Jul 30, 2010
boston
Oh yes they are thry released the kernel to blow a whole

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App

ViViDboarder

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Come on people, stop whining! (at least in this thread).

We all want to see this through by any means and we'll just need to be patient or keep working. Venting frustration in the Dev forum isn't really going to help.

If you want to vent AND be helpful, vent on the HTC Facebook page or bug them over email and Twitter. Frustrated customers can be a strong motivator, but I doubt HTC cares much about what is said in this thread.

So I hope this post is encouraging.

quailallstar

Jan 22, 2007
Google Pixel 8 Pro
[GUIDE] Fre3vo / Fre3dom Official Thread

#teamwin is proud to announce the Fre3vo tool for the HTC EVO 3D and Sensation!

What is Fre3vo: Fre3vo is a temp-root acquiring tool, allowing users access to a root shell on their HTC EVO 3D and Sensation devices.

What is Fre3dom: Fre3dom is the name of the tool being developed to enable S-OFF on the EVO 3D and Sensation.

ETAs:
Fre3vo: Available Now!!! http://tinyw.in/1lJ
Fre3dom: No ETA yet.

Prereqs:
1. You must be able to push files via adb to your device.
2. You must know what a shell is.

Instructions:
1. Download the fre3vo zip
2. Unzip the fre3vo binary
3. Push the binary via 'adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp'
4. Change the permissions via 'adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo'
5. Run the binary via 'adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo'

If all goes well, you'll be kicked back to your computer's command prompt. (Some may get more messages, but it seems the Sensation buffers the stderr more than the EVO 3D)

run 'adb shell' and you should have a '#' prompt instead of '%'.

This is temporary root. A reboot will clobber it. Also realize that the system partition is nand-protected (at least on the EVO 3D) so writes won't stick for long, and there will be issues getting tools like Titanium Backup to work. We are still developing upon this huge stepping stone. We look forward to hearing methods other developers have found to build temp root to either make the device better, or gain perm root even.

This *IS* a work in progress.

Worked like a charm on the first try ;) Thank you.

PortableTech

Dec 22, 2007
Please forgive my tired brain if I am way off track here, but tell me if this makes any sense given my limited understanding of processes and permissions.

We have now a situation where we can for a short term run processes with super-user privileges. Also, unless I am mistaken (and I may well be) the permissions that a process has are determined at launch time, and thus a processed launched with su permissions should maintain them until terminated.

Assuming that this filesystem reset that occurs to undo the changes we have made does not go terminating processes at the same time, would it not be possible to write a program that would continue to run in resident memory with su privileges and watch for the file system to revert, and then when it sees this action, the process could, using its existing su privileges, put things back the way we want them?

I am making several assumptions here, so please feel free to educate me on my fallacies. Either way, thanks for taking the time to hear me out.

Oh, and to the great folks whom put this temp root together, it works wonderfully. Your efforts, time, and dedication are greatly appreciated.

--Mia

DigitalPioneer

Oct 26, 2009
Mia:

What happens to lose the root is a reboot. We make changes to the is, but the flash memory rejects them so when the os boots again, the changes are reverted. In a reboot, all processes are necessarily terminated.

Until you reboot, you get to be root. :p

Alternatively, the os may try to write your changes to the flash memory while running, and it gets an error when the memory says "no." In this event, the os forces the filesystem to be read only, and no changes can be made until (you guessed it) you reboot.

Tilde88

Nov 5, 2008
Is it just me or does SU(app) only work for one program per root? IE... I root everything good... open TiBu fine... SU allows... Then go to SetCPU ... root failed... go to TiBu, still has root... try to open SU app FC... reboot... reroot... SetCPU opens, allows... Try TiBu fails. Rinse + repeat.

Hmm... weird... Now SetCPU always works and TiBu never... guess ill read the TiBu threads.

Last edited:

wake69

Jul 20, 2010
Is it just me or does SU(app) only work for one program per root? IE... I root everything good... open TiBu fine... SU allows... Then go to SetCPU ... root failed... go to TiBu, still has root... try to open SU app FC... reboot... reroot... SetCPU opens, allows... Try TiBu fails. Rinse + repeat.

Hmm... weird... Now SetCPU always works and TiBu never... guess ill read the TiBu threads.

with alot of these methods, SU is not stickied and if you are not running the su loop script in adb su will fail. try one of the new bat files here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1159354
and see if that works for you, it is getting good reviews thus far and i am looking to try when i get home. need to bring micro usb to work:p

Zarboz

Known Scammer
Mar 5, 2009
Denver
Reactions: wake69

mikeyxda

Jul 2, 2010
Florida - Gulf Coast
www.ddisoftware.com
Does anyone know why fre3vo will run if you execute it via adb, but it fails with "this device is unsupported by this exploit" if you put the exact same command (/data/local/tmp/fre3vo) in a shell script (root.sh) and you run that script form the phone without adb? Why does the same command work via adb but not in a script when you run it from the phone?

If this could be addressed, we could easily have permanent root or at least be able to root from the phone without a computer.

Mike

urcboss07

Aug 4, 2007
Does anyone know why fre3vo will run if you execute it via adb, but it fails with "this device is unsupported by this exploit" if you put the exact same command (/data/local/tmp/fre3vo) in a shell script (root.sh) and you run that script form the phone without adb? Why does the same command work via adb but not in a script when you run it from the phone?

If this could be addressed, we could easily have permanent root or at least be able to root from the phone without a computer.

Mike

Why don't we try to put temp root file into apk, and we can install it on the phone without going back and fort with pc after each reboot? Just an idea.

Nieylana

May 2, 2010
Because adb shell runs runs under the shell user and shell group which has access rights to /dev/msm_rotator. A terminal application or any apk for that matter does nt run under the correct user or group and therefore cannot access the device :)

Reactions: Scott

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
Because adb shell runs runs under the shell user and shell group which has access rights to /dev/msm_rotator. A terminal application or any apk for that matter does nt run under the correct user or group and therefore cannot access the device :)

Ahhhh, that explains it. Thats why they were asking for a terminal app with full perms. Make sense now!

mikeyxda

Jul 2, 2010
Florida - Gulf Coast
www.ddisoftware.com

Any other way to run under shell.shell without adb? Will Terminal Emulator from the market do it?

Mike

Nieylana

May 2, 2010
Any other way to run under shell.shell without adb? Will Terminal Emulator from the market do it?

Mike

nop, unfortunately every application (read APK) that is installed on the device is given it's own user, an exploit of some sort would need to be found to add that user to the Graphics group in order to properly access the msm_rotator device. :(

xHausx

Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
I know there are already half a dozen root scripts posted so I figured one more couldn't hurt. This is just something I threw together for myself but wanted to post it in case anyone else wanted it. After running fre3vo I used Eugene373's trick of putting su under vendor (from here), installed busybox and then loaded coolbho3000's OC module for overclocking.

The OC module included I modified to work with the 1.11.651.2 kernel so odds are you will need to swap it out with the right one for your phone in before it will work. You'll also need the newest version of setCPU, 2.2.4 atm, from the market. So far every root app I've tried works and I haven't had any trouble OC'ing once the module is installed.

Thanks for all of this go Team WIN for root, eugene373 for the su idea and coolbho3000 for set CPU and the OC module.

Attachments

• 3DROOT-6.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Reactions: Vdubtx and OMJ

OMJ

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Jun 11, 2007
MN
twitter.com
I know there are already half a dozen root scripts posted so I figured one more couldn't hurt. This is just something I threw together for myself but wanted to post it in case anyone else wanted it. After running fre3vo I used Eugene373's trick of putting su under vendor (from here), installed busybox and then loaded coolbho3000's OC module for overclocking.

The OC module included I modified to work with the 1.11.651.2 kernel so odds are you will need to swap it out with the right one for your phone in before it will work. You'll also need the newest version of setCPU, 2.2.4 atm, from the market. So far every root app I've tried works and I haven't had any trouble OC'ing once the module is installed.

Thanks for all of this go Team WIN for root, eugene373 for the su idea and coolbho3000 for set CPU and the OC module.

thx bro!.....

fastamx79

Jul 4, 2010
Chicago, IL / Sioux Falls, SD
Just double checking before I take the plunge.. you mentioned this is for 1.11.651.2 I have 1.11.651.3

Is it just a typo or did my phone do some sort of update on its own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GUIDE] Fre3vo / Fre3dom Official Thread (Discontinued)

#teamwin is proud to announce the Fre3vo tool for the HTC EVO 3D and Sensation!

What is Fre3vo: Fre3vo is a temp-root acquiring tool, allowing users access to a root shell on their HTC EVO 3D and Sensation devices.

What is Fre3dom: Fre3dom was the name of the tool being developed to enable S-OFF on the EVO 3D and Sensation. This has been abandon since AlphaRevX has announced on twitter that they've had the devices open for weeks now.

Fre3vo can be downloaded here: http://tinyw.in/1lJ

Prereqs:
    1. You must be able to push files via adb to your device.
    2. You must know what a shell is.

Instructions:
    1. Download the fre3vo zip
    2. Unzip the fre3vo binary
    3. Push the binary via 'adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp'
    4. Change the permissions via 'adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo'
    5. Run the binary via 'adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo'

If all goes well, you'll be kicked back to your computer's command prompt. (Some may get more messages, but it seems the Sensation buffers the stderr more than the EVO 3D)

run 'adb shell' and you should have a '#' prompt instead of '%'.

This is temporary root. A reboot will clobber it. There are many threads with scripts for doing what the community has dubbed "perma-temp root", which lets you run all your root-based apps.
    [Reserved for future details]
    [More reserved for future use]
    This thread is closed. When this rom is ready to go, then it can be re-opened, until then I don't see any actual development ongoing in here.

agrabren - PM me when your ready to post the rom.
    To clarify: Fre3dom is on track. Fre3vo^2 is also on track. Just saying that we're telling HTC about the bug that gives us temp-root.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk