I really love my Nexus but...

Search This thread

EyeAndroid

Jul 16, 2010
California
I really love my Nexus. Gorgeous, perfectly sized 720p display, super sleek black curved display with NO carrier branding or capacitive buttons, nice loud speakerphone & ICS is fantastic. Great things to love about the Nexus!

But this phone Laaaaaaaaaaaaaags. And please don't tell me i got a bad one, or I need to reflash yada yada. If you don't agree about the lag, then you are in denial.

I'm currently running AKOP 4 & Francos 3rd Milestone + oc'd to 1.35.

I'll admit, his latest kernel sped it up again, but it seems like its only temporary. With every flash, it always starts out fast, but then after 2 weeks - it starts to slow down again.

Where do I notice it? Well lets see, try pulling down your status bar from the lock screen and see if there sometimes isn't a 1 or 2 sec delay. Is this due to the phone just waking up from being asleep at 300 mhz?

But its not just there. Opening text messages, call log, emails - its just slow.

I just kinda got used to the general lag in the system, but then I played with a Stock Galaxy s2 on GB the other day & I was amazed at how fast that phone was. It ran circles around my nexus.

So I got to thinking, on older computers with slower processors - if you try and run youtube at 720p @ full screen, it gets super choppy and laggy. Then I compared that to the nexus. Its trying to push ALOT of pixels. Is a 1.35 ghz processor enough for the resolution it runs?

Would a 1.5 or 1.7 ghz phone run it normally?

Whats with the Lag???

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
Franco milestones are stock gpu values so overclocking your CPU isn't doing much. I'm running the latest trinity and it's got a heavy gpu overclock and this phone is the smoothest Android GUI I've ever experienced and I've experienced a lot.

So yes yadayada, reflash, etc etc

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

shadow65781

Jan 11, 2009
willard
Thanks for this. I was on the fence between this or waiting for the gs3, currently running stock gb with adw pro on an exynos gs2, guess I'll just keep saving for the unlocked gs3 and hope Google Play carries it.

Don't bait the trolls.

ragnarokx

Sep 1, 2010
Southwest
Thanks for this. I was on the fence between this or waiting for the gs3, currently running stock gb with adw pro on an exynos gs2, guess I'll just keep saving for the unlocked gs3 and hope Google Play carries it.

Don't bait the trolls.

Google Play won't carry - it's not a Google phone. It will be sold the same way the Galaxy S2 was.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

mystichobo

Sep 25, 2010
Stockholm
mystichobo.com
Franco milestones are stock gpu values so overclocking your CPU isn't doing much. I'm running the latest trinity and it's got a heavy gpu overclock and this phone is the smoothest Android GUI I've ever experienced and I've experienced a lot.

This, also, maybe try running something other than AOKP for a while. Though its really customisable, it isn't exactly the snappiest ROM.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA

roflmao. Google Play won't carry it. Its not a Google phone... It'll be sold by your local carrier or importer.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

But this phone Laaaaaaaaaaaaaags. And please don't tell me i got a bad one, or I need to reflash yada yada. If you don't agree about the lag, then you are in denial.

I'll admit, his latest kernel sped it up again, but it seems like its only temporary. With every flash, it always starts out fast, but then after 2 weeks - it starts to slow down again.

Where do I notice it? Well lets see, try pulling down your status bar from the lock screen and see if there sometimes isn't a 1 or 2 sec delay. Is this due to the phone just waking up from being asleep at 300 mhz?

But its not just there. Opening text messages, call log, emails - its just slow.

I just kinda got used to the general lag in the system, but then I played with a Stock Galaxy s2 on GB the other day & I was amazed at how fast that phone was. It ran circles around my nexus.

I'm bone stock 4.0.4 and don't have any of this lag you're talking of. Essentially perfect, very few noticeable moments of lag.

EyeAndroid

Jul 16, 2010
California

Hmm well I have never tried the Trinity kernel, just thought everyone raves about franco so why switch? Didn't know the GPU would effect general performance. Always thought it was just for gaming. Trinity can be OC'd?

EyeAndroid

Jul 16, 2010
California

Don't bait the trolls.

Ya man, never been a huge fan of the S2 due to the general design of the phone + I hate touchwiz and odin.

Yesterday I was fed up & Just put in an order for an HTC One S but then cancelled it today when I heard the speakerphone and saw how amplified the dots of the pixels really can get when you run Super Amoled on a 960 x 540 res.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Stock ICS.

earlyberd

Mar 29, 2010
Learn to clean out your recent apps menu. Google integrated a task manager into the recent apps menu for a reason.

Your phone lags because it's running low on memory, and 99% of developers suck at memory management. Just because you don't have a taskbar at the bottom of the screen telling you how many apps you have open doesn't mean there probably isn't something that you left open, hogging your system resources. The same thing has happened on desktop computers for years, what makes you think your phone is going to act any different?

HinotoriBR

Apr 2, 2011
São Paulo
I just know that I run stock 4.0.4 + root, and it works just fine, no lag whatsoever... But, since you say your phone has a loud speakerphone, it must not be the Galaxy Nexus lol... At least not an Ok one, because it surely has one of the worst speakerphone I have ever heard... And don't call me Shirley! :cool:

EyeAndroid

Jul 16, 2010
California
Learn to clean out your recent apps menu. Google integrated a task manager into the recent apps menu for a reason.

Your phone lags because it's running low on memory, and 99% of developers suck at memory management. Just because you don't have a taskbar at the bottom of the screen telling you how many apps you have open doesn't mean there probably isn't something that you left open, hogging your system resources. The same thing has happened on desktop computers for years, what makes you think your phone is going to act any different?

You could be right on this. I dont ever restart my phone and I always just Go home when I'm done. Any way to have it auto kill after about an Hour or so?

Im surprised Thats not something Google would have implemented in ICS just for performance?

EyeAndroid

Jul 16, 2010
California
I just know that I run stock 4.0.4 + root, and it works just fine, no lag whatsoever... But, since you say your phone has a loud speakerphone, it must not be the Galaxy Nexus lol... At least not an Ok one, because it surely has one of the worst speakerphone I have ever heard... And don't call me Shirley! :cool:

You must not have Owned any HTC phones :)

"Surely you cant be serious??!?"

"I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley"

Reactions: ckoadiyn

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA

This is not at all necessary...

Reactions: BinkXDA

jdiddy_ub

Sep 20, 2010
Queens Village, NY
You could be right on this. I dont ever restart my phone and I always just Go home when I'm done. Any way to have it auto kill after about an Hour or so?

Im surprised Thats not something Google would have implemented in ICS just for performance?

i have a SG2...getting my nexus delivered tomorrow so i started browsing the nexus section...

for starters on any android you shouldnt press home unless you are leaving the app for a brief moment and are planning on going back to it...home will keep the app running...you have to use the back key to close out of many apps (especially the ones that dont have a designated exit button)

app management is very crucial but auto killing isnt good for the system...android will close apps on its own as space is needed...however there are certain apps that are service hogs and eat up ram...i am somewhat of an app hoarder but i know which apps to keep and which to get rid of...normally if you have like 120mb of free ram or so a dual core phone shouldnt ever lag...if it lags its not due to memory

on my SG2 i have like 200+ apps but almost always have like 250mb ram free (even without a reboot for several days)...on the rare occasions that i feel it lag i check and sometimes i will see that it dropped down to like 80mb free...a quick reboot fixes it

its also good to reboot your phone every few days

Last edited:
Reactions: japaneezy

rican408

Jun 25, 2010
I'm reading a bone stock sprint galaxy nexus. I have no lag at all. And I'm coming from an epic touch. In my experience custom rom's slow down after a while. Which is why I usually stay stock with root.

earlyberd

Mar 29, 2010

You want to try to avoid automated task killers because they can lead to stability issues if they're too aggressive, and as an additional background process they have the potential to eat your battery life. The safest way to kill apps is just by swiping them away with the recent apps menu.

Google tries really hard to implement a good system of memory management in Android, the problem is just that developers don't really utilize it. You can clearly see the difference especially if you like to run alternative browsers or old games. All of the stock Google apps work great and I can keep them open forever, but if I leave StumbleUpon or Plants Vs. Zombies open in the background long enough my phone will start to chug.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

roflmao. Google Play won't carry it. Its not a Google phone... It'll be sold by your local carrier or importer.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

I'm bone stock 4.0.4 and don't have any of this lag you're talking of. Essentially perfect, very few noticeable moments of lag.
    This phone isn't laggy. You're just doing it wrong.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
    AOKP sucks in my opinion, too much customisation makes it run really slow. That's why I switched to another rom. Maybe you should try a different rom before casting judgement on the phone as a whole.
    Lol well I tried, enjoy Odin and touch wiz

Same problem coming from AOKP and franco, what's the suggested rom then? CM9?

Anything but AOKP would be my suggestion. The smoother ones are generally the leaner ones with less options to play with.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2