[Q][UPDATE] CWM can't install ROMs properly - Stuck on Samsung Logo

Search This thread

Azure Flame Kite

Apr 1, 2012
Germany
Okay okay.. hello. I'm a new girl at XDA and thus new to all this rooting stuff.

First and foremost, I'm on Android 2.3.6. I used the XWLA4 insecure kernel to flash my SGS2 (since my official Samsung kernel is indeed XWLA4) and used S2Root to install BusyBox and superuser, but I had no CWM recovery so I manually installed CWM 4.0.0.2 via Odin.
It worked like a charm :) Now came the time to flash a custom firmware. I was thinking of MIUI, CM7 (because I didn't like stock ICS that much) and this new Fatal1ty Extreme ROM. In fact, I liked said ROM so much that I wanted to have it on my phone + the Red theme. And that's where the annoyance began..

I've carefully read all the instructions, but I didn't understand one:
"Copy the ROM to the Root dir of your SD card."
I thought it was just some directory in my USB storage, so I connected my device to my computer and connected the USB storage, yet I didn't find any folder named "Root" or anything that resembled a root directory.

After 1 hour of googling and extensive research, I was so annoyed that I just dragged the ROM + Theme to my USB storage.

I boot into CWM recovery, did a wipe (data/factory reset, dalvik cache wipe etc.) and then installed the ROM. When I rebooted, THIS happened:

I was stuck at the first screen, the one that said "Samsung Galaxy SII" on it with the yellow triangle!

And this screen did not go away until I boot my phone into download mode and flashed the official XWLA4 kernel from Samsung, aka unroot my phone.

After Unroot, my phone worked like normal. No bootloops, no being stuck on the first screen etc.

Can someone please shed light on this? Touchwiz isn't exactly my cup of tea anymore and I really would like to give my phone a custom look ._.

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: It seems that this problem seems big, as every ROM that I flash (with wipes) takes <5 seconds to finish, and that usually means that it's a bad flash ._.

Can someone tell me how to solve this?

Last edited:

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Copy the ROM to the Root dir of your SD card

Root = copy the rom to the sd card not inside any folder .

DO NOT put anything in usb storage it is not the instructions for anything SD CARD only internal not the external one .
Connect phone to pc in usb mass storage mode copy the rom to the phones internal sd card only .
follow with CWM and root phone via Odin
Root + CWM .

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399

Then boot to recovery and install the rom .

That is an excellent choice of rom by the way .

jje

Reactions: Azure Flame Kite

Azure Flame Kite

Apr 1, 2012
Germany

DO NOT put anything in usb storage it is not the instructions for anything SD CARD only internal not the external one .
Connect phone to pc in usb mass storage mode copy the rom to the phones internal sd card only .
Root + CWM .

jje

Well, I didn't put it in any folder and certainly not in the folder that says "usbStorage" on it. Please excuse me for my aloofness in this matter as I still don't quite understand how to access my internal SD card.

I have USB-debugging enabled and when I connect to my storage, I have something like this:

29e27uc.jpg

So, which one of these is the internal SD card? ._.

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
How i just reinstalled fatality rom .

Pick CWM and Root LA4

Flash via Odin

Download rom
Phone setting activate USB mass storage and copy the rom to the phone .

Boot to recovery mode vol up + home + Pwr release at first splash screen
Install/choose zip from sd card select fatality confirm yes

Installs reboot wait for rom to initialize then set it up .

jje

Reactions: Azure Flame Kite

Azure Flame Kite

Apr 1, 2012
Germany

Pick CWM and Root LA4

Flash via Odin

Download rom

jje

Doesn't work :( Tried that, but still doesn't go past the first screen..

EDIT: Maybe I should just flash it and then wait for it to boot.. I read similar situations where people flashed ROMs and they too were stuck on a boot screen, but in reality it really took so long due to the caches being rebuilt ._.

I'll try that. If anyone has suggestions, post in here :)

Last edited:

ZACQ8

Jan 24, 2012
Kuwait
Doesn't work :( Tried that, but still doesn't go past the first screen..

EDIT: Maybe I should just flash it and then wait for it to boot.. I read similar situations where people flashed ROMs and they too were stuck on a boot screen, but in reality it really took so long due to the caches being rebuilt ._.

