[ROM][KERNEL][DEV][JB][4.1.2][SGH-I757M]UNOFFICIAL SlimBean JB 4.1.2 FOR Bell SGH-I757M

Search This thread

titanic_fanatic

Sep 21, 2012
Calgary
[ROM][KERNEL][DEV][JB][4.1.2][SGH-I757M]UNOFFICIAL SlimBean JB 4.1.2 FOR Bell SGH-I757M

SlimBean JB 4.1.2 for Canadian Samsung Galaxy S2 HD LTE (SGH-I757M)

Code:
[COLOR="red"][B][SIZE="4"]*** Disclamer ***[/SIZE][/B]

THIS ROM IS FOR THE CANADIAN SGH-I757M ONLY... DO NOT FLASH IT ON ANOTHER DEVICE!

By flashing this ROM, you are voiding your phones warranty (Unless you return it
to complete stock which is possible, but beyond the scope of this thread). You
also agree that I will in no way be held responsible in the event that your
device becomes bricked (Not likely to happen). In addition, you are responsible
to take the necessary backups of your apps, data, sms, contacts, calendar events, etc.

If you agree, then please continue on ;)[/COLOR]

NEW RELEASE INFORMATION
The latest release is finally up. Build 20130831-1335. Released September 1, 2013. See the change log for changes in this build.

Introduction
SlimBean is a ROM developed by the SlimRoms team. It's built on CM (which is derived from AOSP). In addition to being a minimalistic build (only about 120MB zip), it incorporates features found in CM, AOKP and Paranoid Android. Among the notable features are finer control over the aesthetics of the UI and performance tweaks scripts included for running at boot (universal init.d app from play store required).

Images

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

What Works

* Phone
* Wi-Fi
* Mobile
* GPS
* Bluetooth
* SMS/MMS
* Data Usage
* Camera/Camcorder
* BLN Notification
* init.d only supported via third party app Universal init.d from the market. Used for startup tweak scripts.

What Doesn't Work

* We do not get voicemail notification and never have since our first custom Rom. There is a solution that is undocumented. I will try to contact the developers who are said to have applied this fix to see if I can get some insight into fixing this for our ROMs
* While in camera app, selecting:

Settings -> Restore Defaults -> Settings = Force Close

Restarting the app clears the issue.
* BLN does not turn on when screen is activated. Only after a 6 seconds timeout, and also works for BLN notification.
* init.d does not work. Use Universal init.d from the market to imitate this behavior to enable the startup tweaks.
* YouTube video overlay only works with hw overlays disabled (requires developer options to be on).

Installation instructions
1) Download the Rom and Gapps
2) Enter CWM
3) TAKE A NANDROID BACKUP
4) Wipe Data/Factory Reset
5) Format Cache
6) Advanced -> Format Dalvik Cache
7) Flash the ROM
8) Flash the Gapps
9) Reboot Phone

Download
Build: 20130831-1335 (Latest)
ROM: Slim-3.1.0-i757m-20130831-1335-UNOFFICIAL.zip (89.6MB)
GAPPS: Gapps-Slim-3.1.0-i757m-20130831.zip (106.2MB)

* The download can now also be found here on XDA. Use the "Download" tab at the top of the page to access both direct download or torrent download of this ROM.

Build: 20130824-0545
ROM: Slim-3.1.0-i757m-20130824-0545-UNOFFICIAL.zip (122MB)
GAPPS: Gapps-Slim-3.1.0-i757m-20130824.zip (83MB)

Tips and Tricks
Checkout the second post fire some tips and tricks on setting up the ROM.

Changelog
Code:
[B]August 31, 2013 - Build 20130831-1335[/B]
* Rebuilt kernel to enable the necessary modules for Data Usage
* Fixed Yahoo Weather API to enable weather on the lockscreen
* Fixed MMS bug that wouldn't allow an MMS picture to be downloaded. (This may have broken the Group Messing feature implemented by SlimBean
* Applied a fix to the media provider which should speed up initial media scanning by optimizing the calls to the sqlite db. This may also have a positive impact on battery usage, but would be very smalland missy likely unnoticeable
* The random reboots seem to have been fixed by adding the data usage modules to the kernel. Let me know if this has not resolved the random reboots for you

[B]August 24, 2013 - Build 20130824-0545[/B]
*Initial release

FAQ

Thanks To/Credits
Code:
* CyanogenMod Team - ROM Base
* SlimRoms Team - ROM

Without all of the hard work and efforts of the two teams mentioned above, this ROM would not be possible, so we owe them or thanks for providing us with such excellent ROMs.

