I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip (5/12/2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Thank you so much for your replies. I've been doing more reading since my post and I'm getting the sense that I shouldn't even be using safe strap v3.72 on mj7 (since 3.72 is configured for KitKat ROMs/4.4). Is this true? I can't remember if the issues I'm having, such as freezing and such, started when I upgraded safe strap from 3.71 up to 3.72. I have an inclination that it isn't a coincidence but I am not pretending to know more about this issue than anyone else.

What's the best method to get to MK2 from MJ7? Do I need to Odin (PC isn't accessible at the moment) or can I flash it through SS?

I really really can't take the freezing anymore. It's insane.

What would happen if I downgrade SS to 3.71? Can't harm anything, right? To do that, should I: uninstall recovery bby using the SS in-app option -> uninstall current SS 3.72-> DL & install SS 3.71 -> install recovery using as option in SS?

A quick reply as this is off topic here:
1. To upgrade to MK2, flash the MK2 no-wipe rom image found in the Android Development forum.
2. Yes, you're using an unsupported Safestrap. Uninstall it then install 3.71 if you're using it.

Reactions: fafinaf

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
Thank you so much for your replies. I've been doing more reading since my post and I'm getting the sense that I shouldn't even be using safe strap v3.72 on mj7 (since 3.72 is configured for KitKat ROMs/4.4). Is this true? I can't remember if the issues I'm having, such as freezing and such, started when I upgraded safe strap from 3.71 up to 3.72. I have an inclination that it isn't a coincidence but I am not pretending to know more about this issue than anyone else.

What's the best method to get to MK2 from MJ7? Do I need to Odin (PC isn't accessible at the moment) or can I flash it through SS?

I really really can't take the freezing anymore. It's insane.

What would happen if I downgrade SS to 3.71? Can't harm anything, right? To do that, should I: uninstall recovery bby using the SS in-app option -> uninstall current SS 3.72-> DL & install SS 3.71 -> install recovery using as option in SS?

3.72 not made for verizon and at best will work somewhat for kitkat...SS3.71 is whats for andriod 4.3.

best method id to flash the full wipe MK2 odin files to complete clean the phone and then follow surge's method to get to a rooted NC5. There are videos and plenty of info the threads that you need to look at. I posted some links in the stickie in general forum and what people need to know on the S4...

I did Mj7 to Mk2 yesterday and then followed surge's method to get to a rooted NC5 deox Rom before I installed baja V2.2. I made a check list after watching videos and reading the threads so I would have the right files on mu extsd card and the right odin files on my PC

graywolfman

Oct 12, 2008
Denver
Forgetting Networks More Info

Hmm seems my phone is still forgetting networks. After fiddling with some things, I found that it only forgets N networks, but remembers b/g. I shortened my name from 21 characters to 7 characters, and it was still forgetting it. On WPA 2 Personal encryption. Didn't have this problem until the upgrade.. anyone else?

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Hmm seems my phone is still forgetting networks. After fiddling with some things, I found that it only forgets N networks, but remembers b/g. I shortened my name from 21 characters to 7 characters, and it was still forgetting it. On WPA 2 Personal encryption. Didn't have this problem until the upgrade.. anyone else?

My network at home is 802.11n and I have no problems remaining connected.

yearn2burn

Apr 3, 2011
Atlanta
I'm on nc2 (deodexed). Can I flash this to update to nc5 without losing data? Don't want to wipe if I don't have to.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
I'm on nc2 (deodexed). Can I flash this to update to nc5 without losing data? Don't want to wipe if I don't have to.

You can only use this if you're starting from factory stock MK2 rooted. It's possible (if you still have the MK2 bootloader) to flash the MK2 no-wipe ROM to downgrade, then use this to upgrade to NC5 from there. If you have a NC2 bootloader I don't think you can downgrade to MK2. In that case, you'll need to follow one of the other upgrade threads.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012

You can use surge's downgrade process to get to stock mk2 at which point you can use the KeepRoot OTA to get to stock rooted nb5. Or you can use surge's nb5 rom and get the same result. As previously stated you can't downgrade the bootloader but that doesnt matter, the keeproot ota will still flash successfully once your system is stock mk2.

Last edited:

Dearborn1977

Oct 21, 2010
Anyone else get stuck at the Verizon logo after doing this? Flash seemed to go fine but now it's sitting at the red verizon screen. Tried battery pull and reboot and same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This "KeepRoot" method uses a modified version of the official MK2 to NC5 OTA Update.zip to upgrade while maintaining your User Data & Root Access! The file is flashed in Safestrap and the end result is a Fully Functioning, 100% Stock, Rooted, NC5 Device.

