★ |[How-To]| EffortLess Guide | NK3 | | Flashing | | Rooting | | Recovery | 26NOV14 ★

Search This thread

Megaflop666

May 17, 2014
Insanity
woot!

Worked like a charm, had to do the long process because baseband didn't take the first time, but everything is working perfectly and reporting NF1, so i'm doing a nandroid now and heading off to get all this annoying TMo crap off my phone again.

I hit "Thanks", but i'm thanking you again here! :highfive:

universed

Jun 22, 2004
Bali
Bigtime thanks

Thanks for this, like others have said you have made it SOOOOOOO simple, clear and easy to do this upgrade....

JawjaBill

Aug 15, 2010
Atlanta
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
My pre-NF1 setup was custom ROM & Kernal. After the initial ODIN, I had a Frankenstein mix of the custom Rom and Stock NF1. I ended up doing a battery pull + factory reset and was able to continue through the rest of the guide without any problems. NF1 in the house!

Last edited:

Carlos6862

Apr 27, 2008
Culiacán, Sin.
Excuse me effortless!!
Can I use this method to upgrade my bootloader in phone Note 3 N900W8 (Telcel México), I´m root and wanna put it EffortLess Rom V6.
Actually bootloader is N900W8UBUCNA2
Thanks my friend!!

effortless

Feb 11, 2007
Philadelphia
Excuse me effortless!!
Can I use this method to upgrade my bootloader in phone Note 3 N900W8 (Telcel México), I´m root and wanna put it EffortLess Rom V6.
Actually bootloader is N900W8UBUCNA2
Thanks my friend!!

Sorry for the delay in response, but do not use this to update your N900W8 bootloader. You need your specific phone's bootloader and TWRP recovery/root files. You can however follow the guide, just don't use the files I've included... find the equivalent ones for your model.

Reactions: Carlos6862
Mar 24, 2014
Hillsboro
EffortLess and Painless

Worked like a charm first time out. I did everything except flash a custom ROM. I'm going to rock stock for awhile as I was having a bunch of weird issues. I'm sure I'll get the urge to go custom again.

rob419

Nov 3, 2012
pittsburgh
NF4 ROM?

Am I missing something, or is the ROM still NF1? I followed all the steps, ended up with Baseband & Build number NF4. Then flashed the ROM from the OP linked post. Info then said I had Build number NF1. Reflashed back to NF4.

How badly would mismatched baseband and build number mess things up?

effortless

Feb 11, 2007
Philadelphia
Am I missing something, or is the ROM still NF1? I followed all the steps, ended up with Baseband & Build number NF4. Then flashed the ROM from the OP linked post. Info then said I had Build number NF1. Reflashed back to NF4.

How badly would mismatched baseband and build number mess things up?
I'll be updating the custom EffortLess ROM to NF4 soonish, just stay on stock for now or use another custom NF4 ROM if any have come out already.

I'd recommend staying on NF4 not because of compatibility, but due to some security vulnerabilities being patched in NF4. NF1 should work OK with NF4 for the time being if you really want to use it.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...lows-hackers-to-take-over-people-s-phones.htm

Last edited:

tercelman

May 10, 2014
I just upgraded from NF1 to NF4. If we could get Android 4.4.4 along with NF4 then that would be excellent. I keep on getting internet connection dry. I hate having to put my phone on airplane mode and turning it off to restore my internet connection.

tercelman

May 10, 2014
I noticed that the speaker volume has increased a little bit from NF1 to NF4. Has anyone noticed this?

voyagerair

Sep 16, 2013
San Jose
hey guys....looks like closed caption of Netflix does not work properly on Note 3, right?
I meant the front size changes randomly!
Is there a quick fix on this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ★ |[How-To]| EffortLess Guide | NK3 | | Flashing | | Rooting | | Recovery | 26NOV14 ★

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you do care about KNOX and do not want a custom recovery or custom ROM installed, but want stock rooted- Go to my other thread here!
    A custom ROM or custom recovery WILL trip your KNOX to 0x1
    (this is irreversible and KNOX will cease to function on your phone forever and ever and ever).
    Only proceed to the steps below if you do not care for KNOX.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************************************
    Welcome to the EffortLess Guide!!
    ROOT, RECOVERY, AND ROM the EffortLess Way :highfive:
    This is a quick and easy way to root and install a custom recovery & ROM on the N900T T-Mobile Note 3

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************************************

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

!!!!!!!!!!! THIS GUIDE WILL ASSIST YOU IN FLASHING ALL THE LATEST NK3 FILES, ROOTING, INSTALLING A CUSTOM RECOVERY AND THEN FLASHING A CUSTOM ROM IN THAT RECOVERY !!!!!!!!!!!

