[Q] Phone locks up and restarts with navigation - overheat it seems?

Search This thread

iivisionii

Apr 30, 2010
I've been noticing this problem increase over the past few months. It started when I used navigation over longer trips like an hour. The phone would all of a sudden stop responding and then just restart. I noticed its really hot when this happens so I figure it's overheating. Recently it even happens on short trips.

I'm using triforce rom 3.1 which uses agat's kernel. I have not noticed any other restart or crashing issues aside from when I use navigation. I find it important to mention that this all occurs even if the phone is not plugged in or charging.

Has anyone else noticed something like this?

I thought about taking it to sprint since i have tep, but I figure they will either just tell me it's my fault since it's a custom rom or just offer to format the phone like they do with every other problem.

Any ideas are appreciated.

chris-allen

Jun 22, 2012
Not an expert, but sounds KERNAL related....try a differant kernal...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Free mobile app

iivisionii

Apr 30, 2010
Not an expert, but sounds KERNAL related....try a differant kernal...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Free mobile app

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to find one that still works with my older version of the rom. If nothing else, I may just wait until I have a little more time and use a new or different rom all together and see if that makes a difference.

iivisionii

Apr 30, 2010
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to find one that still works with my older version of the rom. If nothing else, I may just wait until I have a little more time and use a new or different rom all together and see if that makes a difference.

I just wanted to follow up and see if anyone had more suggestions or a specific kernel to try. I tried 3 different ones with the following results:
KT-SGS4-JB4.2-TW-SPR-02.20.2014 - No navigation reboots, started rebooting randomly otherwise
AGAT_GS4_v0.5.1 - Still reboots/overheats during navigation
AGAT_GS4_v0.5.2 - Still reboots/overheats during navigation

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
Stock. I've never had good luck on custom kernels going back to the S2 (the same devs as currently).

Really, my devices have always ran worse and with significant issues, including the one you are describing.

If that's not an option, play with the governor settings, remove any overclock, and try other ROMs.