Nexus 5 universal magnetic Qi Car Mount

Search This thread
Nov 11, 2010
The cable needs a low as possible resistance. But those cheep cables aren't looking at this. More follows these days after my exams

both don't look n1. Try to find 1/4"x1/8"x1/8". stupid inches ... or look for some in mm

that sounds really good. yeah the original cable is rocking :D

Yes I agree inches are stupid. What do you mean when you say n1? I can't find the right mm magnets that ship to the US

Craiq

Dec 26, 2011
Yes I agree inches are stupid. What do you mean when you say n1? I can't find the right mm magnets that ship to the US

n1 = nice ;)
you can try this page https://www.hkcm.de/expert.php
Looks really great with all information you might need! Found it after I had my magnets :/

You may try 8x4x3 blocks, when you use a bumper. 7x4x2.2 should also work good.

Just look for some that have around 7N force on FE (table), not higher than 3mm and two next to each other should be tiny bigger or same size than the metal plates with 6mm diameter.

I'm using 6x4x2 N45 magnets. They do a great job without the bumper. Used a little peace of the rubber for good a haptic.

Last edited:
Reactions: svetlik

my95z34

Apr 18, 2007
Wayne MI
Just a quick question that is slightly off topic, but since there is a lot of magnet discussion here, I figured it might be slightly appropriate.

Anyways, I'm wanting to add magnets to my desktop qi charger, but I don't want them to be super strong like the ones needed for inside a vehicle. Just strong enough to kind of keep the phone in the right spot. The charger I got is kind of cheap and is very finicky regarding phone placement.

Anybody care to chime in on what magnets I should get? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Craiq

Dec 26, 2011
Just a quick question that is slightly off topic, but since there is a lot of magnet discussion here, I figured it might be slightly appropriate.

Anyways, I'm wanting to add magnets to my desktop qi charger, but I don't want them to be super strong like the ones needed for inside a vehicle. Just strong enough to kind of keep the phone in the right spot. The charger I got is kind of cheap and is very finicky regarding phone placement.

in what position the phone should be hold?
vertical or do you need it just to align the phone on it horizontal?

Ano59

Mar 13, 2010

One of the most important question is : do you have a case ?

Anyways for your needs, it will be very easy to find appropriate magnets. I could even try to help you by testing those loads of magnets I got at home now. :p But I need to know : with or without a case. It's an huge difference.

EDIT : I got my newest magnets, I already tried some arrangements (without glue, only on the case). I could throw out some and keep 2 of them, I will do extended tests this weekend. I hope this time I'll finish this charger. ;) Even if the charger's case got too many holes now lol

Reactions: my95z34

my95z34

Apr 18, 2007
Wayne MI
One of the most important question is : do you have a case ?

Anyways for your needs, it will be very easy to find appropriate magnets. I could even try to help you by testing those loads of magnets I got at home now. :p But I need to know : with or without a case. It's an huge difference.

You're a lifesaver. I've got the Toast wooden case.

Thank you!

alogblog

May 11, 2011
Thanks for all in this thread

I've just finished my magnetic car dock.

I didn't check magnetic force carefully, just felt the strength and used that arragement.

Instead, I make a use of the arms of the mount. My arm of the mount doesnt clip the phone, it just hold the phone.

My last edition has bottom and right arms in the mount, so I can place the phone in landscape or portrait.

And owing to arms, magnetic force can be less strong.

Anyway, after some road(bumper) test, I will post my DIY and some various charging test result( different magnets and displacement)

Attachments

• IMG_20140305_181219.jpg
    IMG_20140305_181219.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 814

Ano59

Mar 13, 2010
Instead, I make a use of the arms of the mount. My arm of the mount doesnt clip the phone, it just hold the phone.
My last edition has bottom and right arms in the mount, so I can place the phone in landscape or portrait.
Haha I got the same chinese holder. The holder is good but the plastic surface where you can attach is doesn't hold it well.
However the suction is good on the windshield.

Roughly. I'd say 1-1.5. Somewhere in there.
I can't predict accurately how your phone will react to magnets with your case, but I can provide some guidelines with magnets and official bumper.

