Review of SIDY DM2 HiFi in-ear headphones with DIY filters and MIC w/lots of pics!!!

Search This thread

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
This is a review of SIDY DM2 HiFi in-ear headphones with MIC. http://penonaudio.com/SIDY-DM2

After my recent review of Xiaomi Piston headphones, I made a point about being careful where you buy your headphones from, no matter how much they cost (even $25 original headphones have fake versions). Since I was only able to provide a trusted link on Amazon US to purchase Pistons, I received a lot of inquires asking about where to get these outside of US. The store I highly recommended was http://www.penonaudio.com (also, they have eBay store http://stores.ebay.com/bigbargainonline). These guys sell everything legit, they are an authorized distributor for most of the products in their store which also means a valid manufacturer warranty, and overall provide a great support and excellent shipping service with very careful packaging. But what is most important - they offer a lot of rare headphone gems from Asian manufacturers at a very reasonable discounted prices. Instead of doing my own research for the next pair of in-ear headphones to review, I put my trust into their hands and asked Penonaudio to give me their recommendation. Now after I received DM2 - I couldn't be happier because this is one pair of amazing headphones with DIY bonus I haven't seen before. Let's take a closer look.

This time I was a little less surprised with a tin can packaging box DM2 arrived in since I experience similar one from Astrotec I reviewed before. I still think its a great way to present your product and to ensure the packaging box will be used later since you can find a lot of great uses for a tin can. Inside, beside headphones itself, SIDY included a very impressive collection of eartip accessories, interchangeable duct filters, and a pair of soft silicone earhooks for behind-the-ear fitment. It's always great to have a selection of eartips to make sure you find the best fitment to ensure a perfect seal - #1 contributing factor to get the best sound! Here they included 2 pairs of double flange tips, 3 pairs of S/M/L regular wide opening eartips, and 3 pairs of S/M/L original narrow opening Audio-Technica branded eartips. 2 other pairs were used for extra duct filter "packaging". Typically, that's all that you get for tweaking the sound - different sizes for your ear fitment and going between wide and narrow opening to change the sound signature. With SIDY DM2 there is a little surprise which adds DIY capability to change the sound even further. Included are 3 pairs of interchangeable filter ducts, color coded for different sound characteristic. These filter ducts are threaded on one side and securely screw into the shell of earpieces. Red one - designated for a balanced sound, Black one - for enhanced bass sound, and Silver one - for mid-centric sound. I do have to note that Silver duct was included with my pair of DM2, but moving forward I was informed it probably not going to be included with a package due to a sound signature which is not necessary a desirable one (I will not go into too much details, just that it cuts too much of low frequency content).

I will talk about the sound a little bit later, but for now let look more into the design of these headphones. Without a doubt DIY bonus is very unique, but so does the design shape of these earpieces. With a solid metal housing, these have a very interesting shape which obviously contributes to internal acoustics of the sound. At the same time, the tapered down shape can feel a bit slippery between your fingers when you insert these into your ears. Another less favorable comment, I wish they should have a little longer strain relief of the cable at the earpiece. OK, those are probably the ONLY two critical comments I have about these headphones - everything else is done to a perfection! DM2 comes in two variants, one with MIC/phone control and OFC cable and the other one for audio only with Silver wires cable (the one I got). Cable insulation is made with a durable TPE material, where cable is not too thin, a bit springy, tangle free, and with no microphonics. I was a bit surprised there was no chin slider, especially on Silver audio cable version, but I can live without it. 3.5mm plug is gold plated and 270deg angled for convenience. Though I haven't tested MIC version of the cable, I'm sure it has multifunction button for play/pause/call and Android/iOS phone/playback controls.

Now comes the fun part - sound test! I already mentioned about silver duct and will not go into more details since most likely it will not be included in future shipments (no loss here). Black filter duct added substantial amount of sub-bass rumble to satisfy even a basshead demand, but of course you have to pay a price of a little bloated low end and reduction in mids level due to overpowering bass. But once you move to a Red filter duct - you are rewarded with a sound heaven!!! I found the best combination that worked for me was with Audio-Technica largest tips. I didn't even have to do too much of burn-in, 4-5hr of running a pink loop sealed a deal for me! DM2 has a perfectly balanced warm transparent sound I heard in a while! Starting with a low end, even with red duct you get an enhanced bass quantity extended down to sub-bass layer and a fast punchy mid-bass. It's very well controlled, detailed, and separated without spilling or overpowering mids, and actually got a bit tighter even after a short burn-in. Mids are very well detailed and sound natural. I absolutely love the clarity of upper mids and top end which makes vocals sounds very clear, lush, and natural. Not too bright or pushed back, in my opinion these headphones are definitely not v-shaped (despite fun factor of enhanced bass quantity). Treble is very detailed and clear as well, not too bright yet still with a pleasant sparkle, very easy on your ears without fatigue while listening for extended period. Definitely don't have to worry about sibilance, the sound is very smooth. And if that wasn't enough, the soundstage is quite wide with a detailed instrument placement which is surprising for in-ear headphones. Also, it was equally easy to drive it from a dedicated DAP and my Note 2.

