovery (there are a few to pick from)
Pick a ROM
fastboot erase system -w
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase recovery

Now flash recovery
Now boot to new recovery
fastboot reboot

This should fix your phone up, check the stickies in development and general section for more help
Best of luck!

Would any ROM do? Is there any you recommend?

Im assuming since we are typing things in, we are doing this first part inside of cmdprompt on the computer.

Also can you give me more detailed steps for that last part? I dont fully understand the process.

Thanks again :angel:

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
I'm not in the business of recommending ROMs, but yes any will do if you follow the steps in previous post

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=41374534
Here's a guide on fastboot that should help you further. Be careful with your phone, too many people here rooting is amazing and all androids need to be rooted. Truth is too many people brick their phone because they aren't willing to do a little homework first. So please read up, if you don't understand something search for an answer, if your still confused then ask here

reppik5

Jul 14, 2013
Sorry for the late reply, I just got around to fixing this thing.

I tried to fastboot erase [cmd] But I keep on getting a FAILED (remote: not allowed).
So I ignored it and went on. I tried to flash "cm-10.2-20130810-UNOFFICIAL-doubleshot.zip" in Clockwork and I got a error:
(bad)
Installation aborted.

So I hit a wall again :eek:

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
I have a sneaking feeling the recovery you have is not meant for your phone, will fastboot allow you to flash the recovery (you don't have access to the erase commands I guess but hopefully you can flash a new recovery)
If so flash one that is in these my touch 4g slide forums (in the dev section) then wipe all, then flash this ROM in recovery
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25186914

reppik5

Jul 14, 2013
I have a sneaking feeling the recovery you have is not meant for your phone, will fastboot allow you to flash the recovery (you don't have access to the erase commands I guess but hopefully you can flash a new recovery)
If so flash one that is in these my touch 4g slide forums (in the dev section) then wipe all, then flash this ROM in recovery

I have tried to download the ROM from the thread you gave me, but I got a Server not Found error:
b5884fc7c32619ca9b5c51a83dfdb720.png

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Weekends has a mirror thread here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=30280777
Be sure to thank him
Make sure you download gingerbread version so you can skip flashing the kernel with fastboot (in other words only use a stock based ROM now until you get things working, no cm10 or 9, no pa, no anything but stock rooted ROM)

reppik5

Jul 14, 2013
Be sure to thank him
Make sure you download gingerbread version so you can skip flashing the kernel with fastboot (in other words only use a stock based ROM now until you get things working, no cm10 or 9, no pa, no anything but stock rooted ROM)

Sweet! I gained access to my phone again. :victory:

Im going to hold off on the idea of rooting for a while, going to get a little bit more educated on it before I try anything else. I thanked that guys post and Im about to thank your posts.

Cheers!

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
No need for the thanks, that's not why I help
FYI, if you followed these steps you are rooted and have a custom recovery and custom ROM (based off stock and much better)
But yes, stick with what you have for a while, research your phone a bit, read all the stickies in these threads, and before you do your next adventure read up, and feel free to ask questions. There are many talent people here always willing to help
Glad your up and running!

reppik5

Jul 14, 2013
I have this app that checks if I have root access, and it says I still do not. When I got the phone up and running, nothing seems to have changed from last time I used it. Was it supposed to be wiped?

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
well, tell me more about how you got your phone up and running
if you flashed the rom i told you to you should have root, if you did something else than i cant say for sure without some more info
1)what steps brought you alive
2)what does it say under settings>about phone

reppik5

Jul 14, 2013
well, tell me more about how you got your phone up and running
if you flashed the rom i told you to you should have root, if you did something else than i cant say for sure without some more info
1)what steps brought you alive
2)what does it say under settings>about phone

I got the ROM you told me to get. I extracted the boot.img and did the following in cmd prompt:
fastboot flash recovery boot.img

I went to the menus again and selected Recovery. It booted to my regular phone interface :highfive:

This is what it says under Settings>About:
Software (Which im pretty sure your looking for)
Version: 2.3.4
HTC Version: 3.0
Software #: 1.63.531.2 710RD
More:
Kernal: 2.6.35.13-gf3a1982
BaseBand: 11.59.3504.00U_11.16.35.04.20_2
Build #: 1.63.531.2 CL315903 release-keys

Now I am kinda thinking I should have done it to fastboot flash boot boot.img, should I? :confused:

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
You flashed the kernel you extracted from the ROM to your recovery partition and then all worked :confused:
If this was your exact steps I'm sorry to say but I'm as confused as you are...
In truth I never have thought to do such a thing, what I gather has happened is you have a stock ROM that never got wiped, you then flashed the kernel to this ROM into your recovery partition and then selected recovery and got the phone to just boot.... If this is all true I'm intrigued, I'll have to run some tests later as this may just be a sneaky way to fix borked partitions... Or a fluke, but I'm risky so I'll test and report back to see my findings....

Reactions: WeekendsR2Short

reppik5

Jul 14, 2013
You flashed the kernel you extracted from the ROM to your recovery partition and then all worked :confused:
If this was your exact steps I'm sorry to say but I'm as confused as you are...
In truth I never have thought to do such a thing, what I gather has happened is you have a stock ROM that never got wiped, you then flashed the kernel to this ROM into your recovery partition and then selected recovery and got the phone to just boot.... If this is all true I'm intrigued, I'll have to run some tests later as this may just be a sneaky way to fix borked partitions... Or a fluke, but I'm risky so I'll test and report back to see my findings....

This ROM to be exact:
0014a504138dd378e67713396f7cec93.png

Link: https://www.cx.com/mycx/share/jzvMU-erEeGfjBICOBql1A/MikTouch-0.7-signed.zip

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pick a ROM
    fastboot erase system -w
    fastboot erase boot
    fastboot erase recovery

Now flash recovery
    Now boot to new recovery
    fastboot reboot

Best of luck!

I'm not in the business of recommending ROMs, but yes any will do if you follow the steps in previous post

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=41374534
    Here's a guide on fastboot that should help you further. Be careful with your phone, too many people here rooting is amazing and all androids need to be rooted. Truth is too many people brick their phone because they aren't willing to do a little homework first. So please read up, if you don't understand something search for an answer, if your still confused then ask here

Be sure to thank him