I'll try that. If anyone has suggestions, post in here :)
could you tell me where are you now? on which firmware? roooted/ or stock...

and which rom are you willing to flash?

Azure Flame Kite

Apr 1, 2012
Germany
could you tell me where are you now? on which firmware? roooted/ or stock...

and which rom are you willing to flash?

Unrooted again.

I want to flash Fatal1ty Extreme with the Fatal1ty Red Theme package ._.

I'm on the stock XXKI4 firmware with the XWLA4 kernel ._.

When I root my phone with CF-Root-SGS2_XW_OXA_LA4-v5.0-CWM5 kernel from Chainfire, the root is fine but when I flash Fatal1ty via CWM, it says "installation complete" but I can't get past the first screen ._.

When I root my device with the XWLA4 insecure kernel and then root it with S2Root, still nothing.

I even tried flashing Redpill 1.3 (auto-root) and then flash Fatal1ty, still nothing..

I'm always stuck at the first screen ._.

Paradoxxx

Aug 14, 2008
Krakow
Full wipe. Aka wipe data and cache from recovery then install ROM.

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9100 avec Tapatalk

5kops

Oct 16, 2010
London
Looking at the pic you posted you've downloaded the rom and theme twice (?). It will prevent a sucessful flash. Experience.

5kops

Oct 16, 2010
London
Well, I didn't put it in any folder and certainly not in the folder that says "usbStorage" on it. Please excuse me for my aloofness in this matter as I still don't quite understand how to access my internal SD card.

I have USB-debugging enabled and when I connect to my storage, I have something like this:

29e27uc.jpg

So, which one of these is the internal SD card? ._.

Agree numbered zip makes no difference if it ends as .zipYou can even rename the zip.
jje

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Well every time I tried flasing a file like that ( e.g : update-cm-9-20120331-CODEWORKX-galaxys2-signed(2).zip) it will not work.

Azure Flame Kite

Apr 1, 2012
Germany
I tried two different ROMs: The Thebyani ICS one and the VK ICS one.. both have the same problem as Fatal1ty: They're stuck on the boot screen.

EDIT: It seems that this problem seems big, as every ROM that I flash (with wipes) takes <5 seconds to finish, and that usually means that it's a bad flash ._.

Can someone tell me how to solve this?

Last edited:

Azure Flame Kite

Apr 1, 2012
Germany
Okay, here's a sum-up of the problem thus far:

1. Root is fine with any kernel, device functions without any problems.
2. When I want to flash a custom ROM via CWM, it takes <5 seconds to finish and is stuck at the boot logo.
3. Unrooting solves this.

Something must be faulty with the device... Flashing kernels and back to stock is without any complications, yet when I wanna flash a custom ROM, it's stuck at the boot logo ._.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yor baseband must not be same to your firmware version, anyhow your firmware is higher than LPH since LPH is unoffical old one and yours is latest official ICS,

But FAQ of the CM9 nightly says like this,

Should I flash the bootloader ?
    You don't need to. There are currently no reports of issues having not flashed the bootloader. However, if you flash the ICS bootloaders, you can't reset the download count with a JIG any more.

We dont know which is out dated.

Better you go as codeworkx thread which seems latest, to be on the safeside, flash Using the noob-proof ODIN method, Download CM9 Resurrection Edition & install from ODIN and install latest nightly from CWM....as directed in the Codeworkx thrad : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1419102
    Hi,
    I cant offer much help unfortunatley as I am probably at the same stage as you.
    I installed ICS and rooted it.
    Decided to put on the Hydrogen rom VIA CWM. It seemed to flash ok and then when it went to reboot i got the boot screen with the yellow triangle and it stayed there for over 30 mins. STUCK!!!
    I used this thread to get back out of it and managed to get back to stock.
    I am at work at the mo and forgot to bring my cable with me, otherwise I would be trying things right now.
    I am very dubious as to installing anything at the mo as I dont want to BRICK the phone altogether.
    I will be keeping track of this thread though to see if I can offer any help with providing info.
    Regards

Kev

use method shown above, after doing that i can flash different roms and it gets past boot screen

Root + CWM .

jje

Pick CWM and Root LA4

Flash via Odin

Download rom

jje
    Agree numbered zip makes no difference if it ends as .zipYou can even rename the zip.
    jje

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium