[Modification] CPU, Ram and other IC Cooling for OCers

Search This thread

elektroda

Sep 28, 2013
performance ? Sorry bad English
I can surely tell that performance is significantly better and noticable. I bumped speed @1.2G and it was rock stable, I tortured it through antutu and cpu stability test. 1.3G is semi stable cause It requires slight voltage bump which I did not play with (I still have to do this).
Bat temp is around 44C after 20 min of torturing which is very good starting from low 20-23c.

This is tested on KK cyanaosp v2.4.0 with build in kernel no special teaks or whatsoever. I will report back when I test more with voltage bump.

AmirAnwar

May 11, 2013
I can surely tell that performance is significantly better and noticable. I bumped speed @1.2G and it was rock stable, I tortured it through antutu and cpu stability test. 1.3G is semi stable cause It requires slight voltage bump which I did not play with (I still have to do this).
Bat temp is around 44C after 20 min of torturing which is very good starting from low 20-23c.

This is tested on KK cyanaosp v2.4.0 with build in kernel no special teaks or whatsoever. I will report back when I test more with voltage bump.

Wow! Thanks for replied :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Warning: Attempt this modification at your own discretion. I am not responsible for any damages which may occur.

After attempting to OC my phone, I noticed hot spots when stressing my CPU at 1.4ghz. Looking at the anatomy of my phone (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung-Galaxy-S-I-9000-Teardown/7122/1), I noticed the structural mid-plate is a metallic alloy. This modification tries to cool the CPU and other heat generating ICs by using the phone's mid-plate and EMI shielding as a heatsink.

Test:
    CPU stressed for 10 Min at 1.4ghz starting from a minimum cooled state. Application: “Stability Test”
    Before Mod: 53oC (127.5oF) at 7 min 48 sec (I cut the test short as I did not want to overheat my phone)
    After Mod: 43oC (109.5oF) at 10 min 10 sec

Procedure:
    1. Teardown your phone as per the ifixit.com site and extract the mainboard.
    2. Remove the simcard & MicroSD EMI Shield
    3. Apply thermal compound to all the raised ICs. This allows the EMI shield to act as a small heatsink.
    4. Reinstall EMI Shield and press down firmly to allow proper contact with the thermal compound
    5. On the other side of the mainboard, liberally apply thermal compound onto the exposed ICs as per the pictures. Note: There is a relatively large gap between the surface of the ICs and the mid-plate.
    6. Reinstall mainboard and press firmly against the mid-plate. If the thermal compound is making contact with the midplate then there should be some slight resistance when trying to lift the mainboard. If there is no resistance, then you will need to apply more thermal compound.
    7. Install remaining components and close up your phone.

I used Arctic Silver 5 as I had some laying around. It is probably better to use a non metallic thermal compound, but I have yet to experience any problems with electric components.

My phone has been modded for about 2 weeks, running @ 1.5ghz and I have yet to experience any ill effects with operating system or with the OLED screen.

Though this mod is reversible, it may be messy cleaning up the thermal compound from your phone.

Happy Modding :)
    performance ? Sorry bad English

How are the temps with the termal pads? Do you notice any improvement?
    Does the phone still heat up when oc and playing games?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app
    How are the temps with the termal pads? Do you notice any improvement?
    Does the phone still heat up when oc and playing games?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

I havent't measured it with any app, but noticed that the heat is more spreaded over the phone after some time playing a game... That's a good thing, I guess.