Overall, I was VERY impressed with a sound quality of these in-ear headphones. I know some might think I have "new toy syndrome" hyping these up, but honestly I'm comparing it to other dynamic and multi-driver IEMs that cost hundreds more, and with an exception of sound being not as detailed or a bit thinner, at $65 these stand up to other headphones that cost double or triple as much. I know the Asian market has a bad rep for counterfeits and fake headphones, but at the same time it's filled with small lesser known companies that produce simply amazing and unique headphones that I find to be a true sound gems! SIDY and DM2 is definitely one of them which I highly recommend. And of course, Penonaudio is among top trusted places where you can collect these gems at a very reasonable price!

Here are the pictures.

sidy_dm2-01_zps85496766.jpg

sidy_dm2-02_zpse0b67c90.jpg

sidy_dm2-03_zps0d261b41.jpg

sidy_dm2-04_zps47efefe7.jpg

sidy_dm2-05_zpsb4654130.jpg

sidy_dm2-06_zpsb1b9477f.jpg

sidy_dm2-07_zpsfbcb5b59.jpg

sidy_dm2-08_zps80fd68af.jpg

sidy_dm2-09_zps068b2c8a.jpg

sidy_dm2-10_zps38518121.jpg

sidy_dm2-11_zps86780910.jpg

sidy_dm2-12_zps94b7fca8.jpg

sidy_dm2-13_zps784addc9.jpg

sidy_dm2-14_zpsab85fac7.jpg

sidy_dm2-15_zps7a6a94ff.jpg

sidy_dm2-16_zps84b8e3e6.jpg

sidy_dm2-17_zps898aa147.jpg

sidy_dm2-18_zps3b56fe20.jpg

sidy_dm2-19_zps3ec9795d.jpg

sidy_dm2-20_zpsaa29d054.jpg

sidy_dm2-21_zps37c82c88.jpg

Last edited:

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Need more comparison to your other IEM ;)

With a current setup of red filter duct and audio-technica largest eartip, it blows out of the water most of the single driver dynamic or single driver balanced armature in-ears I have tested with an exception of RE-400 (regular non-balanced review coming up shortly, since RE-400B was balanced version for HM-700). RE-400 doesn't have as much bass, but has midrange details that I value a lot. Just in two different categories. When it comes to multi-driver BA IEMs, they offer a bit more details, but I can tell you that DM2 comes close to ATH-IM03, though IM03 sound will be thicker and more detailed, but not $300 better.

Reactions: coffemix

addsfsds

Aug 3, 2012
With a current setup of red filter duct and audio-technica largest eartip, it blows out of the water most of the single driver dynamic or single driver balanced armature in-ears I have tested with an exception of RE-400 (regular non-balanced review coming up shortly, since RE-400B was balanced version for HM-700). RE-400 doesn't have as much bass, but has midrange details that I value a lot. Just in two different categories. When it comes to multi-driver BA IEMs, they offer a bit more details, but I can tell you that DM2 comes close to ATH-IM03, though IM03 sound will be thicker and more detailed, but not $300 better.

Hi! Thanks for the review. I was considering getting the DUNU DN-1000 but after reading your review i really don't know what to do. I have the X5 too and pairing it with the Phonaks PFE 113 but I found they are lacking bass with the X5. So i'm looking for a nicely balanced sound but with some good bass. Any suggestion, please? Thanks!

Last edited:

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Hi! Thanks for the review. I was considering getting the DUNU DN-1000 but after reading your review i really don't know what to do. I have the X5 too and pairing it with the Phonaks PFE 113 but I found they are lacking bass with the X5. So i'm looking for a nicely balanced sound but with some good bass. Any suggestion, please? Thanks!

Ciao, man! Just replied to you on head-fi in X5 thread ;) Hopefully "mochill" in there will be able to chime in since I believe he has DN1k, but honest DM2 is a great value and sound fantastic.

addsfsds

Aug 3, 2012
Ciao, man! Just replied to you on head-fi in X5 thread ;) Hopefully "mochill" in there will be able to chime in since I believe he has DN1k, but honest DM2 is a great value and sound fantastic.

