Q: difficulties with finding T-Mobile p769 malware free unlocking & rooting method

Search This thread
Dec 23, 2013
Q: difficulties with finding T-Mobile p769 malware free unlocking & rooting method

Hi,

I am a total newbie when it comes to rooting stuff (I did root my nexus 7 2012 without using a toolkit so I have some slight experience, but this phone seems to be much more difficult).

However, I have seriously spent many hours searching and reading many different unlocking bootloader & root guides for the 769, and I cannot seem to find a method that will work and is safe.

With the guide that I have read the most (i. e. [GUIDE] Root L9 ICS/Jelly Bean with New Lelus method and Offline Flash (1st and 2nd post) ), there is a serious malware problem.

I don't have a pop-up blocker enabled & I have never seen this type of malware threat message before where chrome will not allow me to download these files (message displayed is like " chrome is preventing you from downloading these malicious files) RootJB_and_Flash_Guide_byCMahendra_AngryWolf80(31-Mar).zip], so it freaks me out a bit.

Anyway I'm sorry if I missed something but I have never seen this type of message, so if anyone can help me on the best method for unlocking and rooting that would be awesome!

Thanks.

absinthesummer

Account currently disabled
May 16, 2012
Usa
meettomy.site
Hi,

I am a total newbie when it comes to rooting stuff (I did root my nexus 7 2012 without using a toolkit so I have some slight experience, but this phone seems to be much more difficult).

However, I have seriously spent many hours searching and reading many different unlocking bootloader & root guides for the 769, and I cannot seem to find a method that will work and is safe.

With the guide that I have read the most (i. e. [GUIDE] Root L9 ICS/Jelly Bean with New Lelus method and Offline Flash (1st and 2nd post) ), there is a serious malware problem.

I don't have a pop-up blocker enabled & I have never seen this type of malware threat message before where chrome will not allow me to download these files (message displayed is like " chrome is preventing you from downloading these malicious files) RootJB_and_Flash_Guide_byCMahendra_AngryWolf80(31-Mar).zip], so it freaks me out a bit.

Anyway I'm sorry if I missed something but I have never seen this type of message, so if anyone can help me on the best method for unlocking and rooting that would be awesome!

Thanks.

Hey so I just tested the download and you're right, Chrome does block it (although you can get around it)... But back when I had my L9, I downloaded it with firefox and checked it with malwarebytes and it was fine. It's not malicious, or wasn't when I used it. However, most apps that hack devices (rooting apps, modified dlls on computer applications, etc) show as malicious when they're not, it's just the nature by which it's designed. I would recommend allowing the download, to an external flash stick or sd card then scanning it with AV. If you're still uncomfortable with it, use a different method. But, I will say from my experience, it worked for me just fine when I still had my L9.

And yes, this phone is way more complicated to root, unlock, etc. I traded mine in plus some cash for an S3. Couldn't be happier, but when I had my L9, I went through everything on this forum. It was a PITA, but I will say I liked this community- they've worked together and worked hard on these processes to help each other out along with other owners of the L9. I feel they and the methods they put forth are genuine.

Reactions: kuma82
Hi,

Thanks.
I had the same problem. I tried to download the lelus root method and chrome blocked it. I ended up downloading it on my tablet using opera classic browser, then transferred it to my pc and antivirus said that there was a trojan horse in one of the dll's. I'm sure this method is fine to root your device with, as absinthesummer said a lot of modified dll's and rooting apps will show as malicious software. I ended up not using this method though.
I downloaded vroot and then everyone was saying that it steals you personal information. So i didn't use this method either.
The only other one that I didn't hear anything bad about was cydia impactor. Downloaded it without any problems and rooted my ms769 in seconds without any hiccups.

Reactions: kuma82
Dec 23, 2013
Thanks for the replies absinthesummer & xdrc45. I'm glad it wasn't just me having the problem with the lelus root method, and while I agree with files and rooting apps being recognized as malware, this kind of weirded me out. Oh and @ xdrc45, thanks for the tip about using cydia impactor, I'm definitely going that route.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Thanks.

Hey so I just tested the download and you're right, Chrome does block it (although you can get around it)... But back when I had my L9, I downloaded it with firefox and checked it with malwarebytes and it was fine. It's not malicious, or wasn't when I used it. However, most apps that hack devices (rooting apps, modified dlls on computer applications, etc) show as malicious when they're not, it's just the nature by which it's designed. I would recommend allowing the download, to an external flash stick or sd card then scanning it with AV. If you're still uncomfortable with it, use a different method. But, I will say from my experience, it worked for me just fine when I still had my L9.

And yes, this phone is way more complicated to root, unlock, etc. I traded mine in plus some cash for an S3. Couldn't be happier, but when I had my L9, I went through everything on this forum. It was a PITA, but I will say I liked this community- they've worked together and worked hard on these processes to help each other out along with other owners of the L9. I feel they and the methods they put forth are genuine.
    Hi,

Thanks.
    I had the same problem. I tried to download the lelus root method and chrome blocked it. I ended up downloading it on my tablet using opera classic browser, then transferred it to my pc and antivirus said that there was a trojan horse in one of the dll's. I'm sure this method is fine to root your device with, as absinthesummer said a lot of modified dll's and rooting apps will show as malicious software. I ended up not using this method though.
    I downloaded vroot and then everyone was saying that it steals you personal information. So i didn't use this method either.
    The only other one that I didn't hear anything bad about was cydia impactor. Downloaded it without any problems and rooted my ms769 in seconds without any hiccups.