Any tips on how to install swype beta?

Search This thread

Varlokkur

Sep 20, 2012
I desperately miss swype... even with this larger keyboard, I can type faster on my phone because it has swype.
Anyway, I have followed the directions for installing some Google apps without root, and I side loaded dropbox successfully. I am waiting / hoping for a backup method before I try rooting, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone has succeeded in installing swype on their device, root or no?

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
Installing swype has crossed my mind, but I have not done it yet on the KFHD. I did it with the KF 1st gen and it required rooting and it could get a little messy but once it was up and running, it wasn't a problem. I actually used SlideIT keyboard but right now the stock keyboard is a little pleasing so I haven't switched.

anastasis96

Sep 14, 2012
Installing swype has crossed my mind, but I have not done it yet on the KFHD. I did it with the KF 1st gen and it required rooting and it could get a little messy but once it was up and running, it wasn't a problem. I actually used SlideIT keyboard but right now the stock keyboard is a little pleasing so I haven't switched.
that was relly helpfull

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
I am revising this post on how I got swype beta installed and working on KFHD, the original KF method is not working since amazon locked out the ability to swap keyboards. This requires your device to be rooted

1) Sign up for Swype Beta on their website and download their installer on your KFHD.

2) Install the Installer APK and Log in

3) Select your Beta version and download

4) Install swype

5) Go to data/apps and move swype apk to system/apps and make sure permissions are rw-r-r

6) Install NookColorTools_0.2.apk found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=868366 Link courtesy of timurg

6) Reboot

7) Open NookColorTools and you will be able to select your keyboard. IF you keep getting a Force Close message, just dismiss, go back to system/apps and reinstall swype and force close should stop

8) Enjoy

I was also able to get this method to work with SlideIT keyboard.

Last edited:

Varlokkur

Sep 20, 2012
So I installed swype beta, as well as nook tools... but when I try to enable swype in its app, it takes me to the default screen for co figuring the built in keyboard. The keyboard selection button in nook tools only lists the default option. Do I need to move the swype apk to system/apps ? If so, can anyone recommend a file manager that will allow me to access that dir without root?
Thanks!

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
Yes, you have to move apk to the system folder. And no, you can't do this without root.

Sent from my KFHD

I did a few installs of swype trying to figure out the cleanest install, as you don't need to move any lib files in your linked post and even though it appeared all the files were removed for another clean install, it still showed up without being in my system/app folder. I will fix my post.

Last edited:

Varlokkur

Sep 20, 2012
Swype Beta has closed

So I rooted my device in order to try again to get Swype installed. I followed your instructions, however immediately after enabling Swype Beta in the Nook color tools, I get a message that Swype Beta has closed. This repeats every few seconds. Is this the force close error you mentioned? What do you mean by "go back to system/apps and reinstall swype"? I tried deleting the swype-input apk from system/apps and reinstalling the swype beta apk, but it led to the same result. Any advice?

Varlokkur

Sep 20, 2012
Nevermind -- figured it out

OK, so I tried moving the *installer* apk to system/app (using RootExplorer), then launching said apk (using file expert). Enabled swype in nook color tools and now it's working! hurray!

Melodycd

Jul 13, 2012
So, I did install Swype and several other keyboards to check. They all work good in portrait mode. But in landscape mode, the navigation bar closes a part of keyboard. The same happens to all keyboards I tried: Swype, Go keyboard, Swift keyboard. Did Anybody had the same problem?

timurg

May 27, 2007
North Potomac, MD
So, I did install Swype and several other keyboards to check. They all work good in portrait mode. But in landscape mode, the navigation bar closes a part of keyboard. The same happens to all keyboards I tried: Swype, Go keyboard, Swift keyboard. Did Anybody had the same problem?

Yes, I have the same problem. As a partial solution - Smart Keyboard Pro has an option to show arrows on the left edge, so the navigational panel closes arrows and not interferes with the letter block of keyboard.

Reactions: Melodycd

no99sqrd

Jan 2, 2011
Swype Default from Swype Installer

Got it installed thanks for the tips! The odd thing is when I downloaded the Swype installer and installed it, it gave me the option right from the Swype page to set as default keyboard and set preferences. I installed Nook Tools before I downloaded Swype (I obviously can't follow directions:laugh:), but didn't need to go into it to set the keyboard. Like I said the option to set as default keyboard was in the Swype installer app. Works great - vastly improves my chances of sticking with the KFHD!

I have only tried it in Portrait mode, so can't comment on the Landscape issues (I use my KFHD in Portrait mode about 90% of the time).

Last edited:

mdecker2626

May 10, 2011
I am revising this post on how I got swype beta installed and working on KFHD, the original KF method is not working since amazon locked out the ability to swap keyboards. This requires your device to be rooted

1) Sign up for Swype Beta on their website and download their installer on your KFHD.

4) Install swype

5) Go to data/apps and move swype apk to system/apps and make sure permissions are rw-r-r

6) Install NookColorTools_0.2.apk found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=868366 Link courtesy of timurg

6) Reboot

7) Open NookColorTools and you will be able to select your keyboard. IF you keep getting a Force Close message, just dismiss, go back to system/apps and reinstall swype and force close should stop

8) Enjoy

Worked perfectly for me, thank you.

wrexhamafc

Dec 22, 2008
It all worked perfectly for me, thank you!

Anyone worked out how to fix the hidden part of the keyboard in landscape view?

Thanks!

Last edited:

jacewt

Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles
I got Swype working by installing it then using titanium backup to convert it to system app. I then used nook color tools to choose it as the keyboard. No problems. Well, except for the landscape issue.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mrkhigh

kokonai

Oct 6, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
So I rooted my device in order to try again to get Swype installed. I followed your instructions, however immediately after enabling Swype Beta in the Nook color tools, I get a message that Swype Beta has closed. This repeats every few seconds. Is this the force close error you mentioned? What do you mean by "go back to system/apps and reinstall swype"? I tried deleting the swype-input apk from system/apps and reinstalling the swype beta apk, but it led to the same result. Any advice?

The same on me with Perfect keyboard.
With all steps repeated 10 times ... after first FC reinstall Perfect KBD from system/app. Everithing is OK till next reboot....again FC.

Last time I have tried to copy so lib in system/lib, but no progres - after restart the result is FC.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

4) Install swype

6) Reboot

8) Enjoy

Yes, I have the same problem. As a partial solution - Smart Keyboard Pro has an option to show arrows on the left edge, so the navigational panel closes arrows and not interferes with the letter block of keyboard.
    I got Swype working by installing it then using titanium backup to convert it to system app. I then used nook color tools to choose it as the keyboard. No problems. Well, except for the landscape issue.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2