**Closing my thread now that a direct root method has been found**

**Prerequisite** This method requires that your MK2 system is 100% stock except for root and Safestrap (Optional: see Post# 2 for "MK2 Pre-Flash System Check"). The update will fail if any system files have been modified or deleted, e.g. thru Xposed, etc. You must first restore the stock files or reflash back to stock MK2 and re-root. The file does not contain the NC5 bootloader and should it fail will leave your current system intact. Proceed at Your Own Risk!.

Here it is: I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip

1. Place the I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the root of your ext sdcard.
    *2. Unrooted NC5 users should first follow the instructions in @Surge1223 thread to Downgrade to MK2
    3. Use Saferoot to root MK2 then install the latest Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk
    4. Boot into Safestrap recovery but Do Not Wipe!.
    5. Flash the I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the "Stock Slot." Once flashing is complete press "Home" and reboot into "Download Mode".
    6. Last, flash the NC5_Stock_Kernel+Modem in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).

*MK2 users can skip Step# 2.

Once complete the phone will reboot then "optimize apps" before completely rebooting. Done!

Should the update fail please post the entire error message before requesting assistance. Or, refer to Post #3 for some very useful links and resources!

Optional: @Surge1223 's I545VRUFNC5_enable_tether.zip
    Instructions:
    1. After flashing the I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip and booting into 4.4.2
    2. Place @Surge1223's I545VRUFNC5_enable_tether.zip in ext sdcard.
    3. Reboot into Safestrap recovery and flash the file in "Stock Slot" (Do Not Wipe Prior to Flashing!)
    4. Reboot. Done!

Known Issues: Safestrap.apk may force close after updating to NC5 using this method, however Safestrap recovery will continue to function. Optional: To manually uninstall Safestrap use Es File Explorer to delete system/etc/safestrap and system/bin/e2fsck, then rename system/bin/e2fsck.bin to e2fsck (save these files if you wish to manually reinstall Safestrap at a later time).
    Anyone that used this method and experienced the safestrap FC issue can solve the issue by using the selinux mode changer apk mentioned by @Maribou in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53431153&postcount=1944

Just install the apk and set selinux to permissive and reboot. Done!

I have requested that this thread be closed now that towelroot is available. Cheers!
    Worked for me!

Failed the "MK2 Pre-Flash System Check" so I performed a "Full Wipe" reverting my Samsung Galaxy S4 back to stock MK2 using the following procedure: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578209

If you are not familiar with this process the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL8XwuRYoWU&feature=youtu.be may be helpful.

I then rooted the stock MK2 with this procedure: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758 and then followed your instructions.

The only thing that may be confusing is the Safestrap app is called "Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk" not "Safestrap v3.72(NB1)apk".

This process works and I still have Root.

Thank you,

Rodger
    Any one ekse having a issue with 64 gig se card titanium back up pro keep saying folder not writable on sd card.

Yes, that's a "feature" of KitKat. Writes to the external SDcard are blocked for a number of applications.

To fix this, edit /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml using a root-aware browser.
    Find the area with "WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" and change it to

Code:
        <permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
            <group gid="sdcard_r" />
            <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
            <group gid="media_rw" />
        </permission>

What you need to do is to insert the "<group gid="media_rw" />" line.
    Save it, reboot, profit.
    This "Keep Root" method uses a modified version of the official MK2 to NC5 OTA Update.zip to upgrade while maintaining root access! The file is flashed in Safestrap and the end result should be a 100% Stock, Rooted, NC5 Device. I have successfully used this methodology on two 4.4 OTA updates for the AT&T I337 but have not had any testers for this I545 version. Therefore I thought that I would post it for anyone willing to try it.

This method requires that your MK2 system is 100% stock, except for root and Safestrap. The update will fail if any system files have been modified or deleted, e.g. thru Xposed, etc. You must first restore the stock files or reflash back to stock MK2, re-root, and re-install Safestrap. Because the file does not contain the NC5 bootloader and will fail if the above requirements are not met while leaving your current system intact, there is little risk involved. However and as always Proceed at Your Own Risk.

Here it is: I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip

1. Download the I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip and place in the root of your ext sdcard.
    2. Make certain that you have installed the latest Safestrap v3.72(NB1)apk
    3. Boot into Safestrap recovery but Do Not Wipe!.
    4. Flash the MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the "Stock Slot." Once flashing is complete press "Home" and reboot into Download mode.
    5. Last, flash the NC5_Stock_Kernel in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).

Once complete the phone should reboot then "optimize apps" before completely rebooting. Done!

Should you decide to try this and have met the above requirements, and most important followed the directions without deviating from them, then please post your results for the benefit of all. Should the update fail please post the entire error message for assistance.
    Known Issues: TBD

I am running an SCH-I545 and I have tested it and it has been proven to work.
    Sill have root and everything.