This magnet can hold the phone vertically with its official bumper (1mm thick). Not very firmly but if you don't touch the phone it stays held by magnets.
This magnet is stronger for holding vertically the phone with its bumper if you don't push it too much.

So 1/8" x 1/16" (3,175mm x 1,5875mm) cuboid magnets seem to be great with the phone's metal plates. I try to use the thickest magnets so they can hold the phone in a car, but you might want thinner magnets so you can put them easier in your horizontal charging surface. Please note that I only got those thicknesses : 1/32" (7,9375mm), 1/8" (3,175mm) and 3/16" (4,7625mm). I still didn't try 1/32" (7,9375mm) thickness alone but it may be too thin. Maybe 1/16" (1,5875mm) (N52) for your use ?

Anyways you should get 8 magnets and do something similar to this mount (4 x 2 magnets together).

brck

Feb 22, 2011
I really recommend this arrangement!

That are 8 6x4x2 magnets. It should be stronger and have less impact on the coil than those 10x2 magnets!
I'll be more present again after my exams and modify my op

Where can I buy these magnets, and are these the best option available in the opinion of the internets today? I'm searching for these on ebay and I'm coming up with nothing. Just larger 1/2" long magnets.

EDIT: I bet a lot of readers would love to know where to buy the N52 version of these magnets from sources that ship to the US.

Last edited:

brck

Feb 22, 2011
Where can I buy these magnets, and are these the best option available in the opinion of the internets today? I'm searching for these on ebay and I'm coming up with nothing. Just larger 1/2" long magnets.

EDIT: I bet a lot of readers would love to know where to buy the N52 version of these magnets from sources that ship to the US.

Bueller?

Craiq

Dec 26, 2011

try this page https://www.hkcm.de/expert.php?language=en
can't find suitable magnets in inches

Ano59

Mar 13, 2010
After 3 months I finally build what could be my final car charger with magnetic docking. :D
Sorry about the lack of news ; much work to do, issues to address...Joys of everyday life. ;)

I took many pictures and I will probably post a walkthrough later. Not before fully testing the charger in real use though (in my car on many road bumps). I hope this time it's actually finished.

EDIT : Seems like it's holding well even with big road bumps. I could have probably made it grip stronger by adjusting the height of Plasti-dip but, hell, it works, so I'll stop here. ;)
I'll post something about how I built it later when I'll have some free time. Before that I would also want to test it while charging (didn't do it ATM).

Last edited:

JCreazy

Jan 15, 2011
Missouri
If I used 16 5x2mm magnets on my charger, do you think it would hold? I guess I can always install magnets into my case but I would prefer not to.

giovanni645

Dec 9, 2009
Has anyone tried this method with the white nexus 5? I have many N42 magnets lying around - EP403A-ADH 10mm dia x 2mm NORTH N42 - NiCuNi plated which have a rated pull of 1.00kg.

What orientation and pattern do you suggest for the magnets? I have already purchased the Qi Charger from aliexpress for 10$.

giovanni645

Dec 9, 2009
Would this work, I haven't glued it yet SK can't test. I need to figure out how to fill in the gaps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398181169982.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398181169982.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 667

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I looked up a long time to find a magnetic Qi car charger, but couldn't find one.
    So i decided to built one on my own.

It's just an little adapter to connect a Qi Charger with an universal car mount and stick some magnets on it.

I'm not responsible for any damage to your phone or Qi Charger, or not working mounts!

What you need:
    - Qi Charger BC252W
    - Adapter
    - universal car mount
    - thin cardboard (500µm - normal for candy packing) or plasti dip
    - Magnets
    - superglue

All together about 70€

more about the Magnets:

the easiest setup with good strength should be 8 magnets of 6x4x2 mm.
    That's what I'm using atm without a bumper.

Because I don't have a bumper I can hardly tell which magnets will be the best for this. When I tried with a chipcard 8x4x3 mm looked pretty good, but didn't try the effects on the charging current.

The Adapter is 3D printed online at sculpteo and I published it there sculpteo and at shapeways.

That's how it looks like:
    attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

For mounting to the glas I used Car Mount 1. But you should be able to use any mount with this universal connection interface like Car Mount 2, Car Mount 3, Car Mount 4 or Car Mount 5

The new special thing is, that the Nexus 5 is build to fit with a magnetic interface on a Qi charger.
    Because of this there shouldn't be any problems with the magnetic field. While testing everything works fine.

Source: ifixit

How to build:

- get a flat screwdriver and remove the upper rubber of the Qi charger with the glue
    if you are using 2mm tall magnets stick the cardboard under the rubber. When using 1mm tall magnets the cardboard should placed under the magnets.
    - imagine a square and stick the magnets with your glue at the corner, so they look 1mm over the inner ring
    put some attention that an edge look to the micro usb port
    - cut the rubber in pieces so it fits between the magnets
    - stick the pieces with glue between the magnets
    - fit up the Qi charger on the adapter (if it's not strong enough use some glue and please tell me)

then it should look like:
    attachment.php

using this now for several month and it works great!!! fine charging and no drop (german streets)

Here is a video of how i shake it and how easy it is to mount and dismount!

If you like it, show it to me and spend a beer or two ;)

Edit:

Cheap Version:

didn't test on my own!

what you need:

- Qi Charger BC252W
    - superglue, maybe a powerstrip
    - universal car mount
    - magnets
    - thin cardboard (500µm - normal for candy packing)

All together about 40€

How to build:

- remove the upper rubber of the charger
    - stick the magnets to the Qi charger. For this imagine a square and stick them to the corners,
    so that the magnets look about 1mm over the inner ring
    - cut the rubber in pieces so they fit between the magnets
    - stick the rubber on the cardboard, and cut them off and stick them between the magnets
    - cut off the 4 hooks of the mount, so there is a plane surface
    - then stick the Qi charger with the powerstrip or with superglue to this plan surface
    that's really wonderful....really like the way you have utilized the things...good job man....:good:
    Nice mount !

I got 2 questions before I maybe try to do this :
    - Would this work with the official bumper case ?
    - I plan to use a NFC chip to activate several things when I put my phone in my car. The chip would be located on the car mount. Would the Qi + Magnets + NFC combo work together or should I expect some problems (I could workaround the need for the NFC chip on the car mount, but I'd prefer this chip on it)

BTW, that's the damn thing I was looking for everywhere without any success. If I manage to make it and get it working some day, you'll deserve a beer for sure. :D

I don't have a case, so I tried with a stack of two chip cards. The N45 8x2 magnets are to weak to hold your phone secure, but when I receive the N52 8x1 I'll try again, cause they are much more stronger.

The range of the charger is about 1cm and the range of a NFC card is 3cm. When Qi gets enabled it will disable NFC, but when you don't move to fast, it will first recognize the NFC tag first and later the Qi charger.

BTW, that's the damn thing I was looking for everywhere without any success. If I manage to make it and get it working some day, you'll deserve a beer for sure. :D

EDIT : Third question, about the BC252W, which I didn't know before. I could see that it uses a 1,5 A current which seems good. However, do you know if it keeps the phone charged once the battery is 100% full ? I could not find the answer.

Thanks in advance.

I also couldn't fine, so i decided to build one :D

Qi is a charging standard, so it should not depend on the device and from what I see it holds the 100% better then my original charger
    My car mount only offers a 1" rubber ball ("B" size), like the one on this product.

I could maybe find an adaptator, but I wonder if it would be possible for me to alter the 3D model of your adapter to make such a "B" size ball protrude instead of those little holes, without making it breakable. I haven't got any skills in 3D modeling...

Here it is:
    sculpteo
    shapeways

But you should coat the ball with some anti slip painting.
    Edit: Just saw another thread and they are using Plasti Dip
    And I don't need to say, that it's not tested :)

So if you like it... ;)
    Here it is:
    sculpteo
    shapeways

But you should coat the ball with some anti slip painting.
    Edit: Just saw another thread and they are using Plasti Dip
    And I don't need to say, that it's not tested :)

So if you like it... ;)

That's exactly what I needed. :good: Thanks !!
    I ordered most parts already, when I get them, I'll try to build this DIY device.

If I manage to make it work, I'll probably post my own pictures of the process, along with the beer. ;)