[Q] Accidentally installed VZ firmware (i think) on ATT (SGH-i337)

Search This thread

fuzzyreets

Dec 24, 2011
HI everyone. I think i accidentally installed the wrong firmware on my att sgh-i337 GS4. I'm not positive but that's what I think will happen. Appears that it is not rooted as I ODIN keeps failing. Also wireless does not work so I cannot get any internet connection to work. I just want to get back to ANYTHING usable. KIES does not see my device. Please help me get back to anything. I was trying to help a friend with his phone and ended up in this state so I want to get it back to him working in anyway. I've done a few of these and never had this much trouble. Help please. Thanks.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Just flash the correct firmware in Odin. Do you know what firmware version the device was on?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

fuzzyreets

Dec 24, 2011
Just flash the correct firmware in Odin. Do you know what firmware version the device was on?

Right. I've been trying to do this. Whenever I do that ODIN says "AUTH FAIL" Originally i was on ATT Stock 4.4.2. Thank you for your reply. Very much appreciated.

fuzzyreets

Dec 24, 2011
Yes, that should work

Awesome! Fixed! Thank you a million. Now, what's the proper way to root this device at this point? I spent at least an hour reading about how to root the sgh-i337 with 4.4.2 which it appears this phone is now running. I don't want to go through that mess again. If you could provide me this step now I would really appreciate it. Again, can't thank you enough.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Awesome! Fixed! Thank you a million. Now, what's the proper way to root this device at this point? I spent at least an hour reading about how to root the sgh-i337 with 4.4.2 which it appears this phone is now running. I don't want to go through that mess again. If you could provide me this step now I would really appreciate it. Again, can't thank you enough.

Use towel root by geohot. Just Google it

fuzzyreets

Dec 24, 2011
Use towel root by geohot. Just Google it

Okay I will try that again. I did use that first last time and it would appear rooted based on the root checker app then I would reboot and it would say it's not rooted. Additionally things that required root said the phone wasn't rooted.

fuzzyreets

Dec 24, 2011
Again see the index, all things at&t.... You should do the update to nc1 before rooting with towel root

I know I"m killing you here but i'm treading lightly based on my last experience. The NC1 update I found is only 20mb. Not a full build obviously. The thread says this:

"irst you need to odin back to stock NB1, and then flash the NC1 update in stock recovery.
NC1 update zip can be found here.
https://mega.co.nz/#!L55B1DoI!uALQRe...BBQgwT-wfC6ByY"

Not sure how to do that at htis point. Thanks.

fuzzyreets

Dec 24, 2011
I know I"m killing you here but i'm treading lightly based on my last experience. The NC1 update I found is only 20mb. Not a full build obviously. The thread says this:

"irst you need to odin back to stock NB1, and then flash the NC1 update in stock recovery.
NC1 update zip can be found here.
https://mega.co.nz/#!L55B1DoI!uALQRe...BBQgwT-wfC6ByY"

Not sure how to do that at htis point. Thanks.

Also..yes trying to figure it out based on "Post 3" as indicated but I'm not totally sure where i'm coming from or where I'm going...