[SPH-L900] CF-Auto-Root

Search This thread

musclehead84

Nov 3, 2010
Falling Waters, WV
Re: [2013.02.20][SPH-L900] CF-Auto-Root

Well, I reason I am asking is because no where in the OP does it say that root can be acquire after updating to the OTA update.

I only have stock right now, unrooted 4.1.1. So, I would update using the OTA update 4.1.2 and then root, correct?

This method works cause our bootloader isn't locked. It flashes a modified recovery them flashes supersu zip and then re flashes stock recovery. This should work on all future ota updates unless something drastically changes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

ninja_unmatched

Dec 21, 2007
ninjatechc.com

I thought it was implied by the way things were said in the OP & have installed several OTA updates then used this to get root back. And here again with MA7 it works again. Great job.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Mbrook

Feb 26, 2011
San Clemente
I used this root method, and it worked beautifully. I was wondering how I would go about adding a custom recovery to this now? Any help would be great.

I can't seem to find a kernal with it packed in, I have mobile odin and am familiar with odin (coming from E4GT).

Last edited:

I used this root method, and it worked beautifully. I was wondering how I would go about adding a custom recovery to this now? Any help would be great.

I can't seem to find a kernal with it packed in, I have mobile odin and am familiar with odin (coming from E4GT).

If you want twrp custom recovery Google twrp go to there website select your phone and DL it or you and find the thread in the same as this topic scroll up or down you find it it has twrp in the topic

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

robertm2011

Dec 27, 2011

Or, just download the GooManager app (free from the Play Store), open it, click the menu button on your phone and select "Install OpenRecoveryScript", tap "Yes" on the Confirm screen and the latest TWRP recovery will be automatically installed on your phone. By the way, on this phone, kernels and recoveries are not tied together...

marksde

Jul 16, 2011
Update supersu?

Just rooted MA7, worked perfectly!! Once it rebooted, it is already saying that there is an update to supersu, is it safe to update that?

Zeuszoos

Aug 9, 2012
- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
- Unzip the attached Odin3-vX.X.zip file
- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
- If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
- Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
- Click the Start button
- Wait for Android to boot
- Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

- NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ;)) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

You may now optionally want to install and run Triangle Away to reset the flash counter.

Dude! This is too cool! I have been trying other methods that *were* working with my Note 2, but no longer do. Mine would not Root.

Then I tried this one, because I saw the recent date on it and it worked *flawlessly*! :)

Thank you so much!!!

What I am wondering now (maybe somebody knows), is if there is any way to OverClock my Note 2 now??? Does anyone know of a reliable OC util that will work with my Note 2, understanding that I took a Factory Stock Note 2 and used ONLY this Rooting method on it?

I do not wish to install a whole new ROM or anything. I'm looking to take what I have and just OverClock it. Like you do with the A1 OC util on a Galaxy Tab 10.1" (P7510). I assume it just installs a Kernel that can be overclocked, without changing the ROM??? Sorry if I have my terminology mixed up. I'm no expert, but I can do it if I have good instructions, like with this Rooting method. :)

Thanks again for the great Rooting method and thanks in advance to anyone who can help me overclock my Note 2!

wilderckw

Apr 14, 2011

I did ran it it ran perfectly it rebooted but I don't have root. Any ideas? I even did it twice I tried installing twrp it says it did but I can't boot to it

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

Mighty Mike

Jan 7, 2008
On MA7 (new phone) and I want to root because I NEED wifi tether. Used CF on the ET4G. I was wondering if AllShare Cast will still work after rooting with this method. I read where other methods made AllShare not work. Something to do with the Triangle and modified system.

Chain, there is a beer in to for you if your method allows AllShare to work. And a big hug! :highfive:

chamucoliz

Jun 13, 2010
mc2 update

for those wondering if this will root mc2, yes it will root it and work great.
steps of what i did
triangle away (there is an app made by chain on playstore) i purchased it and i would recommend it first it helps developer and it is a great tool
then i returned to a stock room and did the mc2 update, lost root plus lost twrp
keyreset device
then use cf root tool

works great

m5james

Aug 27, 2010
is this working with the update from 4/24/2013?

I don't think my issue is update related because I've always had random issues with getting ODIN to see my phone (three cords last night and still no luck) for rooting purposes, so hopefully tonight goes better. Since the update I've simply lost the ability to tether, which sucks because I've been happy that I get 4G at my house. Anyone have issues with the computer seeing their phones?

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

for those wondering if this will root mc2, yes it will root it and work great.
steps of what i did
triangle away (there is an app made by chain on playstore) i purchased it and i would recommend it first it helps developer and it is a great tool
then i returned to a stock room and did the mc2 update, lost root plus lost twrp
keyreset device
then use cf root tool

works great

I'm running a stock ROM, I am/was only rooted, nothing more and only did it once. Are you saying I have to Triangle Away to reset to 0 and completely reset my phone before I can redo the rooting?

chamucoliz

Jun 13, 2010
Triangle away is just to reset the counter to 0 if you flashed rom , if you never flashed rom then no need for the app also I always do a key reset just because sometimes I get problems with the update, so I rather key rest and then root it saves me from having issues on stock rom

m5james

Aug 27, 2010
I'm sorry, but what is "key reset"? Like an I going to have to backup my texts, restore settings, redo my email app, etc vs just something simple like clearing cache?

m5james

Aug 27, 2010
Finally got rooted. After using three computers, searching Google for some "gadget serial" because I kept getting that issue. After searching that, it led me to another thread on these forums, which then led me to upgrading the Samsung USB Drivers from 1.3.8 to 1.5.18.0 which then fixed my issue. I don't have the link off hand, but here is the link for the newest drivers.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5kcxc1yovvl6740

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Check your device model ! Settings -> About device -> Model number. This stuff is made for the SPH-L900, if your model number has a suffix, it may not work, or if it is a totally different model, it will not work (may even brick) !

CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
    CF-Root has been available for many device (Galaxy S1, Galaxy Tab 7", Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3) and has clocked over 8 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Stock recovery

Installation and usage
    Flash the CF-Auto-Root package as PDA in ODIN (details on how to do that are in next post), and your device should reboot into a modified recovery (signified by a large red Android logo) and it will install SuperSU for you and restore the stock recovery, and reboot back into Android.

If you don't get to the red Android logo, boot into recovery manually ("adb reboot recovery", or boot while holding Power+VolUp+Home).

Using this root increases your flash counter. You should run Triangle Away (see below) after rooting to reset the counter. Note that if you want to run custom kernels or custom recoveries, your flash counter will be set to 1 at every boot. Either configure Triangle Away to reset the counter at every boot (Play version only) or only reset the counter when you need to go into warranty.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Not included - Triangle Away
    Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
    As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
    [CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
    For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.
    ODIN Installation (detailed)

- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
    - Unzip the attached Odin3-vX.X.zip file
    - Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
    - If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
    - (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    - Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
    - Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
    - (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
    - Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the Start button
    - Wait for Android to boot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

- NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ;)) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

You may now optionally want to install and run Triangle Away to reset the flash counter.
    Download

2013.05.20 --- CF-Auto-Root

SuperSU: v1.30

Download: CF-Auto-Root-t0ltespr-t0ltespr-sphl900.zip

--- History ---
    2013.05.20: SuperSU v1.30
    2013.02.20: SuperSU v1.05
    2012.12.02: SuperSU v0.98
    2012.10.31: SuperSU v0.96
    Triangle Away will be released in an hour or so :)
    All CF-Auto-Root's have been updated with SuperSU v1.05 today !