NOTE: ANY STEPS AFTER INSTALLING FULL N900TUVUENK3 STOCK WILL SET KNOX WARRANTY VOID :0X1. KNOX WILL NOT FUNCTION ON YOUR PHONE!
    SO IF YOU REQUIRE KNOX FOR WORK, DO NOT PROCEED WITH ROOTING OR FLASHING A CUSTOM RECOVERY!

DO NOT USE MOBILE ODIN PRO (IT DOESN'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO UPDATE YOUR BOOTLOADER)

DO NOT ATTEMPT ANY SHORTCUTS... THERE ARE NONE!

ODIN IN A VIRTUAL MACHINE ENVIRONMENT MAY OR MAY NOT WORK... IF IT FAILS TO FLASH, USE A NATIVE WINDOWS MACHINE.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************​
    If you are already on stock N900TUVUENK3
    • Either through over the air update (OTA) or the phone came with it from TMO or from a full NK3 Odin flash (Only these methods will mean you have the FULL NK3!) proceed to "Rooting NK3" below.
    • If you flashed a custom NK3 ROM (without updating the baseband/modem and bootloader), flash the full NK3 Odin below.
    If you need to update to N900TUVUENK3 and are on a stock firmware that has not been rooted yet:
    1. Use the built-in Over The Air (OTA) software updater in your phone settings to check for an update then follow the instructions to update.
    2. After booting up, check for an update again and confirm there are none and that you are on firmware N900TUVUENK3 before proceeding to "Rooting NK3" below.
    If you are updating from any prior rooted stock or custom firmware follow these steps (or if you don't know if you have a full NK3 install, follow these steps):
    1. Download EffortLess ROM Prep.zip and Full Stock NK3.zip
    2. Unzip both files
    3. Turn off your phone and then hold the Volume Down, Home Button, and Power Button at the same time, when the phone vibrates, let go of Power Button. Press Volume Up to continue past the "Warning!!" screen.
    4. Open the EffortLess ROM Prep folder and double click on EffortLess Odin.exe
    5. Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable (one of the boxes under ID:COM in Odin will fill with a com number and turn baby blue meaning it can communicate with your phone.. if it does not, unplug your phone and run EffortLess Odin USB Driver.exe from the EffortLess ROM Prep unzipped folder. Now plug your phone in again and it should load the driver and the box should turn baby blue and display a com number)
    6. Click the PDA button and navigate to the unzipped Full Stock NK3 folder, click on N900TUVUENK3_N900TTMBENK3_N900TUVUENK3_HOME.tar.md5 and click Open
    7. Wait for the file to load properly in Odin, it will take a minute and you'll see a check-mark to the left of the PDA button and the system path of the NK3 file to the right.
    8. Now click start and wait, don't touch anything until after your phone restarts.

Now go to menu, settings, General tab, and click About device and verify the Baseband version AND Build Number are N900TUVUENK3 if so, go to Rooting NK3

Screenshot_2014-09-10-17-26-27.png
    Old Example Image.. yours should reflect N900TUVUENK3

IF NOT:

Update baseband to NK3 (Only if it didn't update when you flashed full stock):

1. Follow the steps for Rooting NK3 then continue to step 2
    2. Download the triangle away app from the playstore, or download it from XDA for free.
    3. Run and reset your flash counter
      (even if your counter is 0, run it anyway to allow the baseband and bootloader to update)
    4. Repeat the steps above for full N900TUVUENK3 stock

Rooting NK3 (CF-Auto-Root)

1. Turn off your phone and then hold the Volume Down, Home Button, and Power Button at the same time, when the phone vibrates, let go of Power Button. Press Volume Up to continue past the "Warning!!" screen.
    2. Open the EffortLess ROM Prep folder and double click on EffortLess Odin.exe
    3. Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable (one of the boxes under ID:COM in Odin will fill with a com number and turn baby blue meaning it can communicate with your phone.. if it does not, unplug your phone and run EffortLess Odin USB Driver.exe from the EffortLess ROM Prep unzipped folder. Now plug your phone in again and it should load the driver and the box should turn baby blue and display a com number)
    4. Click the PDA button and navigate to the unzipped EffortLess ROM Prep folder, click on CF-Auto-Root-hltetmo-hltetmo-smn900t.tar and click Open
    5. Wait for the file to load properly in Odin, it will take a minute and you'll see a check-mark to the left of the PDA button and the system path of the root file to the right.
    6. Now click start and wait, don't touch anything until after your phone restarts.

