10.1 Pro Experiences & Performance Tips

Search This thread

pat7

Jun 3, 2011
Eure
@ Ricanbandit,
I did not understand everything with Google translation.

But the video quality for movies, and the camera of 8 Mega is a very nice effect on my T Pro 10.1, 12.2 on your it should be superb. for transfers, it's cable or Bluetooth.;)

fletch33

Jan 9, 2010
I am about to get delivery of a 12.2 Tab Pro. Really excited at having all that real estate to play with. I travel a lot for work and can't wait to be able to watch movies on that monster screen. Anyone else here have one of these beasts?

BTW upgrading from a Asus Prime that served well and will now be handed down to my kid :)

i bought one and gave it to my dad and he loves it. although a great device and screen i found it too large and went with 10.1.

i use a Note 3 so i did not see a reason to jump only to 8.4 and i have a smaller sized 11" laptop and so 10.1 seemed to be that size for me as i use it to keep my laptop on the desk and mainly for work these days and tablet for travel and around the house.

i will say that with my keyboard case i have been able to duplicate everything i need from this Pro tab and very happy with it.

i ALWAYS run root > recovery > custom roms on everything but on this i am running stock with very little disabled and except for apps writing to SD and TW rows and column adjust i dont mind it as is (strange for me to ever say)

UPDATE - wanted to add that you are very lucky because a true made for device Keyboard case was made for the 12.2 by Logitech here and the 8.4 has them as well but us 10.1 owners are stuck with only Universal options :(

Last edited:

Darreno1

Jul 1, 2010
Great info!

It is posts like yours that bring real value to these forums. I was lurking around for a rom for my pro 10.1 when I found this thread (which IMO should be stickied).

I totally forgot that so many other great launchers exist, and I'm not stuck with Touchwiz. Well to make a long story short, your tips have helped greatly, and now that I don't feel the need to root and flash another ROM, I can receive any future updates without worrying about installation or incompatibility issues.

drbilliedds

Jul 10, 2014
Hey guys, is there someone, who is having problems updating Google Search, Google + or Dropbox? I can not update them, every time i try, there's an error. I did only a system update, which came from Samsung and downloaded all my apps (the download was automatically after i signed in with my Google account. I will be very thankful for some feedback.

Best regards

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

ricanbandit

Oct 7, 2011
Detroit Metro
well just got mine today. WOW! absolute beauty. There is nothing I don't like about it, nothing. I am so happy I got it, I see no problem in speed, no issue with screen or speakers. Could be I have low standards, lol. The thing is a beast!

MisterBuggie

Sep 16, 2008
@ Ricanbandit,
I did not understand everything with Google translation.

But the video quality for movies, and the camera of 8 Mega is a very nice effect on my T Pro 10.1, 12.2 on your it should be superb. for transfers, it's cable or Bluetooth.;)

Ha ha ha. The Google translation of ricanbandit's message into French was a laugh. "real estate" (translated into "immobilier") refers to the screen size. ("J'ai hâte de pouvoir jouer avec tout cet espace sur l'écran").

And ricanbandit, having low standards isn't necessarily a bad thing. Low standards can make you happier. It's not about having the best device, but being satisfied with the one you have. I know I am. :D

pat7

Jun 3, 2011
Eure
Ha ha ha. The Google translation of ricanbandit's message into French was a laugh. "real estate" (translated into "immobilier") refers to the screen size. ("J'ai hâte de pouvoir jouer avec tout cet espace sur l'écran").

And ricanbandit, having low standards isn't necessarily a bad thing. Low standards can make you happier. It's not about having the best device, but being satisfied with the one you have. I know I am. :D

:p

major_genesis

Jul 27, 2014
Just to say one thing, thank you!
I've bougth this tablet, 2 weeks ago, amazing screen, really really slim but subpar performances... How can a device with 2 go of RAM and "the fastest CPU in the world" could be slower than my Moto E...
I've applied the animation speed tweaks and it feels like a brand new tablet, far more responsive and the track of my finger seems way more quicker and precise than before!

Thank you so much, your tweak just made my tablet perfect :D!

FishDoc

Nov 14, 2010

I agree!!!

hawkmeadow

Mar 30, 2015
Thank you SOOOO Much!!!

I am so glad I found this thread because I had stopped using my Galaxy Tab 10.1 because it was running sooooo slowly. I followed your suggestions and it is working better than it ever has!! Now it is actually a functional item. I was looking at purchasing another tablet because this one was not upgradeable as far as memory or RAM. Now that is not necessary. Again, thank you so much, you are a lifesaver :)

WhipFlash

Aug 16, 2011
Awesome Tablet

I got this Galaxy Tab pro 10.1 on Craiglist last week for a a good price and really looks new with Roocase included and 32gb sd card, Rooted it using CF root picassowifi and Odin 3.07 then flash a TWRP recovery using Flashify, rooting and flashing recovery went smoothly., next I download Folder Mount and I was able to move my 6gb of game data and obb to sd card (cool and my internal still have 9.8gb. I like Multi Window so I download MW manager and I was able to add more apps into MW. I mirror this bad ass tablet using micro usb to HDMI cable to my TV. I have high speed cable internet but no cable TV so I borrow my Aunt comcast ID for ESPN, Xfinity to go, Netflix and NBC live Extra for Warriors game. I stay with Touch Wiz though I tried flashing CM 11 and it's ok but I went back to Stock, I dont see any heavy lag. On CM 11 I can mirror to TV using my cable but no sound on TV (just video)...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I recently bought a Tab Pro 10.1 and I was quite disappointed with the performance of it. For a device that -- on paper, at least -- was really powerful, I felt like the entire experience was very sluggish and clunky.

I wanted to share a couple of tweaks I made that helped boost performance dramatically.

1. Ditch the Samsung launcher. As cool as some of those tiled screens looked, it felt really slow and choppy to me. I gave Nova Launcher a try (I've also heard good things about Apex and Launcher Pro) and was extremely impressed with it. The tweaks that yielded the best performance gains were:
    • Scroll Speed - Faster Than Light
    • Animation Speed - Faster Than Light
    • App Animation - Slide*

* The stock animation on the Galaxy devices [the window that starts out minimized and then grows in size] is very choppy; let me add that the "Icecream Sandwich" option offers even better performance, but I thought it looked a little tacky.

Because the device is running such a huge resolution, these animations still look fine when set to such a fast speed. On my phone (Galaxy S4), I toned the settings down a little bit, because they were too fast. On a huge tablet though, they feel great to me.

2. Tweak the Scale Multipliers
    In order to do this, I had to unlock Developer Options. Unlocking this mode can easily be done without rooting. Simply go into Settings -> General -> About Device and click on "Build Number" tab 7 times. This will unlock Developer Options (it'll show up as an entry in your left menu). After unlocking this, go into it and change the following settings:
    • Window Animation Scale - 0.5x
    • Transition Animation Scale - 0.5x
    • Animator Duration Scale - 0.5x*
    This settings netted huge gains. The tablet felt so much more responsive for me, especially with regards to animations. In particular -- and perhaps this is a complete placebo effect -- I felt that scrolling (web pages, app lists, etc) was dramatically improved. Sluggish scrolling has always bothered the hell out of me with Android devices. This seemed to help a lot (again, it could just be a placebo, but I genuinely think it helped).

After making these two changes, it seriously feels like a brand new device (okay, well, I just bought this 2 days ago, it already is a brand new device). I went from being extremely disappointed in the performance to blown away by how snappy / responsive everything feels now. I know the 10.1's are sort of lacking with the ROMs we have available, but these tips will help a lot. Please note that all of this is sort of generic advice -- you can find most of this info available on other sites. However, I just wanted to share the changes I made that netted me the most dramatic performance improvements.

I'm guessing a lot of people are probably well-versed in suggestions like this, so hopefully I'm not preaching to the choir.

I hope this helps!
    Not sure if you're referring to the same tablet. The T520 that the I have is super fast and responsive!

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
    Not sure if you're referring to the same tablet. The T520 that the I have is super fast and responsive!

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
    The tablet is not necessarily "slow" per se, but it feels slow and sluggish. For whatever reason, stock Android animations have always been terrible. Have you ever used an iOS device before? I prefer Android for about a billion reasons, but one thing iOS absolutely nails is their animations in their user interfaces. Everything on those devices feels as smooth as butter. One thing I've found is that that this is all a matter of perception; for some people, it doesn't bother them at all. For others, it drives them crazy. It's subtle, but once you notice it, it's really annoying. It's almost impossible not to notice if you've used an iOS device for an extended period of time (I owned an iPhone for a couple years). Responsiveness is something that Google has focused on (check out search Google for "Project Butter" for more info).

With every Android device I've used, the animations have looked cheap and clunky. They're not smooth (and never have been). They are choppy and they stutter; the best way I can describe it is like when you're playing a computer game on high settings and your framerate starts to drop. It doesn't look smooth and natural anymore -- it looks inconsistent. Android animations often look like frames are missing.

With the stock settings, go to your home page and start cycling through the pages quickly. For me, whenever it loaded those tiled pages (the thing with the calendar/email widgets, or the digital newspaper page), there was a noticeable hiccup. Successive cycles through the home pages would often feel smoother -- it seems that the device must temporarily cache some of the rendered data for a while. However, when it's of memory and needs to render again, the stuttering returns.

Also, try opening an app. By default, it plays that animation that looks like a window maximizing from a taskbar. That animation was always very choppy for me. Again, it looked like it was missing frames. Using Nova Launcher, I've switched to the Ice Cream Sandwich-style animation (sort of looks like a tube TV turning on), and it feels way more responsive and instantaneous to me.

Again, none of these changes are actually speeding up the device. It's just lowering animation times so that things feel faster.