Ciao!! :) Thanks for the replies, I prefer to continue here as the X5 thread is a bit too much crowded :D Mochill came in and now i'm confused about what he said in various Ostry kc06A (the new variant) threads.. Can you please tell me a bit more about the DM2 (paired with the X5) and the bass response? I still love my PFE but bass is very weak, they sound too flat now :\ I just need some punchy bass and i'll be happy :D

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Ciao!! :) Thanks for the replies, I prefer to continue here as the X5 thread is a bit too much crowded :D Mochill came in and now i'm confused about what he said in various Ostry kc06A (the new variant) threads.. Can you please tell me a bit more about the DM2 (paired with the X5) and the bass response? I still love my PFE but bass is very weak, they sound too flat now :\ I just need some punchy bass and i'll be happy :D

There not going to be a limit to variants because of all these great little budget headphones :) As I mentioned before, IM03 is my favorite IEM right now, but it's very pricey. DM2 is a great budget alternative. It has a nicely balanced sound and a mid-bass hump which results in a fast driving bass punch. You also get bass extension down to sub-level with a nice texture, but it's not overpowering. It pairs up nicely with X5, but keep in mind with fw1.2 it will sound a little warmer and with fw2.0 update it will be a bit more cleaner (I hope FiiO will find some happy medium in fw2.1 lol!!!). Regarding Ostry KC06, a lot of people are raving about it. I should have KC06 sometime next week, and also I should receive KC06A sometime in June (their first production batch was sold out within a week, they have to manufacture 2nd batch now). If you can wait a month, I will be able to compare DM2 to KC06 and KC06A. I'm also waiting for MOE-SS01, supposed to be the same as one of those JVC in-ears.

addsfsds

Aug 3, 2012
There not going to be a limit to variants because of all these great little budget headphones :) As I mentioned before, IM03 is my favorite IEM right now, but it's very pricey. DM2 is a great budget alternative. It has a nicely balanced sound and a mid-bass hump which results in a fast driving bass punch. You also get bass extension down to sub-level with a nice texture, but it's not overpowering. It pairs up nicely with X5, but keep in mind with fw1.2 it will sound a little warmer and with fw2.0 update it will be a bit more cleaner (I hope FiiO will find some happy medium in fw2.1 lol!!!). Regarding Ostry KC06, a lot of people are raving about it. I should have KC06 sometime next week, and also I should receive KC06A sometime in June (their first production batch was sold out within a week, they have to manufacture 2nd batch now). If you can wait a month, I will be able to compare DM2 to KC06 and KC06A. I'm also waiting for MOE-SS01, supposed to be the same as one of those JVC in-ears.

Hey man, this sounds just so good!! I'm really looking forward to read about your comparisons, it seems like we both like the same sound signature from what I read and the IM03 are the IEM i really wanted to get but i can't :( Paid 30 minutes ago for my university fees, no more money for months :(

If you want to get the KC06A earlier you could use mistertao.com ;) Cheers!!!!!

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Hey man, this sounds just so good!! I'm really looking forward to read about your comparisons, it seems like we both like the same sound signature from what I read and the IM03 are the IEM i really wanted to get but i can't :( Paid 30 minutes ago for my university fees, no more money for months :(

If you want to get the KC06A earlier you could use mistertao.com ;) Cheers!!!!!

I'm all about commercial EDM (Avicii, Afrojack, Showtek, Hardwell, Nicky Romero, R3hab, Mike Candys, etc.). So it's mostly synthesized music with a powerful beats and vocals. I like enhanced bass (a little of sub-bass rumble for a nice low end texture) and mid-bass hump to get that strong beat with a fast attack. And I'm moving away from v-shaped sound signature since I want to hear vocals loud and clear. So, I'm trying to focus mostly on balanced in-ears with bass enhancement (but not basshead type).

DM2 fits that signature. Just keep in mind, they do have a slightly odd shape which could be slippery toward the end of the shell (due to narrowing down) - but overall you can leave with that. Just have to be careful with a cable because strain relied is shorter.

Regarding Ostry, I was actually contacted by them directly, and they are sending me review samples. KC06 is available right now, while KC06A has to wait for a second batch. I have done so many headphones reviews (check out my signature link with all the reviews I have done on XDA), and post across so many different websites - I get contacted by a lot of companies asking me to review their products, but as you can see it's a lot of work (don't want anybody to think reviews are just a way to get free stuff).

addsfsds

Aug 3, 2012
I'm mostly into Rock, Jazz and live recordings (Beatles, Muse, Black Keys, Franz Ferdinand, EST etc) and i like a balanced sound with some bass "action", i'm annoyed at how the PFEs sounds "boring" paired with the X5, that's why i need a more "fun" IEM :)

I'm really intrigued by these DM2 and i think I'll eventually get them when I'll get some money, the comparison with the IM03 is just too tempting!

I read a lot of your reviews so I know who you are ;) And it's great to see that the time spent reviewing is rewarded with samples! It must be absolutely great to have the chance to listen to all these beauties! And I really can't wait to read the comparisons between the Ostrys!

My IEM story is pretty short.. I started feeling the need of something better in 2003-2004 (I was 16 years old) and bought my first IEMS, the Koss sparkplugs ( that farting bass! xD), then bought my first "strange" pair after 2 years, the Crossroads MylarOne XB, i've been in love with them so much! Then, after a lot of years, bought the PFE 113 in 2010 as my personal graduation gift, i love them so much! The year after (thanks to head.fi xD) i also bought the Panasonic RP-HJE900. Those were some bad ass and fun to hear IEM! End of the story. I still have all of them in working order but the Panas..While in China, I went to the gym, then went home to the campus and washed the pants with the poor babies and let them soak overnight..the result was a faulty right channel...It broke my heart that I couldn't buy them back!

Sorry about the long story :D Have a good day!

addsfsds

Aug 3, 2012
Quick update: After reading mochill changed his idea and all the hype around and after reading that a user said they sound like a refined with more bass version of the PFE 112, I just ordered the tenores! I think I'll still get the DM 2 as I'm having a summer job and these IEMs are not as expensive as shures and others so i can afford to buy another pair..damn head-fi xD :D

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Quick update: After reading mochill changed his idea and all the hype around and after reading that a user said they sound like a refined with more bass version of the PFE 112, I just ordered the tenores! I think I'll still get the DM 2 as I'm having a summer job and these IEMs are not as expensive as shures and others so i can afford to buy another pair..damn head-fi xD :D

Which one are these? Zero Audio Tenore ZH-DX200-CT or something else?

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
They are exactly the Zero Audio Tenore ZH-DX200-CT, on amazon.com i found them for $49 shipped, couldn't resists having a bit of money left on the prepaid card :D

That's not bad shipped to Italy. Btw, that Amazon review is too much fun. When you read through all the comment afterwards, it's like a head-fi discussion on Amazon lol!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a review of SIDY DM2 HiFi in-ear headphones with MIC. http://penonaudio.com/SIDY-DM2

After my recent review of Xiaomi Piston headphones, I made a point about being careful where you buy your headphones from, no matter how much they cost (even $25 original headphones have fake versions). Since I was only able to provide a trusted link on Amazon US to purchase Pistons, I received a lot of inquires asking about where to get these outside of US. The store I highly recommended was http://www.penonaudio.com (also, they have eBay store http://stores.ebay.com/bigbargainonline). These guys sell everything legit, they are an authorized distributor for most of the products in their store which also means a valid manufacturer warranty, and overall provide a great support and excellent shipping service with very careful packaging. But what is most important - they offer a lot of rare headphone gems from Asian manufacturers at a very reasonable discounted prices. Instead of doing my own research for the next pair of in-ear headphones to review, I put my trust into their hands and asked Penonaudio to give me their recommendation. Now after I received DM2 - I couldn't be happier because this is one pair of amazing headphones with DIY bonus I haven't seen before. Let's take a closer look.

This time I was a little less surprised with a tin can packaging box DM2 arrived in since I experience similar one from Astrotec I reviewed before. I still think its a great way to present your product and to ensure the packaging box will be used later since you can find a lot of great uses for a tin can. Inside, beside headphones itself, SIDY included a very impressive collection of eartip accessories, interchangeable duct filters, and a pair of soft silicone earhooks for behind-the-ear fitment. It's always great to have a selection of eartips to make sure you find the best fitment to ensure a perfect seal - #1 contributing factor to get the best sound! Here they included 2 pairs of double flange tips, 3 pairs of S/M/L regular wide opening eartips, and 3 pairs of S/M/L original narrow opening Audio-Technica branded eartips. 2 other pairs were used for extra duct filter "packaging". Typically, that's all that you get for tweaking the sound - different sizes for your ear fitment and going between wide and narrow opening to change the sound signature. With SIDY DM2 there is a little surprise which adds DIY capability to change the sound even further. Included are 3 pairs of interchangeable filter ducts, color coded for different sound characteristic. These filter ducts are threaded on one side and securely screw into the shell of earpieces. Red one - designated for a balanced sound, Black one - for enhanced bass sound, and Silver one - for mid-centric sound. I do have to note that Silver duct was included with my pair of DM2, but moving forward I was informed it probably not going to be included with a package due to a sound signature which is not necessary a desirable one (I will not go into too much details, just that it cuts too much of low frequency content).