Flashing a custom recovery (TWRP):

1. Turn off your phone and then hold the Volume Down, Home Button, and Power Button at the same time, when the phone vibrates, let go of Power Button. Press Volume Up to continue past the "Warning!!" screen.
    2. Open the EffortLess ROM Prep folder and double click on EffortLess Odin.exe
    3. Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable (one of the boxes under ID:COM in Odin will fill with a com number and turn baby blue meaning it can communicate with your phone.. if it does not, unplug your phone and run EffortLess Odin USB Driver.exe from the EffortLess ROM Prep unzipped folder. Now plug your phone in again and it should load the driver and the box should turn baby blue and display a com number)
    4. Click the PDA button and navigate to the unzipped EffortLess ROM Prep folder, click on openrecovery-twrp-2.8.1.0-hltetmo-4.4.img.tar and click Open
    5. Wait for the file to load properly in Odin, it will take a minute and you'll see a check-mark to the left of the PDA button and the system path of the root file to the right.
    6. Now click start and wait, don't touch anything until after your phone restarts.

Flashing EffortLess ROM in custom recovery:

1. Connect your phone to PC and copy EffortLess ROM (or any custom ROM) onto your SD card (internal or external)
    2. Power off your phone and hold the Volume Up, Home Button, and Power Button at the same time. After the phone vibrates, let go of power but hold the other two and you should see the new TWRP recovery boot.
    3. Click on "wipe", "advanced wipe", select everything EXCEPT! "INTERNAL STORAGE" AND "MICRO SDCARD" (if you select those you will lose your pics and the EffortLess ROM that you have on there to flash) then "Swipe to Wipe" at the bottom.
    4. Click the home button on the bottom left then click wipe again and slide the slider to "Swipe to Factory Reset" at the bottom.
    5. Now go home again and click install... find the EffortLess ROM zip (or your custom ROM of choice) file on either internal or external storage, click it, then swipe to confirm flash at the bottom.
    6. When it finishes, click "Reboot System"
    be very patient on first boot.. Enjoy!
    ********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

For those that still are not sure, you can use the Phone INFO ★Samsung★ app as a final verification to see if the Bootloader, PDA, Modem and CSC files all are now updated to NK3.

Screenshot_2014-09-10-17-27-09.png
    Old Example Image yours should reflect N900TUVUENK3

If this helped, please click the "Thanks" button! :good:

Download EffortLess ROM

| Let me know you like it :highfive: Donate to show your support |
    Had friend of mine root phone because of the 4.2 debacle on my phone. Anyways... Currently have rooted Stock 4.4.2 (N900TUVUCNB4) and looking to update to the new version.

Your instructions are very easy but I dont understand why I would need to Flash stock, then reroot (again) then twrp and then rom. If i still want root i would need to follow the rest correct? Or can I just go into TWRP and reboot into recovery, select wipe, advanced, select all but internal and sdcard then slide. Once done select install, find zip of Stock NE6 then wait. This should load up a rooted stock right?

Or am I able to just download EffortlessROM and install from phone via TWRP.

Sorry for sounding stupid, Im not understanding why I would need to go through all the steps if rooting to begin with was to make things easier.

Thanks for your time.

A lot of people went (what they thought was) the easy way of just wiping in TWRP and flashing NE6 ROMs without updating their whole system and just read in the EffortLess ROM thread all the problems they have.

NE6 came with an updated bootloader and modem/baseband, unless you do a full stock install, those won't be updated. ROMs such as EffortLess ROM only contain the OS part and not the modem or bootloader. If you don't have the updated NE6 bootloader and baseband, you'll have issues such as the 4 digit pin lock not working, being stuck on the white TMO 4G LTE screen, or having problems with your 4G signal not switching properly (I'm pretty sure there are also updates in the modem that are required for voLTE to function correctly) etc.

Also, some are having issues updating their bootloader and baseband... there is a write lock on those if you have a flash counter other than 0. That is why you check to see if your modem updated after the first stock Odin flash (if it hasn't most likely your bootloader hasn't either), and to fix it, you run triangle away (to remove the write lock) and then reodin the entire stock (to update those two things properly).

I know it seems like rework, but it's a very simple process and will ensure you have no issues once you're on NE6. Also, once you're on NE6 (including modem and bootloader), then you can do as you asked and just use the last part- wipe in TWRP in between other NE6 ROMs.

Hope that clarified it a bit.
    Updated for N900TUVUENK3

I've updated the guide for the latest N900TUVUENK3 update. Let me know if there are any issues along the way.
    EffortLess ROM REV 7 NF4

EffortLess ROM REV 7 based on NF4 is now available! :victory: