[Q] Touch Screen Problems

Search This thread

ryoojin83

Is anyone else having problems with their touch screen?

It will occasionally become unresponsive, and other times will just start 'clicking' repeatedly in random spots.

I find myself having to turn the power off and on (via the button, not a hard power cycle) to fix the issue. Its starting to get annoying.

Anyone else?

M3RK

Sep 13, 2010
Yes, I am getting the same thing but I've found that if I just turn the screen off and then back on it fixes the problem. I don't need to reboot.

Sirchuk

Jul 12, 2009
I've put several hours on mine, but haven't experienced this issue. I don't know, if this happened to me more than once, I probably would exchange it.

gigadigit

Jun 11, 2010
It was happening to me all the time. I had to get a screen protector and haven't happened since.

Is anyone else having problems with their touch screen?

It will occasionally become unresponsive, and other times will just start 'clicking' repeatedly in random spots.

I find myself having to turn the power off and on (via the button, not a hard power cycle) to fix the issue. Its starting to get annoying.

Anyone else?

johnopsec

Dec 7, 2010
It was happening to me all the time. I had to get a screen protector and haven't happened since.

Very good "solution" to what should be an obvious problem. The Nook Color has a *capacitive* touch-screen. If you get "junk/gunk" on the screen, it's gonna cause you issues. I find this to be the case while holding my NC and playing Flight Director for a while. The issue: My hands become sweaty and as a result of the slight film of sweat/oil on the screen, the NC's ability to measure the capacitive changes on the screen (and react appropriately to them) is compromised.

Keep your screen clean and you won't have this issue.

Note: after you wipe the screen down (damp cloth, etc), you will need to click the power button and go the lock screen and then back into the NC before it works right directly after cleaning the screen. The dampness of the cleaning cloth throws up the calibration enough to cause very strange things. My experience with "correcting" this issue tells me that in some way, the NC is recalibrating itself when you go to the lock screen.

M3RK

Sep 13, 2010
johnopsec, this has been my experience as well. After cleaning the screen from finger-jam i don't get the phantom clicks. I also noticed that because I live in a very humid climate (Florida panhandle) there will be a thin moisture layer buildup sometimes and it really helps to wipe this off. I also have an incredible that does not have this problem but it has a screen protector which, I am guessing (and as gigadigit expressed), fixes the problem. Just make sure the screen is clean and dry before applying!

Nov 27, 2010
screen response

Also,

If you are holding the side of the case by the screen this throws off the touchscreen, I was having the issue where it would be clicking and multiple letter inputs when typing.

Also when it is laying flat and you have the power cord plugged in you may get multi letter inputs.

The trick, hold it by the back not the sides.
and if you have it plugged in and need to type don't leave it laying flat.

PHiZ

Aug 16, 2010
I have experienced this problem and loosely seen it correlated with moist fingers.

scratchfury

Nov 29, 2010
My Nook Color started acting up after paying levels 3-4 to 3-6 of Angry Birds. I'm not sure if Angry Birds caused the issue or not as I haven't gotten it to do it in another app. I'm running 1.4.2. Doing a lock and unlock fixes the problem until it returns.

I managed to get Phone Tester to run after it got into this state. I made a video of it using a crappy webcam. There's a stuck finger in the corner.

youtube.com/watch?v=OdcVG-Q8LS4

clockcycle

Dec 28, 2007
Miami, FL
Moto G Power (2021)
Touch Screen issues while unit is plugged in..

It seems I have read on some forums that some people have screen issues.

Personally I didn't experience this until I tried to use my NC while plugged into it's wall charger.. It seems to act as if it has a grounding issue, which is not the case when the unit is unplugged.

So when you are running your multitouch or touch tests, do it without the unit plugged in..

-CC

AnthonyZ28

Mar 23, 2011
I have had the same problem with my touch screen. I have the nexus live wallpaper and whenever you touch the screen it sends off the animation. Well sometimes it just goes non stop and sometimes opens up the window where you can apply a widget. I guess the most practical solution would be a screen protector but if not ill restore it and send it off to B&N

Awats

Apr 24, 2011
Here is the issue I have...

Right is the N button side. Just a reference point for this.

Reboot the Nook (I use CM7).
Bring up the keyboard
Touch Q in the center - you get W.
Touch Q on the right - you get W
Touch Q on the left - might get Q but you usually get W.

Recalibrate using the Nook Screen Calibration (above).

Q now gives Q unless you press on the right side of the key. I also notice I still have to hit the back arrow more to the left or I bring up the keyboard.

I've learned to live with it, but the left side of the touchscreen is slightly off and you have to touch to the left side of any object on the last 1".

Last edited:

boxcar8028

Mar 15, 2011
Seattle, WA
Here is the issue I have...

Reboot the Nook (I use CM7).
Bring up the keyboard
Touch Q in the center - you get W.
Touch Q on the right - you get W
Touch Q on the left - might get Q but you usually get W.

Recalibrate using the Nook Screen Calibration (above).

Q now gives Q unless you press on the right side of the key. I also notice I still have to hit the back arrow more to the left or I bring up the keyboard.

I've learned to live with it, but the left side of the touchscreen is slightly off and you have to touch to the left side of any object on the last 1".

yeah, for me it's the edge of the screen along the right side. it's less sensitive then the rest of the screen. I found that calibrating 2-3 times really works best.

There's also a fix in the nookwiki, but i can't get my adb to work on my laptop, I think its the drivers.

http://nookdevs.com/Recalibrate_the_NookColor_touch_screen

Awats

Apr 24, 2011
What is the left and right side? :p

I should have said that left is the side opposite the N button.

I downloaded Multi-Touch Screen from the market and I can see part of the problem is the angle of my finger. Straight on it's better.

Last edited:

rmhartman

Apr 5, 2011
Nook Color Touch Screen Problem

Having similar problem as described, after two years. Extended warranty expired ... two weeks ago (of course).

Tried cleaning screen, no help. Have not tried screen saver yet, but will.

In the meantime, I notice the comments about touching the sides, and I noted that as well.

Is it possible that this could be helped by opening it up and re-seating the case? Has anybody tried this?