In addition, I have received a lot of help on my journey to understand and be able to develop for the android platform, so I owe the following people my thanks for helping me to make this ROM possible.

*   [user=673068]@dsixda[/user] - Initial port of CM9/CM10 for SGH-I757M
*   [user=4974935]@Strange Peer[/user] - Continued development of CM10
*   [user=3478918]@rukusx7[/user] - Contributor
*   [user=4435341]@bijon440[/user] - Contributor
*   [user=4036181]@kj2112[/user] - Contributor
*   [user=5077807]@Tronith[/user] - Contributor
*   [user=3651088]@Zippy Dufus[/user] - Contributor

Thanks guys you've all been so awesome to work with ;)

One last group of people to thank. It's YOU! Without all of you guys and girls who come to download our creations, there would be no reward for doing this. Thank you for downloading, providing feedback and being part of this small family. You are all appreciated ;)

XDA:DevDB Information
UNOFFICIAL SlimBean JB 4.1.2 FOR Bell SGH-I757M, a ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
titanic_fanatic
ROM OS Version: 4.1.x Jelly Bean
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
ROM Firmware Required: SGH-I757M
Based On: SlimBean

Version Information

Created 2013-09-08
Last Updated 2013-11-29

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 8,670
  • screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 8,568
  • screenshot3.jpg
    screenshot3.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 8,551
  • screenshot4.jpg
    screenshot4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 8,485
  • screenshot5.jpg
    screenshot5.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 8,431
  • screenshot6.jpg
    screenshot6.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 8,402
Last edited:

titanic_fanatic

Sep 21, 2012
Calgary
Tips & Tricks

Tips & Tricks

The following list of tips & tricks should help you setup your new SlimBean ROM for daily use.

Network Setup - Wi-Fi

1) Go to System Settings -> Wireless & Network -> Wireless -> Settings -> Advanced
2) Turn off "Network notification" (Helps save battery)
3) Set "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to "Never" (Helps save battery, but uses more data)
4) Turn on "Avoid poor connections" (Helps save battery by not constantly trying to connect to a network with poor signal strenth)
5) Go back to System Settings -> Wireless & Network -> More
6) Disable NFC unless you have the required battery case to make it work.
7) Click on "Mobile Networks".
8) Select "Network Mode" and choose "LTE/GSM/WCDMA"
9) Click on "Access Point Names"
10) Choose "Bell Flex"

Automatic Backlight Settings

XDA Senior member rukusx7 has graciously contributed his custom automatic backlight values and they have been built into the ROM. To use them, follow the steps below:

1) Go to System Settings -> ROM -> Interface -> Display -> Automatic Backlight
2) Check "Enabled"

Voicemail Settings

Bell provides us with a national voicemail number which is a free call from anywhere in Canada. This is great if you are travelling and would like to check your voicemail. Follow the steps below to set the national voicemail for speed dial #1:

1) Go to Phone app -> Menu -> Settings -> Other Call Settings -> Voicemail -> Setup -> Voicemail Number
2) Set the voicemail number to the following: +16473832355
3) Go back to Call Settings -> Other Call Settings -> Additional Settings -> My Phone Number
4) Set your number to +1xxxxxxxxxx... Remember to precede your number with +1.

Youtube/Video Overlays

You may notice that the video controls do not display on top of the video in youtube and other related players. To fix this, just go to System Settings -> Developer Options, enable Developer Options, and check "Disable HW overlays". This setting needs to be enabled every time the phone reboots.

Media Scanner

Media scanner is an app that runs in the background everytime the phone boots up. It looks for changes and updates to your media files (audio, video and picture). You should let the media scanner run for at least 30 mins to an hour after a fresh ROM install depending on how much media you have on your internal/external sdcard. After this is done once, it's not really necessary for it to run all the time if your media rarely changes. Allowing media scanner to run only consumes your battery. You can, however, control the behaviour of the media scanner and stop it from scanning. You would use an app from the market called "Rescan Media". This small app has two functions, disable media scanner and enable media scanner. To disable your media scanner, just open the app and press disable and the media scanner will be disabled until next boot. Yes, you must do this everytime you boot your phone.

Saving Battery

There are a couple of other tricks that can be used to save battery.

1) Google Play Services is notorious as a consumer of your battery. To stop him from consuming all your battery power, open the Google Play app then go to Settings and disable "Notifications" and "Automatic Updates". This will stop the Play Store app from "checking in" and will help to conserve battery. Remember that you will no longer get notifications of updates to your apps, so you will need to remember to look for these updates yourself by opening the Play Store app then press Menu -> My Apps.
2) Social Media apps are huge consumers of battery as they are constantly checking for updates to your account. This behaviour can usually be changed to suit your needs on a per app basis, but in the case of Facebook, I recommend disabling notifications entirely as it is one of the worst consumers of battery. Disabling Facebook notifications will surely increase your battery by a few percentage points.

Last edited:
Reactions: manfromgta

Tronith

Jan 20, 2013
Thornhill
Great. I'm loading now. I'll install it in the afternoon, but I'll do a full test of operation tomorrow. I want to see how well the battery works. :) great job!

Sent from my SGH-I757M using xda premium

Reactions: titanic_fanatic
D

Darth

Great job TF.....this phone has had so few roms.....and now it has slim. That's a huge boost!!!

Unfortunately our i757m is now my 4 year old daughters for games and Netflix.....but I will flash this when I can. Just won't be able to comment on phone or texts. It has no carrier. But I'll report my experience with other things.

Thanks for your hard work!! ;)

Sent from my cell phone telephone using some sort of app...

Arodg25

Oct 3, 2012
surrey
Thanks a lot. I'm glad to see something done with this phone. I've only had it a week, my beloved i9100 no longer turns on:'( and as a flash-a-holic I'm going through withdrawals. I'm going to the PNE today so I'll flash this when I get home. Thanks again.

Sent from my SGH-I757M using xda app-developers app

jonnyjb

May 8, 2011
Calgary
Super awesome mate great job,I will install this on my wife's phone tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

danrobi

Jul 3, 2013
Shawinigan
Great work titanic, you give our phone a second, a third and now a fourth life. Thanks! :)

FuryriderX

Aug 11, 2010
Stoney Creek, ON
Installed just a few minutes ago, first impressions - holy wow it feels like my phone is actually smooth again! Will report back after a bit with more impressions.

Wiped everything, clean install.

Thank you thank you thank you!!

Majortom420

Jan 10, 2011
What are the main advantages or differences between your rom and dadoes?
Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk 2

titanic_fanatic

Sep 21, 2012
Calgary
What are the main advantages or differences between your rom and dadoes?
Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk 2

The main difference world be in the size. The slim Roms are intended to be minimalistic and therefore seen to run pretty fast.

The slim Roms also incorporate features from paranoid android for example where you can force a tablet UI, or change your resolution (without editing your build.prop.

Other features include system tweaks which are supposed to run at boot, but init.d is still not working. I'll get it working though. I need to update the kernel as this one is 3.0.4.9.

I'll post the whole feature list later on when I have Chance to clean up the OP ;)

Sent from my SGH-I757M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Majortom420

Tronith

Jan 20, 2013
Thornhill
Just finished setting up the rom on my phone the way I like it. Tomorrow I'll test how the battery works before I use trickster mod. So far though everything seems like it's working great.
Because you already stated that your camera app isn't working I replaced it with one that I like and allows saving into external storage.

titanic_fanatic

Sep 21, 2012
Calgary
Just finished setting up the rom on my phone the way I like it. Tomorrow I'll test how the battery works before I use trickster mod. So far though everything seems like it's working great.
Because you already stated that your camera app isn't working I replaced it with one that I like and allows saving into external storage.

This one does work, it only fc's when you use the reset settings button. It also has the option to save to external storage ;)

I should get the repo for strange too as he could incorporate it into his Rom as well since I think it's the best camera we've had so far. All video settings seem to work including 1080 and picture resolutions.

neptune_

Sep 1, 2012

Do you have a link to this camera app and install instructions also please?

bijon440

Jan 12, 2012
Brantford
Great rom. I am experiencing significant lag mainly on screen transition using tsf shell. I've bumped up the min frequency of the CPU to 432 but that didn't do much. Using interactive governor and deadline as i/o scheduler. Any suggestions for a bit of a speed boost for that buttery feel? All in all everything works great, no random reboots nor fc's. Great work TF!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    And who said persistence and patience doesn't pay off ;)

Well, I took another crack at 4.2.2 and guess what, here is a screenshot of the bring up of SlimBean 4.2.2 for the SGH-I757M.

The method I used to get it to work should be usable also for 4.3, but haven't tried yet. Currently audio does not work and causes the phone app to force close and the refresh rate is all screwed up. So there are things that need to be fixed. Oddly though, the capacitive lights seem to work perfectly without having applied our special patch for BLN. Cool.

SlimBean JB 4.1.2 for Canadian Samsung Galaxy S2 HD LTE (SGH-I757M)

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B][SIZE="4"]*** Disclamer ***[/SIZE][/B]

THIS ROM IS FOR THE CANADIAN SGH-I757M ONLY... DO NOT FLASH IT ON ANOTHER DEVICE!

By flashing this ROM, you are voiding your phones warranty (Unless you return it
    to complete stock which is possible, but beyond the scope of this thread). You
    also agree that I will in no way be held responsible in the event that your
    device becomes bricked (Not likely to happen). In addition, you are responsible
    to take the necessary backups of your apps, data, sms, contacts, calendar events, etc.

If you agree, then please continue on ;)[/COLOR]

NEW RELEASE INFORMATION
    The latest release is finally up. Build 20130831-1335. Released September 1, 2013. See the change log for changes in this build.

Introduction
    SlimBean is a ROM developed by the SlimRoms team. It's built on CM (which is derived from AOSP). In addition to being a minimalistic build (only about 120MB zip), it incorporates features found in CM, AOKP and Paranoid Android. Among the notable features are finer control over the aesthetics of the UI and performance tweaks scripts included for running at boot (universal init.d app from play store required).

Images

What Works

* Phone
    * Wi-Fi
    * Mobile
    * GPS
    * Bluetooth
    * SMS/MMS
    * Data Usage
    * Camera/Camcorder
    * BLN Notification
    * init.d only supported via third party app Universal init.d from the market. Used for startup tweak scripts.

What Doesn't Work

* We do not get voicemail notification and never have since our first custom Rom. There is a solution that is undocumented. I will try to contact the developers who are said to have applied this fix to see if I can get some insight into fixing this for our ROMs
    * While in camera app, selecting:

Settings -> Restore Defaults -> Settings = Force Close

Restarting the app clears the issue.
    * BLN does not turn on when screen is activated. Only after a 6 seconds timeout, and also works for BLN notification.
    * init.d does not work. Use Universal init.d from the market to imitate this behavior to enable the startup tweaks.
    * YouTube video overlay only works with hw overlays disabled (requires developer options to be on).

Installation instructions
    1) Download the Rom and Gapps
    2) Enter CWM
    3) TAKE A NANDROID BACKUP
    4) Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    5) Format Cache
    6) Advanced -> Format Dalvik Cache
    7) Flash the ROM
    8) Flash the Gapps
    9) Reboot Phone

Download
    Build: 20130831-1335 (Latest)
    ROM: Slim-3.1.0-i757m-20130831-1335-UNOFFICIAL.zip (89.6MB)
    GAPPS: Gapps-Slim-3.1.0-i757m-20130831.zip (106.2MB)

* The download can now also be found here on XDA. Use the "Download" tab at the top of the page to access both direct download or torrent download of this ROM.

