December Update Confirmed by top Samsung dev

Search This thread

kingsway8605

Apr 26, 2010
TL'DR - A sprint executive told me there is an update in the final stages with a December release to fix LoS

Full story:
I have been having problems since I bought this phone with LoS and had been having bad customer service to the extreme which I won't go into here.

A couple of days ago I did an executive email bomb (not the dan@icouldgive address, but their actual email addresses). Bob Johnson, the customer service top guy at Sprint personally called to apologize to me at 9pm at night. After I explained the issue, he said he would research the issue and get back to me. A top Samsung dev called me today who said he had spoke to Bob and informed me that an update was due in December. He offered to push the update to my phone now but said it was still in testing, so I declined.

He explained the cause of the issue to me. It is isolated to areas with spotty coverage, which is why some don't experience it at all. If you are in 4g and leave 4g coverage, or in 3g coverage and leave 3g coverage, and in the process of sending packets, there is apparently a bug where the phone does not detect this and would just give up after it could no longer talk to the old tower.

Last edited:

Overstew

Oct 3, 2010
Sounds good but I don't expect much unless they officially state that.

EDIT: I retract my above statement.

Thanks OP. :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ayman86

Sep 22, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
you could have accepted, pushed the new update, make a dump (for the devs) and revert back to your old nandroid? lol

though when i read the title i thought this was about ics. :( lol

kingsway8605

Apr 26, 2010
you could have accepted, pushed the new update, make a dump (for the devs) and revert back to your old nandroid? lol

though when i read the title i thought this was about ics. :( lol

I considered that and am still considering calling him back Monday and telling him to go ahead and send it, but I am not an android dev, dont know what this update will break as far as root and recovery especially since it is an internal samsung build, and not sure I want to risk that when December is like a week away.

Reactions: bigtoysrock

kingsway8605

Apr 26, 2010
You're looking at this from the wrong perspective. You have the opportunity to provide the community with everything they would need to fix LoS and you're only worried about what it will mess up on your phone. After receiving, packaging and uploading the update, you can easily just Odin back to what you're on now until our developers can modify, test and compile. Ask any of the developers how to upload an OTA after you receive it.

I will call back Monday and see if the offer still stands. Of course there is always a chance he uses xda which would suck.

sling

Aug 7, 2007
Va Beach / Hatteras NC
I will call back Monday and see if the offer still stands. Of course there is always a chance he uses xda which would suck.
Most techs us xda.....especially htc crew.
XDA has played a big part in their success which is why my avatar is so jolly. They tried to pull fast one locking down 3D boot loader giving us the middle finger.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12MaNy

Drumrocker

Oct 23, 2011
I would jump on the offer to test the fix. It would be great to have someone from the community actually help test the fix, even if you don't feel comfortable sharing whatever is pushed to your device.

neverends

Mar 5, 2010
South Bay
TL'DR - A sprint executive told me there is an update in the final stages with a December release to fix LoS

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1313705

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Forgot to mention, he did say they originally intended to release the LoS update this month, but some other bugs were discovered so they just wanted to do a single maintenance release in December instead. Don't know of the bug you mentioned is one of them.

the update was never supposed to come out in November - refer to link above!

neverends

Mar 5, 2010
South Bay
it's interesting that when xda members don't like the content of a post they get sad and try to discredit the information. All the information in this post was given to xda in October. I went through the hassle of calling Samsung and Sprint and brought xda the same information here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1313705 - but I guess because it was October and December was so far away, people didn't want to believe it.

Now its close to December and the information is much more palatable to the members so everyone quickly accepts the information as fact and everything is just peachy.

Maybe the membership should treat other members with enough respect to give them the benefit of the doubt on information that is provide. Bringing BS info to the forums would not benefit me in anyway and the reception of such information with the "that's BS" mentality only makes it less likely for members to contribute openly due to the expectation of facing criticism.

Either way, thank you Kingsway8605 and please excuse my interruption of your thread!

Glad to be re insured the update is still on its way unlike my Logitech revue update!

Reactions: random45 and sling

kingsway8605

Apr 26, 2010
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1313705

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

the update was never supposed to come out in November - refer to link above!

I just know what I was told by a reliable person. I can guarantee the person in the link was not dealing with someone as high up, and the thread was started in late october, so it is possible there was a different timetable before that. If you want to doubt it, that if fine, but I trust the person capable of pushing me the update more than the tech support person mentioned in the linked thread.

neverends

Mar 5, 2010
South Bay
I just know what I was told by a reliable person. I can guarantee the person in the link was not dealing with someone as high up, and the thread was started in late october, so it is possible there was a different timetable before that. If you want to doubt it, that if fine, but I trust the person capable of pushing me the update more than the tech support person mentioned in the linked thread.

I made the post and I don't doubt you are right. You missed the point - what I posted in October is the same information you just posted. I am agreeing with you and saying that this information was also posted in October!

Last edited:
C

CODteabagger

That means ICS will drop next summer on this phone if they've taken this long for the LOS fix.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Full story:
    I have been having problems since I bought this phone with LoS and had been having bad customer service to the extreme which I won't go into here.

A couple of days ago I did an executive email bomb (not the dan@icouldgive address, but their actual email addresses). Bob Johnson, the customer service top guy at Sprint personally called to apologize to me at 9pm at night. After I explained the issue, he said he would research the issue and get back to me. A top Samsung dev called me today who said he had spoke to Bob and informed me that an update was due in December. He offered to push the update to my phone now but said it was still in testing, so I declined.

He explained the cause of the issue to me. It is isolated to areas with spotty coverage, which is why some don't experience it at all. If you are in 4g and leave 4g coverage, or in 3g coverage and leave 3g coverage, and in the process of sending packets, there is apparently a bug where the phone does not detect this and would just give up after it could no longer talk to the old tower.
    Installed update fine, assuming I am the only one who got it, tell me how to upload for the devs and I will.

It is android 2.3.6

there are some subtle ui enhances (really subtle)

kernel version is 2.6.35.7-sph-d710.ek02-cl704398

baseband is s:D710.10.S.EK02

The build number is GINGERBREAD.EK02

Don't know how this compares to what everyone else has, but from the subtle UI enhancements, I know I installed something lol
    Not sure what you want a screenshot of, looks almost identical with some subtle eye candy here and there
    He definitely has the update, he isn't trolling anyone. He has lost root from the update but we will get him set back up and get all the good stuff pulled from the phone!
    We are working with him to get the update. We will tackle it later tonight when OP is done with class. Fear not :)