[TUT] [Samsung SGH-i637] Hacks

Search This thread

crt60

Jan 31, 2008
St. Louis
Here is a collection of some hacks that I have found for the Samsung Jack. I hope you all find it useful. Hopefully we can get a collection of hacks on this thread to tailor our Jacks the way we like.

To reset the handset’s factory settings, via buttons, follow the steps below:

WARNING: This Reset will Delete ALL added Data from the Handsets Memory
When the handset is powered off, Press and Hold the 5 key then power on the handset
Press either the 1 key (Master Clear) or 2 key (Master Reset) at the Format Menu screen then press the Y key (Yes) at the confirmation prompt

Note: To turn the SGH-I637 (Jack) on or off simply Press & Hold the power button , located on the upper left side of the handset.

ADMIN settings-
You do not have to unlock security on the phone to be able to do this...

1) From the home screen type in *#1546792*#

2) pick 3 for network and call settings

3) Set network order to Auto, and network mode to auto

***Alternate***
In the \Windows directory there is a program called Adminsettings.exe. You can create a short cut in the Startmenu and not have to type out all of the
numbers.

Unlock security on the Jack-

http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=news&id=7565

• The first step of removing the security limitations is to download the ClearSecurity file.
• Next, connect the Samsung Jack to the computer and move the file to the device through ActiveSync.
• Install ClearSecurity and launch Microsoft’s Security Configuration Manager.
• Select Security Off from the drop down menu and click the Provision button, the program will install a file called Tool.
• Run a registry editor program like Total Commander or Mobile Registry Editor and delete the key ForceCellConnection from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Comm>InternetSharing>Settings.

Make sure after you are done with the unlock procedure that you uninstall clearsecurity.cab, it will be called "SOTI MobiControl Device Agent" in remove

programs.

So far, the only button I have found to be able to reprogram is the AT&T button on the bottom left of the keyboard. It invokes MediaNet.lnk in the
\Windows directory. You can modify the shortcut to point to whatever program you want.

fernandezhjr

May 4, 2009
Highlands, TX
How about some tweaks as well.

Change StartMenu from grid view to list view:
HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Shell > StartMenu > Gridview. Change the value from 1 to 0.

Arrange the StartMenu list in the order that you want it:
HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Shell > StartMenu > Order. Just edit the values placing them in the order you want them to appear in the start menu.

Delete shortcuts in the StartMenu you do not want:
This requires the phone to be app unlocked. Install Total Commander V. 2.51 and navigate to the StartMenu folder in the Windows directory. Total Commander will allow you to delete shortcuts where Windows won't.

Change ringtone size limitation:
HKCU > ControlPanel > Sounds > FileSizeLimit. Just edit the value to any size you'd like.

Add custom alert tones to the default lists, without them appearing in the ringtone list:
HKCU > ControlPanel > Sounds > AllSounds. Add the the file name to the value list and then drop the file itself into the Windows system directory. It will appear in the settings lists.

Disable the AT&T sliding panel, if using the sliding panels homescreen:
HKLM > Software > Microsoft > CHome > CCustomPlugin1 > Disabled. Change the value from 0 to 1.

Disable threaded messaging:
HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Inbox > Settings > OEM > SMSInboxThreadingDisabled. Change the value from 0 to 1.

fernandezhjr

May 4, 2009
Highlands, TX
Disable 3G in the Settings menu:
The phone will need to be app unlocked. Navigate to the following registry key, HKLM > Security> Phone > ManualDisable, and change the value from 1 to 0. Exit the registry. Go to Settings > Phone > Networks. Change Network selection to Manual. Hit the Menu option on the lower righthand corner and choose Select a Network. Depending on the signals you are picking up, you will get GSM and/or 3G. You may see GSM more than once if you are picking up a signal from more than one tower. If you get two, try both to see which gives you a better signal of the two. Improvement with signal and battery life will be minimal, depending on the area. It did help me with dropped calls.

The pocketnow.com site has dropped the app unlock article. However the 1800pocketpc.com one is still up. However, some are posting there that they are not having success with the process. Last I checked, megaupload.com was still hosting the clearsecurity cab. If you are going to try it. You better do it quick. Seems like Microsoft and/or AT&T may be working to put a stop to the unlocking.

http://www.1800pocketpc.com/2009/06/10/unlock-the-security-on-the-samsung-jack.html#dsq-comments

crt60

Jan 31, 2008
St. Louis
Disable 3G in the Settings menu:
The phone will need to be app unlocked. Navigate to the following registry key, HKLM > Security> Phone > ManualDisable, and change the value from 1 to 0. Exit the registry. Go to Settings > Phone > Networks. Change Network selection to Manual. Hit the Menu option on the lower righthand corner and choose Select a Network. Depending on the signals you are picking up, you will get GSM and/or 3G. You may see GSM more than once if you are picking up a signal from more than one tower. If you get two, try both to see which gives you a better signal of the two. Improvement with signal and battery life will be minimal, depending on the area. It did help me with dropped calls.

The pocketnow.com site has dropped the app unlock article. However the 1800pocketpc.com one is still up. However, some are posting there that they are not having success with the process. Last I checked, megaupload.com was still hosting the clearsecurity cab. If you are going to try it. You better do it quick. Seems like Microsoft and/or AT&T may be working to put a stop to the unlocking.

http://www.1800pocketpc.com/2009/06/10/unlock-the-security-on-the-samsung-jack.html#dsq-comments

Nonsense, here it is...

Attachments

• ClearSecurity.cab
    547.2 KB · Views: 2,248

jonrobertd

Nov 22, 2007
Eastanollee Ga
Where would I look to explore changing the GPS key to launch Garmin instead of ATT crapigator.
Or is it possible to change the target file on the att nav shortcut?

after rereading I guess not. still looking tho

Last edited:

coppertop

Aug 15, 2008
Birmingham, Al
Is anyone else having trouble running Microsoft's Security Configurator? Running a Vista machine and as soon as the program runs, I get an error that shuts down the program.

I was able to install ClearSecurity but can't get into the configurator to drop the security settings.

crt60

Jan 31, 2008
St. Louis
Here is tool.cab for those that can't run Microsoft security configurator. It is the same tool.cab that it installs to unlock the registry.

Attachments

• tool.cab
    7.7 KB · Views: 4,216
Last edited:

rsamson

Oct 17, 2007
Samsung JACK SGH-i637 Hacks

I'm coming to the Samsung world from HTC and I had a couple of questions.

1. I've looked around for a tool like the advanced configuration tool and cannot find one that will work on the Jack. Is there something out there that will work on winmo 6.1 standard?

2. In lue of a tool that will do this, is there a registry key I can change/set that will disable my 3g connection after a period of inactivity. i.e. I check do a send/receive to check my mail and then after 1 minute of no traffic, the 3g connection is terminated.

This is something that you could do with the advanced configuration tool. This comes in handy for saving battery life.

Thanks for any insight!

rsamson

Oct 17, 2007
Samsung JACK SGH-i637 Hacks

FYI: I found the info below here: http://blog.vivekjishtu.com/2008/08/auto-disconnect-gprs3g-on-i780.html

To change the settings follow the detailed steps listed on this page. I have listed the steps in brief. You will need to use the registry editor to make the changes.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Planner\Settings\

The 1st key is DWORD CacheTime the number denotes the number of seconds to wait before the auto disconnect, by default it is 600 seconds.

the 2nd key is Multiline value / String SuspendResume which can have 2 values

"~GPRS!" - 3G always On
"GPRS_bye_if_device_off" - timeout after CacheTime

bill78759

Jul 14, 2009
Austin, Texas
Samsung Jack Unlock

Here is a collection of some hacks that I have found for the Samsung Jack. I hope you all find it useful. Hopefully we can get a collection of hacks on this thread to tailor our Jacks the way we like.

To reset the handset’s factory settings, via buttons, follow the steps below:

WARNING: This Reset will Delete ALL added Data from the Handsets Memory
When the handset is powered off, Press and Hold the 5 key then power on the handset
Press either the 1 key (Master Clear) or 2 key (Master Reset) at the Format Menu screen then press the Y key (Yes) at the confirmation prompt

Note: To turn the SGH-I637 (Jack) on or off simply Press & Hold the power button , located on the upper left side of the handset.

ADMIN settings-
You do not have to unlock security on the phone to be able to do this...

1) From the home screen type in *#1546792*#

2) pick 3 for network and call settings

3) Set network order to Auto, and network mode to auto

***Alternate***
In the \Windows directory there is a program called Adminsettings.exe. You can create a short cut in the Startmenu and not have to type out all of the
numbers.

Unlock security on the Jack-

http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=news&id=7565

• The first step of removing the security limitations is to download the ClearSecurity file.
• Next, connect the Samsung Jack to the computer and move the file to the device through ActiveSync.
• Install ClearSecurity and launch Microsoft’s Security Configuration Manager.
• Select Security Off from the drop down menu and click the Provision button, the program will install a file called Tool.
• Run a registry editor program like Total Commander or Mobile Registry Editor and delete the key ForceCellConnection from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Comm>InternetSharing>Settings.

Make sure after you are done with the unlock procedure that you uninstall clearsecurity.cab, it will be called "SOTI MobiControl Device Agent" in remove

programs.

So far, the only button I have found to be able to reprogram is the AT&T button on the bottom left of the keyboard. It invokes MediaNet.lnk in the
\Windows directory. You can modify the shortcut to point to whatever program you want.

I unlocked my Samsung Jack as described above but from another website and deleted Internet Sharing. Much to my dismay,:confused: I did not have to delete the registry entry and I lost some of the internet sharing capabilities. Can someone give me the complete registry entry for Internet Sharing. If I can't get the entry I will have to reset the phone and lose all of my work up to now.

crt60

Jan 31, 2008
St. Louis
I unlocked my Samsung Jack as described above but from another website and deleted Internet Sharing. Much to my dismay,:confused: I did not have to delete the registry entry and I lost some of the internet sharing capabilities. Can someone give me the complete registry entry for Internet Sharing. If I can't get the entry I will have to reset the phone and lose all of my work up to now.

I hope this helps

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Comm>InternetSharing>Settings

(Default)
ForceCellConnection AT&T ISP <-(string)
MaxCMConnectRetries 0 <-(DWORD)

bill78759

Jul 14, 2009
Austin, Texas
Thanks for the help

I hope this helps

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Comm>InternetSharing>Settings

(Default)
ForceCellConnection AT&T ISP <-(string)
MaxCMConnectRetries 0 <-(DWORD)

I am not sure if it fixed the problem completely or not. I can do Internet sharing using Wireless Manager, but I only have USB and Bluetooth under the Internet Sharing tab. Thanks for the help. One question if you have time to answer - I assume that there was not an entry under Default?

crt60

Jan 31, 2008
St. Louis
I am not sure if it fixed the problem completely or not. I can do Internet sharing using Wireless Manager, but I only have USB and Bluetooth under the Internet Sharing tab. Thanks for the help. One question if you have time to answer - I assume that there was not an entry under Default?

Yes, default is blank, no value, and USB and bluetooth connection to your PC from your phone is all there is.
This hack is so you can tether your phone from your PC and use it as an internet modem with Media Net.
Now you can connect to your 3G on your phone with your PC.