Build: 20130824-0545
    ROM: Slim-3.1.0-i757m-20130824-0545-UNOFFICIAL.zip (122MB)
    GAPPS: Gapps-Slim-3.1.0-i757m-20130824.zip (83MB)

Tips and Tricks
    Checkout the second post fire some tips and tricks on setting up the ROM.

Changelog
    Code:
    [B]August 31, 2013 - Build 20130831-1335[/B]
    * Rebuilt kernel to enable the necessary modules for Data Usage
    * Fixed Yahoo Weather API to enable weather on the lockscreen
    * Fixed MMS bug that wouldn't allow an MMS picture to be downloaded. (This may have broken the Group Messing feature implemented by SlimBean
    * Applied a fix to the media provider which should speed up initial media scanning by optimizing the calls to the sqlite db. This may also have a positive impact on battery usage, but would be very smalland missy likely unnoticeable
    * The random reboots seem to have been fixed by adding the data usage modules to the kernel. Let me know if this has not resolved the random reboots for you

[B]August 24, 2013 - Build 20130824-0545[/B]
    *Initial release

FAQ

Thanks To/Credits
    Code:
    * CyanogenMod Team - ROM Base
    * SlimRoms Team - ROM

Without all of the hard work and efforts of the two teams mentioned above, this ROM would not be possible, so we owe them or thanks for providing us with such excellent ROMs.

In addition, I have received a lot of help on my journey to understand and be able to develop for the android platform, so I owe the following people my thanks for helping me to make this ROM possible.

*   [user=673068]@dsixda[/user] - Initial port of CM9/CM10 for SGH-I757M
    *   [user=4974935]@Strange Peer[/user] - Continued development of CM10
    *   [user=3478918]@rukusx7[/user] - Contributor
    *   [user=4435341]@bijon440[/user] - Contributor
    *   [user=4036181]@kj2112[/user] - Contributor
    *   [user=5077807]@Tronith[/user] - Contributor
    *   [user=3651088]@Zippy Dufus[/user] - Contributor

Thanks guys you've all been so awesome to work with ;)

One last group of people to thank. It's YOU! Without all of you guys and girls who come to download our creations, there would be no reward for doing this. Thank you for downloading, providing feedback and being part of this small family. You are all appreciated ;)

XDA:DevDB Information
    UNOFFICIAL SlimBean JB 4.1.2 FOR Bell SGH-I757M, a ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
    titanic_fanatic
    ROM OS Version: 4.1.x Jelly Bean
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    ROM Firmware Required: SGH-I757M
    Based On: SlimBean

Version Information

Created 2013-09-08
    Last Updated 2013-11-29
    More excellent news. I just got a response from the dev who is managing cm10.1/cm10.2 on the shv-e120l the Korean variant that shares our display. He says that he has the display working well on 10.2, but not so well on 10.1. I've asked how he's managed this. His method should work exactly the same for us :D

Well, the graphics in 10.1 just aren't what they should be, so I decided to go back to 10.2. We have boot, display, Wi-Fi and radio. I haven't tested GPS yet but believe that it's not working. The gapps are force closing right now uncontrollably which is what I'm working on at the moment.

We're very close I think. The issue with the gapps force closing is due to /cache/dalvik-cache not being writable. I think this particular error is misleading and has another cause other than the cache directory actually not being writable since changing the items manually didn't resolve the issue. I believe this may have been an issue with compilation, so I cleaned my build directory and am starting this one from scratch.

On another note, I did get to run the system a bit and run some benchmarks. The benchmarks are right on par with our other cm versions, but the actual playing of video is so much smoother than before.

Here's a screenshot teaser of the bring up of cm10.2 (Android 4.3 with SEAndroid and privacy manager) for the SGH-I757M ;)

10.2 is going fairly well. I've been using it all day and have no reboots. Mobile data, WiFi, Bluetooth, bln, VM notification, sms and audio all work. Most of the sensors are not yet working so it doesn't auto rotate the screen and screen doesn't turn on after you pull it away from your face (due to sensors not working), also, GPS isn't working. Benchmark is good though.

I'm going to try using the sensor libs from the skyrocket. And need to figure out how to extend the cache partition.

EDIT:

Almost forgot, YouTube overlays work without issue as well...