I will talk about the sound a little bit later, but for now let look more into the design of these headphones. Without a doubt DIY bonus is very unique, but so does the design shape of these earpieces. With a solid metal housing, these have a very interesting shape which obviously contributes to internal acoustics of the sound. At the same time, the tapered down shape can feel a bit slippery between your fingers when you insert these into your ears. Another less favorable comment, I wish they should have a little longer strain relief of the cable at the earpiece. OK, those are probably the ONLY two critical comments I have about these headphones - everything else is done to a perfection! DM2 comes in two variants, one with MIC/phone control and OFC cable and the other one for audio only with Silver wires cable (the one I got). Cable insulation is made with a durable TPE material, where cable is not too thin, a bit springy, tangle free, and with no microphonics. I was a bit surprised there was no chin slider, especially on Silver audio cable version, but I can live without it. 3.5mm plug is gold plated and 270deg angled for convenience. Though I haven't tested MIC version of the cable, I'm sure it has multifunction button for play/pause/call and Android/iOS phone/playback controls.

Now comes the fun part - sound test! I already mentioned about silver duct and will not go into more details since most likely it will not be included in future shipments (no loss here). Black filter duct added substantial amount of sub-bass rumble to satisfy even a basshead demand, but of course you have to pay a price of a little bloated low end and reduction in mids level due to overpowering bass. But once you move to a Red filter duct - you are rewarded with a sound heaven!!! I found the best combination that worked for me was with Audio-Technica largest tips. I didn't even have to do too much of burn-in, 4-5hr of running a pink loop sealed a deal for me! DM2 has a perfectly balanced warm transparent sound I heard in a while! Starting with a low end, even with red duct you get an enhanced bass quantity extended down to sub-bass layer and a fast punchy mid-bass. It's very well controlled, detailed, and separated without spilling or overpowering mids, and actually got a bit tighter even after a short burn-in. Mids are very well detailed and sound natural. I absolutely love the clarity of upper mids and top end which makes vocals sounds very clear, lush, and natural. Not too bright or pushed back, in my opinion these headphones are definitely not v-shaped (despite fun factor of enhanced bass quantity). Treble is very detailed and clear as well, not too bright yet still with a pleasant sparkle, very easy on your ears without fatigue while listening for extended period. Definitely don't have to worry about sibilance, the sound is very smooth. And if that wasn't enough, the soundstage is quite wide with a detailed instrument placement which is surprising for in-ear headphones. Also, it was equally easy to drive it from a dedicated DAP and my Note 2.

Overall, I was VERY impressed with a sound quality of these in-ear headphones. I know some might think I have "new toy syndrome" hyping these up, but honestly I'm comparing it to other dynamic and multi-driver IEMs that cost hundreds more, and with an exception of sound being not as detailed or a bit thinner, at $65 these stand up to other headphones that cost double or triple as much. I know the Asian market has a bad rep for counterfeits and fake headphones, but at the same time it's filled with small lesser known companies that produce simply amazing and unique headphones that I find to be a true sound gems! SIDY and DM2 is definitely one of them which I highly recommend. And of course, Penonaudio is among top trusted places where you can collect these gems at a very reasonable price!

Here are the pictures.

sidy_dm2-01_zps85496766.jpg

sidy_dm2-02_zpse0b67c90.jpg

sidy_dm2-03_zps0d261b41.jpg

sidy_dm2-04_zps47efefe7.jpg

sidy_dm2-05_zpsb4654130.jpg

sidy_dm2-06_zpsb1b9477f.jpg

sidy_dm2-07_zpsfbcb5b59.jpg

sidy_dm2-08_zps80fd68af.jpg

sidy_dm2-09_zps068b2c8a.jpg

sidy_dm2-10_zps38518121.jpg

sidy_dm2-11_zps86780910.jpg

sidy_dm2-12_zps94b7fca8.jpg

sidy_dm2-13_zps784addc9.jpg

sidy_dm2-14_zpsab85fac7.jpg

sidy_dm2-15_zps7a6a94ff.jpg

sidy_dm2-16_zps84b8e3e6.jpg

sidy_dm2-17_zps898aa147.jpg

sidy_dm2-18_zps3b56fe20.jpg

sidy_dm2-19_zps3ec9795d.jpg

sidy_dm2-20_zpsaa29d054.jpg

sidy_dm2-21_zps37c82c88.jpg
    Need more comparison to your other IEM ;)